Arkwright Street

horse's head! was the mafia involved in that murder?

can well imagine that cinema now from those photos, reminds me of another thus but at moment can't think where, it would also seem from 30 year old memory that the clothes shop I referred to was in the former entrance to the cinema

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May i also tell a little story about Arkwright St shopping which remains with me to this day circa 1963 I went into" KEEVERS" (spelling may be wrong) to buy a scalextric for my young brother which was

Around 1969/1970 I ran a second hand book & record shop on Arkwright Street called "Moonshine". It was so phenomenonally successful that no-one on the planet apart from myself now remembers it. Wh

My aunty Grace went to live on Arkwright Street in February 1958 - she lived in a flat over the top of Jessie Robinson's fish shop, next door to a butchers which was on the corner of St Saviour's Stre

Posted Images

Just dumping some photos ! then i spotted the police car ?

14-05-2012016.jpg

I know that livery

Its Pasadena PD California!

They'r just off to British Transport Police office for a Cuppa.

Funny you should say that because I remember when there was a railway carriage in front of the "old station " on London Rd which was a cafe we use to go in on the way to buy "coke"(can I say that) if i remember right it was 2/9p a quarter.The tea in the cafe was shocking kept on a hot plate and so stewed and the "rock cakes" not much better anyone else remember it?

• 4 weeks later...

I dont see the point in demolishing all these buildings, yet leaving 3 that have been empty for years, do they think that once the tram goes past these they will be desirable lettings?

They probably will be thought as thus, such is the power of brainwashing!

As a teenager Arkwright street was as 'good as it got' for shopping.All the important stuff, like records,clothes,and a pub.

The more I see of the city in the pic's that are posted, I wonder if anything will be left of the old city I grew up in,on my visit this October.

Hope they don't do away with 'Goose fair'.

The more I see of the city in the pic's that are posted, I wonder if anything will be left of the old city I grew up in,on my visit this October.

I live outside Nottingham now, and when I lived in Arnold two years back rarely went to the city...driving through the other week I was amazed at the number of new buildings,and didn't rate any of them.

YES GOOSE FAIR STILL THRIVING NOW 5DAYS RATHER THAN THE THREE ITS HAD ALWAYS BEEN THAT WAS SURPOSED TO HAPPEN FOR JUST ONE YEAR ITS 700TH AND THAT WAS ABOUT 10YEARS AGO ANY EXCUSE TO BREAK ITS TRADITIONS I USED TO LOVE TO GO TO THE OPPENING CERIMONY AND HEAR THE MAYOR SAY IM THE MAYOR THAT OPENS THE FAIR FOR THREE DAYS ONLY AND I BELIVE ALTHOUGH THE MAYOR STILL DOSE THIS ON THE THURSDAY ITS NOT THE SAME AS ITS ALREADY UP AND RUNNING FOR 24 HOURS AND LAST SUNDAY TILL ABOUT 9PM ITS NOT THE SAME SO I DONT GO ANY MORE.IT DID OPEN ON A WEDNESSDAY FOR ABOUT 5 YEARS BEFOR THAT BUT THAT WAS ONLY CERTAIN STALLS AND RIDES FOR A FEW HOURS IN THE AFTERNOON TO ALLOW SPEACIAL NEEDS CHILDREN TO GO WHEN IT WAS NOT SO BUSY AND NOISY ALSO ELDERLY AND OTHER DISABLED GROUPS COULD GO ON THIS DAY TOO. I WENT TWICE WITH A GROUP OF AUTISTIC CHILDREN I WORKED WITH.

ANYWAY MUDGIE WILL GIVE US A GOOD EXCUSE FOR OUR MEETUP IN OCTOBER THEN AND HOPE TO SEE YOU DOWN WHITE HART ON THE THURSDAY NIGHT TOO I WILL SEE IF WE CAN GET JEFF AND SLIM DOWN TOO JEFF I AM TOLD WAS AT THE REUNION ON THE 9TH BUT I DID NOT SPEAK TO HIM AS I DID NOT SEE HIM WAS TOLD AFTER THE EVENT AS I WAS FACE PAINTING MOST OF THE TIME TILL ABOUT 8PM AND MISSED A LOT OF THE PEOPLE I WOULD HAVE LIKE TO HAVE SEEN AND SPOKEN TO.

re that photo, What are those strange wires in the sky? thought at first it was for some new invention rumoured to be a troll ee bus, as if that will work? they haven't even got trams there yet! silly name too, what's it got to do with Norsemen?

Thanks for putting that picture of Bridgeway hall on, brings back memories when I was a nipper, used to stand outside the doors with my grandparents selling poppies on cold November afternoons in the late 50s early60's I'd only be about 7 or 8

Rog

no not nasty still love side cars hope to have one again next year had lots of fun over the years, including sleeping in it a few times much warmer and more confy than a tent if you knew how to make up a bed from the seats.