Arkwright Street

Cheers Cliff, glad it's not just me then.

As the search on the home-page bar only shows recent additions/changes, I never use that. The map search 'show thumbnails' doesn't show all the images available much of the time, if at all. The ' start your search ' box is my first course and mostly works, but sometimes won't produce any results, or very few. Maybe it depends on the level of PTP site usage at any given time or it's just me, I don't know.

In fact, using it now to get anything for The Meadows/Arkwright St is hopeless so I've given up for the moment.

I was just trying to pinpoint the other A-Cold. I can't remember if it was up by Andy Bones or back the other way nearly opposite St Saviours St. Or if I'm having a senior moment, which is quite possible. :)

Edit: searching by subject within tools is now giving hits, hurray. But now my right-click won't work to save any images grrr.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May i also tell a little story about Arkwright St shopping which remains with me to this day circa 1963 I went into" KEEVERS" (spelling may be wrong) to buy a scalextric for my young brother which was

Around 1969/1970 I ran a second hand book & record shop on Arkwright Street called "Moonshine". It was so phenomenonally successful that no-one on the planet apart from myself now remembers it. Wh

My aunty Grace went to live on Arkwright Street in February 1958 - she lived in a flat over the top of Jessie Robinson's fish shop, next door to a butchers which was on the corner of St Saviour's Stre

Posted Images

Between bridgeway hall and stoppards was bens books flewitts bakers

Lyons sweet shop (fag machine on wall)another shop or 2 then andy bones with a terrace at the side then there was a lighting shop with

Gibsons factory on the corner .

Posted this because1or2 checking I am still here.

• 3 months later...

Around 1969/1970 I ran a second hand book & record shop on Arkwright Street called "Moonshine". It was so phenomenonally successful that no-one on the planet apart from myself now remembers it. When Brian Selby (Selectadisc) got involved in the business of bootlegging American soul records and putting them out on his various labels (Green Light, etc) my friend, the late and very much lamented Nottingham DJ Derek Allen, wrote a letter to a soul music magazine denouncing him for it. Wisely, he hid behind the pseudonym "Angry Soul Brother D". Unfortunately, "D" also happens to be my own initial, and since my shop was only a short walk down the street from his Selby immediately assumed that I was the writer. On the day the letter was published he burst through my door and demanded, in a tone of voice that betrayed some irritation, to engage in conversation with "Angry Soul Brother D". Eventually he left without wishing me a Merry Christmas. Ah, happy times...

• Upvote 4
  • 2 months later...

Icarus I used to spend all my pocket money on records at your shop and Selectadisc tho sorry I don't recall the name :( My rogue brother used to sell my records to Selby and then I would buy them back again! I used to know which were mine as I always wrote my name on the label 'Cass' but using the German double S that looked liked a B with a tail. I had forgotten all about that until I just read your post!! It was quite near the Bridgeway Hall - is that still there?

• 4 months later...

What planet are you on Ian? ;)

you are lucky to get a shop on these new estates let alone a pub. :(

There is a tram stop near where The Cremorne used to be there is a small apartment there now

The nearest pub? The Ferry Inn Wilford just over the toll bridge.

• 4 months later...

An average photo of Arkwright Street - at the junction with Cromford Street - in 1973.

arkwrightcromford_zpsrg5zvdlv.jpg

But the sign on the wall caught my attention. You can borrow £1 for 5 pence monthly. Even in 1973 surely that was a bit extreme.

arksign_zpsb7n5e1j8.jpg

The first pay-day loan. Proto-Wonga.

• 8 months later...

A brilliant pub. Many a lunchtime session there in the early 70's before a Forest match !

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...