Hi Michael

I'm just back from a two month sojourn into the foreign. The names I remember from Brand street besides those you mention are the Dodsleys. Mr Dodsley used to drive the Taxi when he wasnt in the Magpies or to drunk, come to think of it he still drove ( no drink drive laws then ) his wife Violet and son Albert. Further down were the Froggats Alan and Norman. I remember Georgie Panter he was the only kid who could climb the old style green street lamp at the top of Grainger st and sit on the cross bars at the top. I remember the monkey park at the bottom of Daleside Road most of the school holidays were spent there Do you remember the covered in shed at the side of the parkies hut he managed to spoil many a courting couples evening!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't come across a photo of the whole run of three bridges, but here's a Pic the Past of the short stretch of road between two bridges And those houses are/were here....... must've been a real

Thank You Ravintrainman. I have split your original post as it deserves a Topic of its own. It is worth putting it on our Calendar

For a few shots of part of the real thing........... http://www.rcts.org....79&img=G-241-35 http://www.rcts.org....78&img=G-241-34 http://www.rcts.org....80&img=G-241-36

Nice to see you back on Nottstalgia, Deeps and hope you had a good holiday. Did you use to call the Recreation Ground the 'Monkey Park' because I'd never heard it called that until babs mentioned it?. I vaguely remember some kind of building on the left hand side of the park but cannot picture it in my mind. Can you remember the wasteland on the corner of Daleside Road and Meadow Lane, just before the level crossing?. There were two big piles of earth, one each end and we'd spend hours playing on there and when we'd had enough we'd stand on the railway footbridge with our trainspotting books. They built a pub on the wasteland, can you remember the name of the pub?. A chap from Brand Street called Albert Smith has posted on Nottstalgia. He's in his eighties now and lived over the wall from us and says that he can remember the Booth family. Oh dear!!!.....lol

do you mean the ginger tom pub micheal

i was thinking about the park the other day did it have one of those big multy person rocking horses too i think the roundabout was the wooden kings crown version but i might be thinking of another park but carnt remember were.

Hi Michael

Definately the Magpie. My brother worked on the site when they were building it we used to go and play in the cellars when the builders knocked off for the day. It used to be my watering hole when I was on leave during the sixties

No babs, I'm sure it wasn't the Ginger Tom pub, I think that was in Colwick or Sneinton. I haven't a clue what sort of roundabout it was and I've never heard of a 'Kings Crown' version.

The Ginger Tom was on Colwick Road Sneinton.

It was built after the bridge of the Nottingham Suburban Railway was demolished in 1963(?) the enbankment on the south side was also removed & that was where the Ginger Tom was built.

The Ginger Tom has now also gone(I don't know the date)

Is therte a block of flats there now?

Hello Deeps, just had a senior moment I thought I'd corrected you re. the Dodsleys in Brand St, Yes Arthur was a taxi driver he & wife Violet had 3 sons Sam, Walter (Jum) & Gorden (daughter?). If I'm the 'Albert' you remember I have to ask oo r yuh?

Michael it was Alf Whiler not Len he was my brother. Albert Smith

Hi Albert

thanks for your response I must confess I can't remember any of the Dodsley offspring you mention. It is unlikely that you are the Albert I remember as from your earlier post it would seem you left Brand St in 1953 which is when I was just a nipper likewise it is unlikely that you would know me I lived on Grainger St opposite Michael Booth and next door to Mrs Wrights shop.

Afternoon chaps The semi house shown in the photo of meadow lane is where my grandad and grandma mr and mrs fred Richardson number 484 meadow lane

From in the mid thirties until the late sixties. Granda work on the railway before and after the first war unitll he retired in the early sixties. My mam and my aunts were brought up here as talked about in other items in this forum. As teenagers both me and my brother were forbidden to go up the wooden stairs from which the photo was taken as it went directly on the the railway line and was the route which grandad took to work a 04.00 AM every morning to his work as cartage Forman at the London road goods depot. You will note the there are several planks missing from the fence( well we couldn't go up the stairs buy nobody said anything about the weedy bank did they). If you have a good look at the photo you will see my aunt gertrude going thought the gate at the fount of the house. I think that the photo was taken about 1963/64 as I had arranged for grandad to have a tv fitted around that time (note tv aerial) and the cortina with twin headlights was around from 1962. If any one has the original photo or others from this view would you please let me know for my family photo file. Thanks roger

• Upvote 1

Fascinating post rjs, when someone turns up with first-hand experience of an old photo. I think this is the one you are referring to

small.jpg

If any one has the original photo or others from this view would you please let me know for my family photo file. Thanks roger

The original is from this site http://www.pictureth...n=zoom&id=63741 and there are also a few others of the area if you use the Search function

I think that the photo was taken about 1963/64 as I had arranged for grandad to have a tv fitted around that time (note tv aerial) and the cortina with twin headlights was around from 1962.

Picture the Past give the date as 1975, which ties in with the car which is a Vauxhall Victor FD (not a Cortina)

If you have a good look at the photo you will see my aunt gertrude going thought the gate at the fount of the house.

close.jpg

Yep.....there she is

Thanks & apologies Roger for getting the name wrong, the Stevensons lived at the top of Lees Hill St, one son Lawrence. Regards to Gladys, Sorry its 'Mum' to you CU Albert

• 6 months later...

Hi all, couple of pointers.

The Magpie pub was very near to the top of Meadow Lane, almost next to the level crossing and on the right walking up to the top and before the 3 bridges. I just cannot forget that pub it had an amazing inn "sign", a 3-D rendition of two magpies in a cage looked like it was made of pottery.

The Ginger Tom was a modern pub built near the flats up near the Colwick Woods and actually either on the site or just to one side of the railway bridge going over Colwick Road. bridge was demolished mid 60s.

I too played in Monkey Park, the big attraction was the huge ( and very dangerous) climbing frame. No softee rubber mats to land on, if you fell off the top of that that would be a trip or two to the fracture clinic .... or worse. Mylate father told me he could recall that park being opened, prob late 1930s.

• 3 weeks later...

I think those photos must have been taken when the line was still in use for freight trains to British Gypsum at East Leake. As shown in the third picture, trains were propelled up the line as far as just past Weekday Cross Junction and a little way into the tunnel that led to Victoria Station (obviously blocked off at the far end by then). Then the train would reverse direction with the engine now leading and head off down (or I should really say up) the main line as far as East Leake.

It must have been in the early to mid-1970s when that practice ceased as a new short spur line was put in at Loughborough to connect the Midland main line and the Great Central near Loughborough station so trains could get to East Leake from the south instead.

One note on the previous post.

The cord junction at Loughborough linking the G.C.R with the Midland was constructed using the embankment of the G.C.R. between the canal bridge and the crossing point at the Midland removing the bridge at the same time.

trains were propelled up the line as far as just past Weekday Cross Junction and a little way into the tunnel that led to Victoria Station (obviously blocked off at the far end by then). Then the train would reverse direction with the engine now leading and head off down (or I should really say up) the main line as far as East Leake.

And here's a diesel unit doing that move http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?srch=weekday&page=2&serial=34&img=Y-79-31

I think what's happening there is after Victoria closed there remained a passenger service between Arkwright Street station and Rugby Central which finished in the late 1960s. It mentions on the captions to photos on that site that after the trains terminated at Arkwright St they would run on as far as Weekday Cross then reverse (easily done with a diesel unit) along the line towards London Road where they were stabled overnight, and that's what is shown in those photos.

The freight service to East Leake continued for a year or two after that passenger service finished.

• 11 months later...

Ashley mentioned at the beginning of this thread that he was/is looking for a photo which shows all three bridges on Meadow Lane when they were still in operation. So far there hasn't been much success, but I've found this from the 'Britain from Above' site.

meadow21.jpg

And a bit closer.

meadow12.jpg

Brilliant! isn't it funny how memory plays tricks on you though? I "discovered" these bridges in 1962 having never been down Meadow Lane further than Notts's ground when younger till I started at Blackburn & Starling's at easter of that year. By that time railways, the locos and features had dropped a fair way down my list of interests, probably running a distance 4th behind amomg other things girls and motorcycles, but the sheer amount of work etc in these bridges (which at that time I thought would have all been built at the same time) renewed this interest for a while, I recall climbing up to track level and being somewhat disappointed by lack of all the original track, (though that may have been later) I also don't remember the lower of the bridges on the photo being askew in the way it crossed the road but do remember the arch (tunnel) of the 3rd crossing, fascinating! will come back to this later as got to go out, thanks for finding!

Have had a look at a section of 26" to mile map of meadow lane I photocopied some years ago, on the original wide view map you can see the MR signal box and level crossing (about 1" on photo to left of the lowest bridge, on both photos there is a dot in middle of the road, looks to be bike or car that has just crossed the crossing, to right on the blown up pic again about an inch from that dot are 2 lines, that is the footbridge at side of the crossing going over the MR.

Next to the middle bridge running towards top corner opposite those 3 houses is a road leading to the area with squares and circles, those are cattle pens

Where the bridges cross meadow lane there are 5 lines with room for 2 more on the lowest bridge, 2 on the middle and 4 on the top bridge.

At the extreme top left of original photo a road can be seen, this is manvers street, it runs alongside the arched viaduct of the line running from the GNR near Trent Lane to Weekday Cross Junction before turning under another wide bridge carrying the LNWR lines into that companies Goods Station

It could be said that there are 4 different company lines on those photos, top to bottom LNWR, GCR (they built the line paid for by GNR) GNR and MR