Arkwright Street

Just past the bridge on the left was the 'Star of India' one of Nottinghams first asian restaurants. On the Right was a school of motoring where I took my first driving lessons.

Can you remember any other stores or locations on Arkwright Street?

In order to traverse the southern portion of the city of Nottingham, the London Extension, had to be carried on a series of purpose built viaduct and bridges. Here we can see one of Nottingham's numerous girder bridges - this one crossing Arkwright Street close to the Midland Railway's station. Arkwright Street would eventually boast a station of its own, which would in turn become the northern terminus of the line after it was truncated in 1966. Of interest in the picture are the horse-drawn tram lines set into the road surface, and the 'Whitworths Cigarettes' advert outside the shop on the right. This rain soaked image was taken sometime around 1897.

post-11-1089410524_thumb.jpg

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May i also tell a little story about Arkwright St shopping which remains with me to this day circa 1963 I went into" KEEVERS" (spelling may be wrong) to buy a scalextric for my young brother which was

Around 1969/1970 I ran a second hand book & record shop on Arkwright Street called "Moonshine". It was so phenomenonally successful that no-one on the planet apart from myself now remembers it. Wh

My aunty Grace went to live on Arkwright Street in February 1958 - she lived in a flat over the top of Jessie Robinson's fish shop, next door to a butchers which was on the corner of St Saviour's Stre

Posted Images

• 3 months later...

:ph34r: I remember Blacknell's, that's where i bought my second motor bike from.

They were a Yamaha dealers back in the 60s, also i remember the Navy club just down from Midland station, in fact i think it's still there.

The Star of India was the first Indian Restaurant my wife and i ever went into. :ph34r: and we have never looked back since :D

post-11-1098214891_thumb.jpg

Is'nt the building above, the one planned for construction?

Also there were at least two other restaurants on Arkwright Street.

The "Hong Kong"? I think was the name Near to the Navy association club.

(which is still there). The hong Kong was one of the first chinese in Nottingham

There was also an Indian, I cant remember the name of it, but it was owned by

David Meah's dad. (he also had one on Alfreton Road). It was almos opposite the Bridgeway Hall.

Near to Orange Street was petes Chippy.

I got kicked out of the other chippy nearby for using their salt & vinager

on Chips bought from petes :D

There was also an Indian, I cant remember the name of it, but it was owned by

David Meah's dad. (he also had one on Alfreton Road). It was almost opposite the Bridgeway Hall.

:ph34r: The indian that you mentioned would that be near to the Navy club which i was a member for a number of years in the 60s, and if so i recall it being called the Purple Elephant, I mybe wrong and i stand to be corrected.... I think it was opposite the Club.... :ph34r:

post-11-1098269232_thumb.jpg

Yes the Purple Eliphant is correct, Brill!

The 'Star of India' was opposite the Navy Lark, The Purple Elephant was just before the second road on the left as you walked down Arkwright Street from Navy Club towards Trent Bridge. Ajn old map should confirm the location.

I had never seen Indian Food in those days and remember visiting the Kitchens

with David who was a friend from TB. What strange concoctions were the the meals.? A total mystery to me. Unlike modern times, when I survive solely on curry, when working late shift.

Ilko

I think you might be right, to complicate matters the Hong Kong close to the

Navy Lark, also changed to an indian during the late 70's or early 80's?

And what was the name of that?

Guest smithylass
now i may be wrong as i was vey young at the time :D but did arkwrite street also cover the shops,fine fare the ladtbird shop which was a great shop if u were a little girl !! so u guys can pass on that bit !! now i also remember near fibe fare a zebra crossing that crossed over to i think a dentist/dr,and then just around the corner was rhyhi;; street and i also rem a furniture shop too,mum bought many pieces of furniture from there....now if i have the rt street ! i was knocked down on the crossings when i was about 10...caz will be able to tell u more i am sure....if these shops wasnt arkwright street where were they !

I don't remember a Fine Fare?

There was Trent School of motoring, where I took my driving lessons in 1970,which was just under the train bridge on the left coming from town.

There was large factory on the corner near to The Arkwright street station on the right, then a sort of big yard(name?) with houses, and the next block on the right had a cooked meat shop and a model train shop, then came the Bridgeway hall.

Can you remember the names of any of the Arkwright street pubs?

• 2 weeks later...

Fine Fare was definately there, not sure of the year but I would think about 1968 if not before? I remember collecting cards from Birds Eye fish fingers from Fine Fare,I was after the Paul Mcartney card & when I got it out it was all greasy!

The ladybird shop Smithylass is refering to was there as early as 65,I know that because my mum always bought we girls a new outfit for the bank holidays,& so we could march with my dad on the Embankment with the buffs. My dad died in 66,so it would have been there at least a couple of years before.

As well as the pubs Ilko remembers, I remember the Magna Carta,the Greyhound, the Town Arms & also the Plumtree Arms

Caz

Does anyone remembr the toy shop on Arkwright Street going towards town, before Bridgeway Hall,I think it was called Keivers?? [not sure how that's spelt] I think the guy who ran it was Jewish? It was the most fabulous shop, a real Treasure chest of every toy you could imagine.

I also remember Juvels the bakery, over the road on the corner facing Fine Fare which was on the opposite corner. The jam doughnuts were my favourites,they were very greasy but delish.

Caz

• Upvote 1

Hello Ilko,

It's funny you saying Keevahs? was expensive, my significant other [Andy] said exactly the same thing. He has a great memory for all those little bits.I just remember it being a wonderland for us kids,& I always remember looking through the window when it was cold,didn't we windowshop in the summer do you think? Andy says he remembers they had a Scalextric in the window for a long time & the shop owner had taped down the triggers on the hand controls to keep the cars running. They also had in there a racing boat,a foot & a half long & it was some form of primutive jet propulsion, you had to put a chemical into the boat to get it going, [Andy thinks it was an alka seltzer tablet!!!] would have made him the star of the paddling pool if he had been able to afford it :( Andy's hard earns were kept for playing the Pinny at Chingers.

Anybody remember Chingers???

Caz

Ahhhh my old local, Sir Richard Arkwright, many a good pint was sunk in that pub! Mansfield Brewery, still from the wood when I started drinking in there in 1965 just before my 18th, whoops!!! oh well, nowt wrong wi truth!

Chris and Anne ??? were mine hosts then and when they retired Barrie Price took over. I worked for him as a barman at weekends and the odd night during the week when I wasn't on shifts at Clifton pit.

Met my ex missus there when I was behind the bar, probably should have changed locals at that point....LOL

Might be a couple of members remember me from there!

There use to be a chippie near the TBI thats served curry and chips to eat out, used to walk up there after closing time for a bag of curried chicken and chips to eat on the way home.

John

• Upvote 1
Chingers was on Muskham St,with houses on either side of it.

Caz

Anyone remember chingers??

• 1 month later...