• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just returned from a 5 day break in Paignton & Mrs C & I noticed an old lady traveling on her own never got off the coach at rest breaks on motorways etc. Asked if she wanted to stretch her le

Live scenes from the Euro tunnel

Be careful of the snipers.

• 4 years later...
  • 10 months later...

What is your most amusing holiday memory ?

Some years ago I was in Menorca and following an overnight storm, I was the following day swimming in a very choppy Mediterranean. Talking to my brother in law as we swam, I suddenly said to him "Gott Im Himmel" or words to that effect as six feet from his shoulder a world war two mine complete with spikes had just surfaced.

Distancing ourselves at a rate of knots we returned to the beach whereupon I pointed out to sea and advised a nearby German that it was his responsibility to sort it out. "Achtung Minen" he shouted and in true Teutonic fashion, took control and cleared the sea of bathers.

When my relative by marriage had ceased goose stepping up and down the beach he stated "Ve build zem good in Deutschland, 6 to 4 it could still have sunk a pedalo ".

The crew of the Spanish gunboat which subsequently arrived, in true Spanish style, attempted to locate the mine by jabbing a boat hook into the murky waters, but perhaps fortunately for them the mine had already travelled onwards, and thus prevented them from blowing off the bow of their own boat.

Nowadays if they had sunk their boat the EU would have bought them a new one out of our contributions, but that is another matter altogether. 

• Upvote 1

Just returned from a 5 day break in Paignton & Mrs C & I noticed an old lady traveling on her own never got off the coach at rest breaks on motorways etc. Asked if she wanted to stretch her legs at one such break she said that she was frightened of getting lost !

The poor old lady was deperate for the loo but kept hanging on ! She had a little bit of dementia & easily lost her way around.

Every time we stopped thereafter she was taken for a stroll (& back) by Mrs C.

• Upvote 7
  • 2 years later...

We shoulda been at Wroxham, Norfolk this week. So we decided that we would have our coffee outside, overlooking the grounds. 'Er indoors thought it would be a good idea to place a bowl of water on the path in front of us and pretend it was our River Bure, and we'd wait for a trip boat. Margie, you coulda joined us. Pretend journey home tomorrow. Think of the fuel I've saved.

• Like 1

Sadly the government classed Mrs Red & I key workers, so not much day to day change for us :( could have done with our jollies.

News, occasionally watch the local news, outside of Nottingham does not really effect me. 

Beekay,

Don’t forget to put signs everywhere to make it a bit more authentic.

Roy’s Garden
Roy’s Kitchen

Roy’s Living Room

and so on....

• Like 1

Good point that, Rob. However, as we are this side of the bridge, then I  agree with you. On the other side of my bowl of water is Roys community centre and Roys  dustbin cupboards! Not forgetting Roys gazebo. All can be seen from our bench, under the kitchen window. Keep safe pal.

Ps. Next meet up I'll bring you a stick of Roys rock. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Just looking for pointers and see what the team thinks. I know we are by far not the only ones who are in this predicament but we just don't know  if we  have to wave bye bye to our deposits paid on two holidays in England, booked pre virus.

The first is two weeks in a caravan on the East Coast, our annual cycling break for last two weeks in May. The other one is a week at Deal at the end of June. Both, I would say are gone. We wouldn't even  risk it this year even if given the all clear.

I just wondered what our rights are , seeing as we have no choice with the virus restrictions, and where to start. At the moment we have just accepted the money has gone. The two deposits amount to £600, not a lot to some people, but tis to us?

I booked a cottage in Ireland for June. I decided to cancel it due to the virus and restaurants and pubs and other facilities being closed. I lost £100 deposit, I don't think I can claim on insurance.

Carni, I can only tell you of my experience. We should have been at Wroxham this week but we were sent an email mid March saying that Broad tours were closing, so no holiday. They offered us a choice of, either a later date this year or a transfer to 2021. I responded by asking about a refund, because we don't know what's happening next year. They replied by saying that at this point they are only offering transfers and not considering refunds as they haven't technically cancelled any holidays. If we wanted to pursue a refund we should get on to our insurers. My feeling was "they've had the money and can't offer a holiday. It's not our fault, so why should the insurance have to cough up? In the end, we decided to opt for the same week next year. We have a Warner break in December, with the balance due in September, so don't know whether to pay it or not. I understand if I pay by credit card I should be able to get my cash back. Will wait and see at the moment on that one. They all have the loophole of saying " They aren't cancelling". Hope this helps Carni. (Did you pay by credit card or whatever?).

3 hours ago, carni said:

The first is two weeks in a caravan on the East Coast, our annual cycling break for last two weeks in May. The other one is a week at Deal at the end of June.

Phonecalls made. The East Coast caravan holiday first. The person Chris spoke to says, we can re book for later in the year, but at this stage they are not taking re bookings for next year. We have to phone again in two weeks???  (How can we predict the situation later in the year)???

The holiday at Deal. The deposit has been retained for next year, we just have to get a date sorted with Daughter/G,Daughter. Must be quick, I imagine quite a few people will be in the same boat. 

If they have cancelled the holiday I would have thought they would return your money. Ryanair expect it will take 6 months to refund payments due to cancelled flights.

• Like 1

Like I said Carni, they offer you a transfer/rebooking, so they haven't actually cancelled so not obliged at this stage to offer a refund. We transferred to next April, but how can you be sure you will be available?

Denshaw, I don't quite think Ryanair fly to the East coast or Deal, so not much help to Carni. :rolleyes: As with my holiday, when asked for a refund, the answer I got was, " We haven't cancelled, so not considering refunds at this stage".

Back to Carni, if I  were you I would investigate a rebooking. Don't  forget though, If you cancel you lose deposit etc.

• Like 1

We have to be careful of over simplifying here. The law of contract has many elements, not just 'offer and acceptance' so I doubt there is a one size fits all answer. 

Hi Den, without going back and checking the exact wording. The holiday company decided that in view of unprecedented situation, they would not be running their trip boats but at that time they were still open for hiring cruisers. Then when the government initiated 'lockdown'  they decided that in view of that and considering the feelings of the local community not wanting influx of tourists, to suspend business for the foreseeable future. Tina and I talked about and we thought we didn't want go somewhere that would closed everywhere, so we would have to stay indoors away from home. If we've got to stay in, we might as well be at home. We opted for a transfer to April next year and see what that brings. Hope that makes sense. B.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...