Arkwright Street

TBI, I also have a set of open ended Acesa spanners I bought there too, still in perfect condition, gave me many hours of service. The Elora brand was the only one that fitted Belmos flameproof switchgear bolts, due to the counter boring. Britools and other makes were just too thick walled. My Elora's were abused heavily, but have never let me down over the years.

I think I have other tools I bought at that shop, that gave me good service.

I remember one nightshift, my assistant chargehand was saying he'd bought some good allan keys from the cattle market, first time he used on it twisted, we called them lead allan keys.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May i also tell a little story about Arkwright St shopping which remains with me to this day circa 1963 I went into" KEEVERS" (spelling may be wrong) to buy a scalextric for my young brother which was

Around 1969/1970 I ran a second hand book & record shop on Arkwright Street called "Moonshine". It was so phenomenonally successful that no-one on the planet apart from myself now remembers it. Wh

My aunty Grace went to live on Arkwright Street in February 1958 - she lived in a flat over the top of Jessie Robinson's fish shop, next door to a butchers which was on the corner of St Saviour's Stre

Posted Images

I passed the shop many times but only went in there once, with my dad, who bought an adjustable spanner, a ' Stillson ' he called it. I remember him moaning about the price though, he was a bit tight! lol

I bought a set of Tipco tools when I was 15 out of my mums catalogue I,ve still got them apart from a pry bar I left under a bonnet,none of them have worn out ,and I used them every day for work not bad for 50 odd years ,I think I paid 7/6d a week for them (37.5 p)

TBI, he was a lot cheaper than other tool shops I visited. The bag of tools the NCB sold us apprentices had box spanners, they were handy now and again, but you didn't want to lug that bag all over the pit, was far too heavy, hence sockets. Most of the time, even as a tradesman, I could fit the tools I routinely use in my overall pockets and some on my belt. Shifters and a couple of ring spanners I carried on a large curtain ring. They could hear me "jangling" well before they could see me.LOL

I have a Tipco 1/2" drive universal joint bought around 1965/6, not used very much in all those years, but better to have one and not need it, than be stuck on a breakdown and need it.

The tool shop I meant was between waterway st and cromford st,stoppards was on the corner of cromford st tool shop was 2 doors up arkwright st towards waterway st,the guy who owned it drove the new

square shape zepher of the time nice bloke one of my car wash customers I worked in the shop for a bit when I left school

I cant remember a tool shop near kirkwhite st ,between kirkwhite st and cromford st were,selectadisc,flewitts bakers,lyons tuffee shop,andy bones bike shop,then palmers cleaned his car for years but cant remember what he sold,he later had a plastic moulding business upstairs making the removable strips they had on car doors for a while

think they were supposed to stop you bashing your door,anyone remember them,he later moved to a building on ghe corner near mundella school

near the tennis courts near the embankment

No Andy, it wasn't Kirkwhite St, I misread ayupmeducks post. I think the tool shop was actually on the corner of Arkwright St/ Waterway St, about three or four shops up from Stoppards. You can see part of it on some photo's - something & Son Ltd

The only one I remember was the one on Arkwright St, a few doors down from Kirke-White St on the left as you walked towards town, there was also a cafe run by a couple of Greeks near it.

Timeframe was around 1964 to 1969. Might have been Spanish, I do recall the Greek chip shop that you're on about, they used to make great chicken with curry sauce with chips, great after a few bevvies in the "Arkwright"

• Upvote 1

Thats where I tasted my first curry, on top of half a dozen pints of Mansfield Bitter, good combination.

Din't Howard Molson have a Spear and Jackson shovel with brass rivets? was there much precipitation down Arkwright street in them days.

Black pudding were very black,even white bits were black

(just loved Ripping Yarns)

Rog

• 1 month later...

I seem to remember A-Cold had another shop on the opposite side of Arkwright St, up by Andy Bones cycle shop?

Also, is it just me or is Picture the Past random in it's responses? Exactly the same search can either provide loads of hits or zilch.

Also, is it just me or is Picture the Past random in it's responses? Exactly the same search can either provide loads of hits or zilch.

I know what you mean. Have you also noticed that there are two Search options on the PTP homepage; and they produce different results.

I only knew Blacknells right at the Trent Bridge end of Arkwright St.

Me too. If it helps, according to PTP, that photo shows the junction of Arkwright Street and Newthorpe Street.