Arkwright Street

Opposite that block was a road that ran off at an angle.

On the corner was a showroom type place, which was

quiet pointed, due to the shape of the Junction?

In the early 70's it was a car accessory shop.[/b]

If my memory serves me right that angled building on the corner was a chippy in the mid 60s.

Baz :blink:

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May i also tell a little story about Arkwright St shopping which remains with me to this day circa 1963 I went into" KEEVERS" (spelling may be wrong) to buy a scalextric for my young brother which was

Around 1969/1970 I ran a second hand book & record shop on Arkwright Street called "Moonshine". It was so phenomenonally successful that no-one on the planet apart from myself now remembers it. Wh

My aunty Grace went to live on Arkwright Street in February 1958 - she lived in a flat over the top of Jessie Robinson's fish shop, next door to a butchers which was on the corner of St Saviour's Stre

Posted Images

Maybe?

But wasnt there a chippy directly across the road, on the Midland station side of Arky?

Which pub was that you worked at.

I worked further up the road in The Horse and Groom.

I don't know when it was closed down but I think it might have been some time ago.

I'm not sure about a chippy on that side of the road.You're not thinkig of the chinese restaurant are you???

Baz !cheers!

Hang on, Memories coming back.

That pub has now gone, and its near the bottom of exchange walk,

Stood to the left of what is now mcdonalds?

That's the one but the facade wasn't like that.

It was just a courtyard entrance with a big swing gate on it when I was there.

Lousy ale though.Shippos.

Baz :ph34r:

• 9 months later...

Hi all

Coming from town on the right just before the rail bridge was Andy Bones cycle and motorcycle shop and next to that a shop selling weighscales, can't remember the name at the moment. On the other side of the bridge was a pawn shop (note the spelling) I'm sure it was still there in the late sixties still doing trade,

Cheers for now

Roger

• 6 months later...

i used to live at the back longs the chemist on arkwright st and i often went to ozzies because he used to repair radios and he taught me how to repair them,i was about 10 , then we moved to healy st, i used to climb over our back wall on to arkwright st , the record shop was sharmans,

can anyone remember the music shop on the righthand side near to the boots social club ?it wood be in the 70s . it was run by a big fella with long hair. his name was johnny hobs . he also did turns at the weekends in the cremorne with a chap called maurice

• 7 months later...

I too remember the little toyshop, me and me brother used to race round there from Grans house on London Road, they sold peashooters, remember them?

Can anyone remember the Meadows Inn? it was half way down on the left hand side, sold double diamond, always went in there before the match.

Also Boothby's batterys near to st saviours church, there was an electrical shop close to there where I bought my first tranny radio.

• 1 month later...

In the Bond film You only live twice, there was a small helicopter called Little Nell. I am sure i saw this once in a shop window/workshop on Arkwright st. Did anyone else see this or was i dreaming?

There was /is a local bloke (Ken Wallis ) who designed /built and flew "Little Nellie" . He often performed the 'Flying under the suspension bridge ' trick at the "Riverside Festival" I have just tried to download something off of You tube for you Den but it seems to be running too slow at the moment

• 2 weeks later...
Fine Fare was definately there, not sure of the year but I would think about 1968 if not before? I remember collecting cards from Birds Eye fish fingers from Fine Fare,I was after the Paul Mcartney card & when I got it out it was all greasy!

The ladybird shop Smithylass is refering to was there as early as 65,I know that because my mum always bought we girls a new outfit for the bank holidays,& so we could march with my dad on the Embankment with the buffs. My dad died in 66,so it would have been there at least a couple of years before.

As well as the pubs Ilko remembers, I remember the Magna Carta,the Greyhound, the Town Arms & also the Plumtree Arms

Caz

Does anyone kow where Orange Street was ? I have found Orange gardens . My grandfather was born on Orange Street in 1900 and would be iterested to know what kind of house it was. I am assumig some type of terrace. His family moved to Colwick Road some time between 1905 to 1916.....

• 2 months later...

Hi Mariag,

I think Orange street was between Bunbury street bus sheds and the Trent embankment, I think the last lot of houses to be built there was in the late 40s early 50s, the last time I was down there (mid 70s) probably more houses have been built since then

Rog

The indian that you mentioned would that be near to the Navy club which i was a member for a number of years in the 60s, and if so i recall it being called the Purple Elephant, I mybe wrong and i stand to be corrected.... I think it was opposite the Club....

Bip - there was a resturant on the left, just after Queens Road - called the Golden Curry. I know it was still there when the meadows were being demolished. We used to get the occasional mouse scampering down the tables! The guy who ran it - a lovely man, but I forget his name - then moved up to the restaurant on Alfreton Road - just below where Starline Taxis had their offices. Does this ring any bells?

The Indian that you mentioned would that be near to the Navy club which i was a member for a number of years in the 60s, and if so i recall it being called the Purple Elephant, I mybe wrong and i stand to be corrected.... I think it was opposite the Club....

The Indian you mention, was on the opposite side to the Navy club, and was in the shadow of the Railway Bridge serving the High level station off Arkwright.

It was a small place, but my first Indian meal was eaten there. It was called "the Star of India"

I believe the Purple Elephant was on Alfreton Road, and may Have been the other place (apart from Arkwright St Golden Curry) owned by the Miahs mentioned here before.

I remember on the corner of Queens Rd, shortly before the demolition of the Meadows, a big antique and curio shop that was run by Tony Olivero previously one of the partners of the Blade Club (Burton St.?) the other being the greengrocer Bernard Patrick Smith (BPS Central market)

In a previous post there is a mention of Lee & Goodchild who had a shop on Nuthall Rd...trouble is my memory is of Lee & GoodJOHNS...I may be wrong.I used to buy meccano sets and bits off them.

There is also mention of a model train shop near the bridge...they had a first floor showroom with a giant set up of 00 guage trains and coaches etc.I seem to remember the guy up there was deaf and some of my brothers mates (Not me) nicked no end of rolling stock off him when he wasn't looking.

My brothers mates used to call in a tobacconists round there to get a 'joystick' for a few pennies ...damned long cigarettes sold singly and about twice as long as an ordinary fag.

Paul.

I remember on the corner of Queens Rd, shortly before the demolition of the Meadows, a big antique and curio shop that was run by Tony Olivero

That reminded me, If you walked down Arkwright Street from town on the right hand side, past the Star of India, and under the railway bridge,

There was a Large corner Pawn Shop, with the three balls sign.