Arkwright Street

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May i also tell a little story about Arkwright St shopping which remains with me to this day circa 1963 I went into" KEEVERS" (spelling may be wrong) to buy a scalextric for my young brother which was

Around 1969/1970 I ran a second hand book & record shop on Arkwright Street called "Moonshine". It was so phenomenonally successful that no-one on the planet apart from myself now remembers it. Wh

My aunty Grace went to live on Arkwright Street in February 1958 - she lived in a flat over the top of Jessie Robinson's fish shop, next door to a butchers which was on the corner of St Saviour's Stre

Posted Images

Just looked through all the pages in this topic for the first time.

I havn't been down Arkwright Street since 2010, I had no idea all the buildings had gone. When I was working, we often used to stop at the cafe for bacon sandwiches in the mornings, can't remember which one, weren't there two cafes (or sandwich shops) on the east side?

What struck me though is, when the new tram line is built, it won't need anything like the area of land that's been cleared.

I suppose the planners thought let's wipe the whole of Arkwright St off the map while we're at it!

My Nan lived on Muskham St. From the 70's I remember on Arkwright St.the record shop,the toy shop, the Army surplus store on one side, on the other side there was a newsagent, a hippy book shop, the Viking cafe and of course the New Bridge Inn where I had several of my very first pints.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the pictures of the 'new' bridge over Midland station replacing the 'old' GCR bridge which was removed only about 30 years ago!

Do you know if they are rebuilding all the viaducts as well on the way to crossing the Trent?

I'll be very interested to see the route across the river to West Bridgford.

It is basically the GCR route isn't it?

Thanks very much for that Cliff, very helpful.

It looks as though there are some sharp turns on the route from Midland station southwards (obviously something that trams can cope with that trains can't), but it is basically the GCR route and it even looks like they will be using the same position for the bridge crossing the Trent. (Probably using the original foundations too!)

I'll have to organise a trip up to Notts to go and have a look when the route is finished.

I did the same when they opened the Robin Hood line and also when the tram route was opened to Cinderhill.

When hatchet man Beeching closed all those lines in the 60's he never considered the value of infrastructure - probably didn't even care. He was paid to do a job and simply carried out the wishes of a short-sighted government.

I don't for one moment think that every line should have been kept open - there was after all an enormous amount of duplication, but it's interesting how so many of these 'new' transport initiatives are on disused railways. Even the channel tunnel route used lots of them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi

I used to live at The Queens Hotel during my childhood, spent a decade of my life there and it holds a lot of memories. yesterday I was talking about the past and thought i would Google it. was surprised to see an application for demolition, but can understand as it looks an eye sore now. just a pity it couldn't be saved as a restaurant/bar has a lot of potential.

Hi

I used to live at The Queens Hotel during my childhood, spent a decade of my life there and it holds a lot of memories. yesterday I was talking about the past and thought i would Google it. was surprised to see an application for demolition, but can understand as it looks an eye sore now. just a pity it couldn't be saved as a restaurant/bar has a lot of potential.

My Uncle worked behind the bar at the Queens Hotel in the 60's, to get some pin money.

• Upvote 1

When you look at the Queens from the outside, on both sides of the building you can see a row of windows which have half-disappeared under the pavement. In earlier days the road level was raised, and the hotel became one storey less than it used to be.

queen.jpg

Anyone who was ever in the place, did you go in the windowless rooms?

• Upvote 1

When you look at the Queens from the outside, on both sides of the building you can see a row of windows which have half-disappeared under the pavement. In earlier days the road level was raised, and the hotel became one storey less than it used to be.

I lived just around the corner on Summers Street in the 1940's and 50's, and the Queens was like that back then.

queen.jpg

Anyone who was ever in the place, did you go in the windowless rooms?

I went in there, but as a young child the rooms and caves under the Queens used to scare me..

NTGM017356.jpg

Get that horse and cart out of the way! People want to look at the footpath outside the pub.

If you search Arkwright Street on PTP, you will find a similar building at the same intersection of Arkwright Stret, Queens Drive etc with the same architecture. Apparently the building was a bank built in the 1840s and the street gradient alongside the buildings walls is the same as the Queens Hotel.

NTGM015051.jpg

Ref No:

NTGM015051

Town Village:

Nottingham,_Meadows

Arkwright Street North - Queens Road

Title:

Arkwright Street North, Meadows, Nottingham, c 1900s-1920s

Further Information: The increase in commercial activity in the Meadows led to the Nottingham and District Bank erecting a new branch in 1884.

Another point is that the Queens Hotel in Arkwright Street is also described as the Queens Head Hotel in Arkwright Street. Is this just an error by PTP and others since Kimberley also had a Queens Head Hotel or, did the Arkwright Street establishment lose her head along the time?

NTGM012496.jpg

Ref No:

NTGM012496

Town Village:

Nottingham,_Meadows

Arkwright Street - Queens Road - Queens Drive junction

Title:

Arkwright Street, looking south, showing the Queen's Head Hotel

• Upvote 1

I found the one with the irritating horse and cart, but didn't get round to posting it. I also found this one which suffers from a similar problem! People and animals are always in the wrong place at the wrong time.

enlg.jpg

I believe that the photo' in #216 captures the inaugural meeting of the Nottingham branch of the White Stick Pointing Association, a very popular pastime at that time as evidenced by the crowds it attracted, but which unfortunately lasted only a few years and fell out of favour when folk realised that they could point just as well, even though not as high, with just their fingers.

the windows are completely different though in the 'bank' photo, (arched) and yet it would make sense that its the same building

the windows are completely different though in the 'bank' photo, (arched) and yet it would make sense that its the same building

I don't think that bank is the same buildng? if it was then lots of alterations (1920's photo) then removed and reverted to old style?

I think the explanation is because....

The increase in commercial activity in the Meadows led to the Nottingham and District Bank erecting a new branch in 1884.

So the horse-and-cart photo and the "white-stick" photos show the pre-1884 building, although the "Bank" photo is obviously post-1884.

Circa 1875, old building, with Tinkers Leen still open

bank75.jpg

Circa 1910 with the Bank, Tinkers Leen half-buried

bank12.jpg