Arkwright Street

Dont know but some of those houses on queens drive would have been pretty grand in their day thinking about it they probably moved out of the grandure when the backs to backs were built cant imagine they built them after back to backs were built .

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May i also tell a little story about Arkwright St shopping which remains with me to this day circa 1963 I went into" KEEVERS" (spelling may be wrong) to buy a scalextric for my young brother which was

Around 1969/1970 I ran a second hand book & record shop on Arkwright Street called "Moonshine". It was so phenomenonally successful that no-one on the planet apart from myself now remembers it. Wh

My aunty Grace went to live on Arkwright Street in February 1958 - she lived in a flat over the top of Jessie Robinson's fish shop, next door to a butchers which was on the corner of St Saviour's Stre

Posted Images

Wrong end the posh uns were on the the right they backed on to annersley st and summers st i think.

They looked pretty posh from the Queens Drive side. Yet they seemed to also have outside loos, alternating with the Summers St outside loos down the middle per the map. This is the aspect that intrigues me. Assuming they were built in the mid 1800's, were outside loos the norm for most city houses then?

Alison cc Can you remember if those that backed on to annersley st had outside loos unlike the ones on summer st they backed directly on to annersley st and am i right in thinking that there was steps to the rear of anersley st

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody mention 'The Chequered Flag'.

I have a feeling it was the usual sliding glass doors car showroom which were replaced by the Hong Kong restaurant.

As a lad, I parked my Carlton racing bike ( bought from Andy Bones of course ) against the wall, pressed my nose against the glass and looked at the TR3s and Austin Healeys.

You needed string backed driving gloves and a flat hat to go in there.

• Upvote 1
  • 9 months later...

The last shops on Arkwright Street, in both senses.

arktop.jpg

This is what the the top end of Arkwright Street looks like now. It is all that remains of the shops which used to be the length of Arkwright Street (and I don't know how long these few will survive). It used to look like this.

ark2-2.jpg

And going round the corner onto Queens Road, this is all that remains there; and am I right in remembering that the pink building used to be a motor-bike dealers?

arknow-1.jpg

• Upvote 3

Great pics Cliff.

So sad to see when I remember what it used to be like.

I'd love to know what the long term plan is for this street, and indeed the surrounding area.

It seems almost as though they've just wiped out whole streets and shops without consideration as to what they will replace them with.

I've said it before, I think it will be a shiny new tram line drifting through a 'ghost town'.

• Upvote 1

The whole area is undergoing a bit of a makeover at the moment, mainly due to the tram expanding out to the south, and it looks better than it has for many years. This is now the view looking down Arkwright Street (on the right).

ark3.jpg

That view may look a bit empty, but the tram goes on a viaduct behind the old bank building. It comes out on the ramp in this photo below. The road in the foreground is Arkwright Street - about where I've marked a red cross in the photo above.

ark4.jpg

Re the pink shop it was indeed a motorcycle dealers,am told in earlier years it was part of a cinema the entrance to such was was the "shop" next to the bank on Arkwright Street which in the later 1970's or early 80's was a clothing sales shop you took your used stuff there, left it for a few weeks , if it sold you got the money less a reasonable fee, if not you got it back, my wife got some vey expensive when new boots and dresses there cheap

What a lovely nostalgic thread this is read through.

In #9518 would the initials AMR stand for Attenborough Model Railways, or was that somewhere else in Nottingham?

Smiffy

I was born on Waterway street a few door away from Arkwright street towards London road, moved elsewhere when a baby, not sure if that part was considered posh? My Auntie & Uncle & cousins lived there till they moved to Colwick road late 60's. I can remember a place we called the bull-yard between Waterway street & Crocus street where I used to play with my cousins (The Bentleys) ..

Is'nt the building above, the one planned for construction?

Also there were at least two other restaurants on Arkwright Street.

The "Hong Kong"? I think was the name Near to the Navy association club.

(which is still there). The hong Kong was one of the first chinese in Nottingham

There was also an Indian, I cant remember the name of it, but it was owned by

David Meah's dad. (he also had one on Alfreton Road). It was almos opposite the Bridgeway Hall.

Near to Orange Street was petes Chippy.

I got kicked out of the other chippy nearby for using their salt & vinager

on Chips bought from petes :D

the other chippy was the Robin hood.chips not as nice as Pete's

Fine Fare was definately there, not sure of the year but I would think about 1968 if not before? I remember collecting cards from Birds Eye fish fingers from Fine Fare,I was after the Paul Mcartney card & when I got it out it was all greasy!

The ladybird shop Smithylass is refering to was there as early as 65,I know that because my mum always bought we girls a new outfit for the bank holidays,& so we could march with my dad on the Embankment with the buffs. My dad died in 66,so it would have been there at least a couple of years before.

As well as the pubs Ilko remembers, I remember the Magna Carta,the Greyhound, the Town Arms & also the Plumtree Arms

Caz

there was also a pub called The Star. Midland station end of Arkwright st.one of many of my dads old haunts

Does anyone kow where Orange Street was ? I have found Orange gardens . My grandfather was born on Orange Street in 1900 and would be iterested to know what kind of house it was. I am assumig some type of terrace. His family moved to Colwick Road some time between 1905 to 1916.....

orange st ran between bunbury st and Arkrwight st, and Bell st ran off it .There were a few houses that were directly on orange st, arkrwight st end, and the rest of the houses were in terraces that ran off orange st., maybe about 10 houses in each terrace, and I think there was about 4 or 5 terraces, my grandma lived in the one nearest to bunbury st.

So sad......Arkwright Street is in name only compared to what I remember from the late 50s-early 60s. London Road is the same and let us not talk about the changes in the City.

Thank God I still have my memories of those days....................

• Upvote 2
  • 2 months later...

If it was bensbooks it was next to bridgeway hall at one time it was

Selecta disc I think flewitts the bakers was near,I am sure

there is a picture on here somewhere,perhaps cliffton,can help,I dont

think it was next to the star of india if it is the same shop I remember,I have posted about bens book shop on here ,could this be your grandad ,the ben I knew was a smallish man with glasses,he had a good sense of humour.

@cliff ton thats the place! sometime later im told he moved his business to Radcliffe Road - not sure what year that would have been, ill have to ask my Dad on that one.

Out of interest what year are those Photos from?

@a charlesworth, definately sounds like my grandad - wicked sense of humour! Ben (Bernard) Stainsby was his name. Sadly no longer with us...but never forgotten

• Upvote 1