• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Her name's Etta (The Lambretta), I'm an Etta James fan.................

Trying to recapture my Mod days of mid sixties, & now retired, I 've just purchased a 1964 Li 150 import from Italy got my new number & all is good to go with my renovation of this lovely icon

Some very nice scooters on these photos :

would make a good anchor! Was looking at some road tests done in a 1966 Motorcycle Mechanics, true top speed of a 125cc Lambretta Starstream was 50 mph, and the SX200cc was 62 mph, these were via "rader gun", wasn't just the italians who fitted tuned speedos however as the Royal Enfield 250cc Continental Sports only managed 81mph!

Always preferred the Series II LI 150 or TV 175.Fitting the headlight to the handlebars instead of the horn-casting looked better.A coat of Polychromatic paint and a set of Chrome plated panels and mudguard made for a great set of wheels back in the 60s.

• Upvote 1

Enlarged images have to be seen, I agree with Ashley.

You wouldnt want to go more than 50 on that thing.

However Lambrettas are highly sought after at the moment.

But there are better examples listed for sale at lower prices.

I note that they sell them new now, but 50cc, and I think belt driven?

I remember hanging my nose over SX200s in the dealer behind the

Globe on Arkwright Street around 1970. Who were they?

And how much would an SX200 cost then?

Built my first one out of two scrappers, removed all panels and made seat brackets and footrests out of aluminium plate all the frame was painted plant hire yellow, spent weeks polishing and matching the transfer ports on the barrel, that would do about 55 mph 60 flat out down hill. 150 LI

I remember Blacknel Motors,Vespa accessory and spare parts they were the main agents for Vespa in Nottingham. I bought myself a pair of Jag lights and some other chrome trim for one of my Vespa's they also had a small show room on the west side of Arkwright Street half way to Midland Station.They had a couple of new 160 GS Vespa's in the spring of '65 that l had my eye on,l ended up with a new Sportique and then a SS 180.Don't remember Blacknell selling Lambretta's though but stand to be corrected.

Joselyns was on the corner of Beaconsfield St, later Granby Motors, now asian supermarket, theres a thread somewhere on here about the business as most know which started out just below palin street on other side of Radford Rd when a Mr Gregory bought the cycle shop owned by a Mr Joselyn

Interesting re Gaggs, but they missed alot out, like fact the main shop was about 4 shops the other side of the road, the shop shown whilst bearing Gaggs name etc was always just a store room the years I knew it .Know they were still in main shops mid1970's as on the offchance asked if they had and barrels and pistons for a 750 Harley, few minutes later a pair were plonked on the counter! "Knew" a couple of the family in the photos, the old man who had a saying "rare as rocking horse...." and another who had a bit of a speech impedament, they didn't sell bike as such, but I got one off them late 1960's, a sprung hub triumph thunderbird, "too good to break" no tax or mot but complete, a rumble from the main bearings but that apart nice, I rode it home there and then for £10 used it with care all summer to rallies then sold it for £40, like winning the pools! theres one similar on ebay for £8,000!!!!

Thanks MG and what a fantastic story on that link too.

They still exist but have still not got a proper domain host.

http://www.gagg-and-sons.freeserve.co.uk/main.html

I remember in the 60/70s working as an apprentice electrician for Nottingham Co-op.

There was a painter called Gagg. Who was an Arthur Askey type character who looked

remarkably like the guy on the left in the first photograph on MGs link. Must have been a relative?

Interesting re Gaggs, but they missed alot out, like fact the main shop was about 4 shops the other side of the road, the shop shown whilst bearing Gaggs name etc was always just a store room the years I knew it .Know they were still in main shops mid1970's as on the offchance asked if they had and barrels and pistons for a 750 Harley, few minutes later a pair were plonked on the counter! "Knew" a couple of the family in the photos, the old man who had a saying "rare as rocking horse...." and another who had a bit of a speech impedament, they didn't sell bike as such, but I got one off them late 1960's, a sprung hub triumph thunderbird, "too good to break" no tax or mot but complete, a rumble from the main bearings but that apart nice, I rode it home there and then for £10 used it with care all summer to rallies then sold it for £40, like winning the pools! theres one similar on ebay for £8,000!!!!

And here's me thinking my memory was at fault again, I knew that I had been in another shop on the opposite side of the road

gaggs now closed and sold of all his parts to a guy in sheffield, used to buy my helmets from him he used to have to order them for me as i was only a childs size. end of another era hey.

hey ash what did every one say your sons first words would be even befor he was born was reminded of this on thurseday night can you rememberor maybe old ace can