Arkwright Street

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May i also tell a little story about Arkwright St shopping which remains with me to this day circa 1963 I went into" KEEVERS" (spelling may be wrong) to buy a scalextric for my young brother which was

Around 1969/1970 I ran a second hand book & record shop on Arkwright Street called "Moonshine". It was so phenomenonally successful that no-one on the planet apart from myself now remembers it. Wh

My aunty Grace went to live on Arkwright Street in February 1958 - she lived in a flat over the top of Jessie Robinson's fish shop, next door to a butchers which was on the corner of St Saviour's Stre

Posted Images

The shop I recall was ajoined, to bridgeway hall on arkwright st ,he rented lower floor to market trader ,I used to do odd jobs for ben when I was a kid ,fetch pot of tea and sandwich ,you could take your own pot then,he got me job with market traders like , counting and bundling,pencils ,and christmas paper,ben used to offer me a handful of pennies or sixpence,I would ask him to see how many pennies he could hold ,it was a lot more than sixpence,so I asked for a handfull of pennies somehow I ended up with tuppece conning bugger,seriously

though he were a nice bloke,could your grandad have had this shop

definitely not the one above,perhaps your dad might know.

The shop I knew would have been 60s

• Upvote 1

Sorry to hear your grandad no longer alive,if it was the ben I knew he was a very kind funny man ,me and a couple of other kids often put our heads round the door for a bit of banter its people like him that bring us to this site because we long for those fantastic meadows characters and humour.really were happy days

#193 first shop ajoining bridgeway hall was bens bookshop,selectadisc

I went to the place on Arkwright Street a few times in the late 60s, and it's mentioned in the threads on record shops. http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8063&hl=

and that thread includes this photo of a scene I don't remember, where there were two Selectadisc shops nearly side-by-side. The one on the left is the original small one, and the one on the right must have come later when they expanded.

arkwr.jpg

• Upvote 1

Brain Selby expanded it very quickly. I think there were 3 shops at the same time in Notts.

Arkwright Street, Bridlesmith Gate and Goldsmith Street.

And they were in various other places at different times (Canal Street and Market Street).

The other shop on Arkwright Street was for imports and second-hand if I remember rightly.

I think there's still a Selectadisc in London at Berwick Street. Famously featured on the cover of the Oasis album, (What's the Story) Morning Glory? Though Brian had sold it a few years before he died in 2012.

Didn't he start with just a stall on Mansfield Market ?

I know there was a Selectadisc in Loughborough for a while. Not sure if he opened any more shops in the Midlands.

I loved going to the different branches in Notts. They were great places to hang out.

• Upvote 1

I spent so many hours in Selecta-disc sifting through the used lp's late 60's early 70's. I bought most of my stuff there. I've no recollection of ever going in the other one though. The Army Surplus next door, with the stuff hanging outside, was another of my regular haunts.

Whenever I was going into town and time wasn't pressing, I'd always walk up Arkwright St instead of catching the 43, I just loved the shops.

I think there were 3 shops at the same time in Notts.

Arkwright Street, Bridlesmith Gate and Goldsmith Street.

And they were in various other places at different times (Canal Street and Market Street).

I don't remember anything on Canal Street. Where exactly?

Christmas 1964. There was a small shop on the opposite side to the Midland station, about 100 yards (not metres) further on, toward Trent Bridge. It had a variety of goods, many electrical. It was about 5pm on a Saturday evening just before Christmas. My father took me there in his van and in the window wasa red electric guitar with a tremelo. It was 14 guineas. £14 - 14/- That was to be my Christmas present. That magical moment and the vision of the dark, Christmassy evening on Arkwright Street; the shop and when I saw the guitar and he asked me if I would like it, is imprinted in my memory and will stay with me forever.

• Upvote 3

#348 do,se anyone remember the Cafe that must have been next door or even at the same shop that used to be run by Janice And her Mum Lil cant remember the year it must have been around 1966/7 when Andy Bones bike shop was there.My mate was Jans brother and he bought an Itom motorbike from Andy Bones I,ve still got it its done 2614 miles from new .

• Upvote 1

Christmas 1964. There was a small shop on the opposite side to the Midland station, about 100 yards (not metres) further on, toward Trent Bridge. It had a variety of goods, many electrical. It was about 5pm on a Saturday evening just before Christmas. My father took me there in his van and in the window wasa red electric guitar with a tremelo. It was 14 guineas. £14 - 14/- That was to be my Christmas present. That magical moment and the vision of the dark, Christmassy evening on Arkwright Street; the shop and when I saw the guitar and he asked me if I would like it, is imprinted in my memory and will stay" with me forever.

May i also tell a little story about Arkwright St shopping which remains with me to this day circa 1963 I went into" KEEVERS" (spelling may be wrong) to buy a scalextric for my young brother which was in the window(my only sibling is 16 years younger than me) Mr Keever served me I think there was just him,I paid him and he said did I know it needed a transformer to work it,no said I and told him I have put all my money in to buy it for my brother,are you sure its for your brother he asked,yes said I and explained the age difference,I could see he was moved by this being I think jewish he did no more than gave me the transformer.

As I write this I have in front of me my copy of "THE MEADOWS REMEMBERED" and on page 71 is a delegate of shop owners from 1970s at the Guildhall to complain about the traffic and parking on Arkwright St Mr Keever is the man in the middle in the leather coat.......

That kindness will stay with me forever......

• Upvote 5

Re. post #359

Cliff.

Apparently it was 162 Canal Street.

Selactadisc Black Magic.

I think they sent out the mail order stuff from there.

Also, in 1983 Selby started a club in the old Lace Market called The Garage.

I don't remember it myself, but apparently it championed a lot of the Chicago Garage stuff that became popular in the late 80's.

He was a genuine music entrepreneur.

Although he insisted on any cheques for Selectadisc stuff be made payable to B. Selby.

#365 jewish business men were rife in the 60s,most of the ragtrade was owned by jews for example,burnhams that ran at the side of the railway

Opposite midland station,most kind people.

Does anyone remember the tool shop on arkwright st it was a couple of

doors down from stoppards.

Apparently it was 162 Canal Street. Selactadisc Black Magic. I think they sent out the mail order stuff from there.

Although he insisted on any cheques for Selectadisc stuff be made payable to B. Selby.

If it was the mail-order base, that would explain why I never went there.

And yes, I always remember the sign on the wall behind the counter in the shops saying "Cheques to be made payable to B Selby".

My aunty Grace went to live on Arkwright Street in February 1958 - she lived in a flat over the top of Jessie Robinson's fish shop, next door to a butchers which was on the corner of St Saviour's Street........there was a row of houses next door to them which joined onto the church and a fortune teller lived in one of them, I was only twelve/fourteen at the time and used to go and stay with my aunty a lot, I can remember wheeling my cousins in their pushchairs around all the winding streets and terraces........We used to sit at the front window watching the trolley buses go up and down, there always seemed to be lots of people passing.......across the road was a street called Kirkby Street with a factory on the corner, my aunty used to pop over and do a day's work for pin money whilst I watched her two children......

...I can remember St Saviour's church and Glebe Street which led onto London Road and Orange Street ocross the road opposite from them where I hung around with girls called Mary and Sandra........My aunties family used to go to a swimming baths on Portland Street every Friday for a bath as they did not have a bathroom..........In the summer we woud walk to the Embankment to a park...........brings back lots of memories for me.............

• Upvote 4

Wonderful memories. Confirming the strong sense of community that was part of everyday life.

It's something that town planners and local government oiks have no concept of.

All these areas we've been talking about reduced to rubble and replaced with low cost, high rent buildings and one-way systems.

Or just open space.

I wonder if they give any thought to the notion that people might actually live there?

• Upvote 2

The town planners think of nothing but lining their pockets.............

#366, "Does anyone remember the tool shop on arkwright st it was a couple of
doors down from stoppards."

Was that the one just a few doors down from Kirke-White Street??

If so, I still have my set of Elora sockets, extensions I bought socket by socket in the mid 60's. They gave me good service through my working life and were in regular use daily.