Arkwright Street

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May i also tell a little story about Arkwright St shopping which remains with me to this day circa 1963 I went into" KEEVERS" (spelling may be wrong) to buy a scalextric for my young brother which was

Around 1969/1970 I ran a second hand book & record shop on Arkwright Street called "Moonshine". It was so phenomenonally successful that no-one on the planet apart from myself now remembers it. Wh

My aunty Grace went to live on Arkwright Street in February 1958 - she lived in a flat over the top of Jessie Robinson's fish shop, next door to a butchers which was on the corner of St Saviour's Stre

Posted Images

Duncans and Jacks corner of healey st did ham off the bone with one of those slicers that was always cutting the end of peoples fingers off and there used to be a smelly cheese shop next to stoppards pawnbrokers on arkwright st kept cheese in the cellar as a kid i could never understand why bookmakers had blacked out windows and nobody EVER emerged with a book silly names like Jack Hardy and LSD partners.

• Upvote 1

Hi Everyone

I used to work at Johnsons Cash Registers on Arkwight Street. We had Sandersons Tripe and Cow Heels on one side and the Arkwright Meat Market on the other. I used to go out with one of the girls from the Midland Bank which was near by. The old manager Mr Flint was Ex Navy. You knew your loan was aproved if you were in the office more than 2 minutes.

The chip shop by the bus sheds is still there. We used to get fish & chips or chips & pie and then drive down to the Embankment for lunch. Don't know what its like now days.

http://www.jcrnottm.co.uk/85-years/4558187640 is a picture of the old shop next to Tom Sandersons.

The chip shop REPLY 240 was one of our customers. My mother was delivering a new machine to them when some light fingered local decided to pick it up out of the back of the estate car and leg it down the street. He was chased by my mother and someone from the shop. He ran down one of the many twitchals with the machine. They were not light so he must have been fit. Anyway they followed and he must have run out of steam as he had left it behind and disappeared.

We also looked after a lot of the cash registers in the local pubs and shops.

We are still going and moved to Hockley in 1972 just before it was all demolished. There are still some of the old cash registers down there as we left all the old machines and parts in the cellar when we left.

• Upvote 3

The Porters Arms was one of the first pubs I went in, very early 60's. The landlord had a nice daughter, worked at Ericssons.

User 1:

Thanks for the photo.

Brought back some memories of my being sent there on a Saturday to get some tripe and a (cooked) ham bone by Dad.

Often I had to wait until they had finished selling sufficient ham, to sell the bone. But I dare not go home without one!

TTFN

• Upvote 1

I see they have now got rid of the Naval club to build the new tram extension.

Remember the cafe at the top of the side entrance (they ran hot dog stall around town at nights) And Dr Foley's surgery down the alley on the right?

Daunting, dank and dark.

The waiting room where you had to wait for the dispensing nurse to light the gas fire with a bang?

And one of me favourite chippies opposite the entrance, the Friary?

TTFN

• 2 weeks later...

coming along arkwright st towards midland station turn left into waterway st then immediate lleft into wide ally back of arkwright shops think under railway bridge bloke sold cars from lockup can anyone else remember

I got a bicycle from a second shop on Arkwright Street, it was near the railway bridge, don't know the shop name but it could be Kevas toys and second hand shop as Basfordred said in post #268

I worked at the Co-op (19 Store)on Arkwright Street for a while.

No fridges then, everything fresh went into the cellar - slid down shiny planks of wood for yours truly to stop em and stack em in their correct places.

I recall one delivery day in summer, and a 60lb crate of Danish butter was lobbed down, and I mishandled it, and it smashed into the brickwork as I tried to control it - and burst open! Runny butter all over the cellar and me, and a rollicking from the manager followed.

I was not allowed to forget this for a long time!

Tsk!

There was a TV/Radio shop on Arkwright St next door to the chippy at the top of Summers St. I think it was called Hames. We bought our first telly there. Remember my Grans telly, it had an awfully small screen with a big magnifying glass in front.

There was grocers shop down near the bridge called "Meadows". I think they were part of a chain. Had an Aunt who worked there. They used to sell broken biscuits to us kids for a fraction of the price of unbroken ones. So who remembers buying half a pound of broken biscuits, please Miss?

There was also a TV shop on the same side as the Sir Richard Arkwright, a few years to the south, a mate of mine was the Tech in there and showed me one of the first colour TV's they had, being checked out on the bench before being sold..Damned if I can recall the name of the shop...To much water has flowed under the bridge since then..

I reckon my Mum and Dad bought our first telly from a shop on Arkwright Street in 1955. Was there a TV shop down there called Alex Owen?

That rings bell, Alex Owen... I think they rented TVs like wot Wigfalls (Carrington Street & others) did.

Alex Owen had a few branches as far as I remember . They certainly had a concession in GEM at West Bridgford when I worked in there. Got a tuner amp from them and as I have mentioned before , I remember when they had a bargain bin of discontinued 45s singles.

Not your usual tat but lots of Pye International and other American stuff for about a shilling each.

There was laneway/alley on the right just passed the bridge on Waterway St, that ran up almost parallel to Summers St, then turning into Summers St. If I recollect correctly there were lockups along it, but they may have been attached to the backs of houses.

The ones i recall were on the left but i think you are right there was also a narrower entry on the right.The one on the left was a dead end i think the shops on arkwright st had their back yards run from stoppards end.

There was laneway/alley on the right just passed the bridge on Waterway St, that ran up almost parallel to Summers St, then turning into Summers St. If I recollect correctly there were lockups along it, but they may have been attached to the backs of houses.

The ones i recall were on the left but i think you are right there was also a narrower entry on the right.The one on the left was a dead end i think the shops on arkwright st had their back yards run from stoppards end.

You can see most of that on here.

summers.jpg

Thanks for the map. Clif Ton. it's brill. It has brought back some memories, and questions.

The green line was where the sewers ran, and above it the outside loos. They alternated between the Summers St house loo and the Queens Drive house loo. The houses on Queens Drive were significantly better and bigger than those on Summers St, yet they also had outside loos? I supposed dependant upon when they were built as to whether houses would have had outside or inside loos. So when would these have been built approx? Anyone know?

summers1.jpg

PS I lived where the red arrow is pointing.