Arkwright Street

5 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

Doors, boot and bonnet were ally up until mid 1962. Correction, they were actually Birmabright.

The rover that was before the sd1 I think it was the p6 had an aluminium bonnet and boot, if only all the panels were alloy, the rear wings used to rust away terrible.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May i also tell a little story about Arkwright St shopping which remains with me to this day circa 1963 I went into" KEEVERS" (spelling may be wrong) to buy a scalextric for my young brother which was

Around 1969/1970 I ran a second hand book & record shop on Arkwright Street called "Moonshine". It was so phenomenonally successful that no-one on the planet apart from myself now remembers it. Wh

My aunty Grace went to live on Arkwright Street in February 1958 - she lived in a flat over the top of Jessie Robinson's fish shop, next door to a butchers which was on the corner of St Saviour's Stre

Posted Images

P6 had ally boot and bonnet as you say. The front and rear wings on them were dirty great mud traps. Half a dozen bolts and they were off tho'.

For all you Meadow folks, there is a new site, not long started up it's called

I'M FROM THE MEADOWS AND PROUD OF IT 

as my father and most of his family came from the meadows I am a member of this site.

34 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

For all you Meadow folks, there is a new site, not long started up it's called

I'M FROM THE MEADOWS AND PROUD OF IT 

as my father and most of his family came from the meadows I am a member of this site.

Sounds interesting, what's the full name of the website please?

3 hours ago, Smiffy49 said:

Sounds interesting, what's the full name of the website please?

I just type in I'M FROM THE MEADOWS AND PROUD OF IT   (IN CAPS)

Any probs contact me

9 hours ago, mary1947 said:

I just type in I'M FROM THE MEADOWS AND PROUD OF IT   (IN CAPS)

Any probs contact me

Googled it in various permutations and getting nowhere.

• 4 months later...

My uncle worked behind the bar in the Queens Hotel when they were trying to get enough money together to move from Clifton and buy a house on Bread and Lard Island. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, IAN123. said:

TBI..or Den might shed a little more light..other than The Star.

1972.62328.1.280.99999.unpad.jpg

Yes, the Star Inn was always Shippoes.  Funny, I know it wasn't exclusive but I always associated white-painted pubs as Shipstones. Nice bustling picture Ian, not strictly 'my end' of Arky. Just to the left out of shot was where I had my driving lessons, Trent it was called I think. Quite a few Medders folk would have learnt to drive there. Just to the right past the canopy was Jon Stoppards pawnbrokers, you can just see his balls hanging out the front lol. Next along the Gibsons factory with it's 'Woollaton' brand which always seemed to me to be a spelling mistake. Two of my haunts, Army Surplus stores just a bit further up and then of course the Mecca that was Selectadisc, (two shops at the time of the picture).

One thing I'd forgotten was there were no parking restrictions, you could stop where you liked!  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TBI said:

something House, Baldwin?

Baldwin house, Head office of H J Baldwin,brick makers, Loughborough road Bunny,Notts

Rog

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...

Here goes!!!

Back top right Morris Minor

Standad  8 or 10 

Austin MG

Ford Consul

across from car with it's back to us which is 

Austin A 40

Hilman Singer

Ford Consul

Vauxhall

not sure how many are correct.

Maybe they should have followed the arrow in the photo.

Well at least I got 1 right 

Austin A 40 

Nearest to us:

Ford 100e Popular

Austin Healey Frog eyed sprite

Morris Oxford

Morris 1000

Standard 10

Opposite side.

Can't tell

A40 Farina

Ford Consul Classic

Standard 10

Humber or possibly a Lanchester  though I could easily be persuaded I'm totally wrong. The grill is reminiscent of Sunbeam Talbot and if someone said late 30's early 40's Hillman Minx I would believe it...

Can't tell the make posted by CT