Arkwright Street

It used to be said of Nottingham that there were: 'Two Girls for Every Boy' (Jan & Dean's hit of the 60's). :biggrin:

But judging by Stu's statistical chart, it's proved to have been a myth! :ohmy:

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May i also tell a little story about Arkwright St shopping which remains with me to this day circa 1963 I went into" KEEVERS" (spelling may be wrong) to buy a scalextric for my young brother which was

Around 1969/1970 I ran a second hand book & record shop on Arkwright Street called "Moonshine". It was so phenomenonally successful that no-one on the planet apart from myself now remembers it. Wh

My aunty Grace went to live on Arkwright Street in February 1958 - she lived in a flat over the top of Jessie Robinson's fish shop, next door to a butchers which was on the corner of St Saviour's Stre

Posted Images

Can't say I ever counted but it always seemed that way on Saturday night in town in the 60s and they were all gorgeous. This must include some of the current readership!

Can't say I ever counted but it always seemed that way on Saturday night in town in the 60s and they were all gorgeous. This must include some of the current readership!

You're such a flatterer, Deeps. Seeing the photos of the meet-up though, I think you could be right.

That's called beer goggles !!!........................I think I'll miss the next meet up on doctors advice............................ slywink

Just dumping some photos ! then i spotted the police car ?

14-05-2012016.jpg

O' NO all the shops have gone! The Snackery fish n chips and the cafe my mum worked at in the 50s before the owner moved to the Snackery, still "The Queens" still there (cinema)but for how long.Sorry going for a little cry..

watch it beefy we might not all still have the looks and figours we had in the 60s but we can all still give you a run for your money and you are a lot younger than all of us ladies lol

State I'm in at the moment I've no doubt even you could beat me Babs !! ....LOL

Re the Queen's yes still there but not as a pub, had to look twice as at first glance I thought it was somewhere in the USA given both the paint job and shape of that police car! what is it?

perhaps the uk blues brothers they got a car like that ammerican police car

I tried to figure that out too, but can't read anything on the car. It looks a bit like a Chrysler, but it could be anything. Strange to see in Nottingham!

Good morning radfordred...Are you imposing on us? Shadows of street signs and buildings don't seem to match the shadow from the car to my tired old eyes.

slywink

Re the Queen's yes still there but not as a pub, had to look twice as at first glance I thought it was somewhere in the USA given both the paint job and shape of that police car! what is it?

No not the pub the bit behind the police car is the back of the cinema with the entrance to the side of the workman,3penny rush saturday morning

Was not aware there was a cinema there? all I recall was that shop was a motorbike one in 1960's, can't recall it's name though unless Blacknell's? round the corner in later years (1980's?) there was a dress shop, people took stuff there and they displayed and sold it for them taking a % , wife got some good items cheap I recall

Was not aware there was a cinema there? all I recall was that shop was a motorbike one in 1960's, can't recall it's name though unless Blacknell's?

I wasn't aware of that either, but take a look at this thread and Post #35, scroll down to Queen's/Midland Electric. Would that be the place we are talking about?

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3939&st=20

(Just realised when I first posted this, I didn't actually put the link in)

• Upvote 1

Trust me gentleman that was the Queens cinema,I will always remember going there in 1954/5 to see Doris Day in Calamity Jane because I did not go to bed that night as we had to catch a train around 2.00am to Derby and then down to Harwich to catch the "Black Knight" to the Hook of Holland for 2 weeks in Hamburg.Somethings you remember all your life,onthe ship back it was so rough women and children were all found bunks and a couple of cars which were hooked down on the deck were lost overboard.

When I return and walk the Medders I often go past the old entrance and look up at the curve of the building as it remains as was..