Anyone know of this site? Stourbridge Vespa.I came across the parent site over here in Calafornia.

I phoned to ask a few questions,they obtain the scooters from 'Vietnam'. Can you Imagine! all those mods and no rockers,boring.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Her name's Etta (The Lambretta), I'm an Etta James fan.................

Trying to recapture my Mod days of mid sixties, & now retired, I 've just purchased a 1964 Li 150 import from Italy got my new number & all is good to go with my renovation of this lovely icon

Some very nice scooters on these photos :

A California dealer custom Vespa base on the British Eddie Grimstead Hurricane from the 60s. Roseville near Sacramento CA.

Was 'Joselyns',the Lambretta dealer?.

It was. I bought my LI150 series three from there for £125. I was just looking on 'Picture the Past' for a photo of Jossys but couldn't find one. IS there really a thread on here somewhere about Joselyn's business?

Hi Mudgie49 the only guy l knew with a red Sportique with chrome bubbles was big Eddie who was a carpenter it had a sports mud guard on it.Since Jocelyns have now gone there's a great Lambretta dealer in Nottingham who do special editions and carry lots of chrome accessories.Check out classiclambretta another good site for all the dealers and scooter rallies in N.America checkout scooter.net going to try and down load a picture of my red sportique one of three Vespa's l had back in the sixties.

Was big Eddie from Netherfield? I remember him and a guy from Attenborough,all three of us had red Vespas with chrome bubbles.

I had a car pull out on me,managed to swerve but hit him side on,Dec'65,no harm to me but the pride and joy, Resprayed the scoot' mustard yellow,black and white striped seat.

Did you ever go to day release at the Art college,Waverley st' around 64/65?apprentice painter/decorator?

Yes thats me,was there from 1964 till December 1968 then move back to Canada.My dad got me a Job with GM Canada where most of my family worked in the huge Chevrolet/ Pontiac car and truck Plant in Oshawa as a Painter & Decorator.Just retired 3 years ago.It was a fabulous place to work.

What a small world,never pegged you for Randys brother.If I'm not mistaken,I came round to your house in Bulwell,a couple of times.

Quit hanging out with the mini boys when they started to gain a bad reputation,just a couple of bad apples as I recall. had a bit of a'do' with them.

There was a change in the Nottingham 'mod scene' around 67,big increase in drug use,sad to say.

LOL - I had a Vespa Sportique too!

I put me mam on a vespa in the back garden ,I had a hell of a job getting her out the hedge

She was the same in a car floor it & drop the clutch

Made for some very exciting rides when she got the Ford Capri 3000

What would a lead-foot mam want with a Ford Crap-ee 3000?!! Her'd'r bin better off wi'a Moggy minor.

Vespa's had one wicked clutch. You could lift up the front wheel real easy. I remember Sammy salt heading into Nottingham with Polish Julie on the back, bit of a big girl, but very nice. We stopped at a set of lights at Hyson Green. gave the sportique a few revs, and pulled away, and she fell off the back. Quite the sight to see her sitting in the middle of the road. She wasn't hurt. Another thing with the sportique was the locking stirring column. If the key wasn't turned properly, you could, while driving, turn a corner and it would lock on you. Happened once to me. I haven't driven a scooter since 1967, still admire them at the rallies, but I prefer four wheels around me.

Vespa's had one wicked clutch.

Yes, but eventually the split-ring that held it all together would pop-out of its groove and the clutch would "explode" - I got to be an expert in re-assembling the clutch by laying the bike down on its right side, removing the rear wheel and clutch cover, and putting it all back together - at the side of the road!

When I was at Calveton scooter show last July, I came across a couple of guys who were driving custom Andre Baldet vespa's. The one I am sitting on is a 150 Vespa Sprint Mona Luxe, a dead ringer for my '65 SS180 Mona Motor Luxe. The guy called Stew from Nottingham is writing a book about Andre Baldet who set many scooter records, he did 100 laps of the Isles of Man TT course on a 150 GS. rotating with another driver, covering some 3,775 miles in terrible weather. One incredible person. This photo should appear in the book. One thing I noticed at these scooter shows, they sure drink a hell of a lot of beer. By the way, Limey, I had more problems with putting in gear cables than anything else. But sure, they were great times to look back on.