See the number plate on the second Lambo? My Li 150 Series III was GRR 467D

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Her name's Etta (The Lambretta), I'm an Etta James fan.................

Trying to recapture my Mod days of mid sixties, & now retired, I 've just purchased a 1964 Li 150 import from Italy got my new number & all is good to go with my renovation of this lovely icon

Some very nice scooters on these photos :

Specially for Baz:

WD Matchless 350 singles (1941). I part owned one of these in the 60s.

scan0009.jpg?gl=GB

scan0011.jpg?gl=GB

This report goes with the above Cadwell Park race pictures (Motor Cycle 11/8/1966)

It was a good idea to bring in 26 top-class road racers to add spice.........and spectators to Sunday's novice meeting at Cadwell Park, Lincolnshire. But there was just one thing the Louth.Club couldn't control - the weather. The rain sloshed down by the bucketful during practice and kept up a dismal drizzle the whole time racing continued around the 2¼ mile track. It made the going so slippery that a two-fifty put in the best lap of the afternoon and the fastest 500 cc lap was 5mph.below the125cc track record!

As for the spectators only about 3,000 hardy souls turned out to watch 150 soloists and three dozen sidecars paddle round.

The first of the two invitation contests, a scratch race over eight laps, saw Peter Williams (496 Arter-Matchless) ease into the lead from the start. All riders were treating the very tricky surface with care, but Malcolm Uphill (499 Norton) had enough revs on to take him past both Dan Shorey and Rodney Gould (499 Nortons) on the first lap.

IN THE SWIM AT CADWELL

There was really no doubt about who was going to win the race-slippery or not because wary WilIiams was 2s ahead by the end of the second lap and extended his lead all the way to the chequered flag; His fastest lap of 65.64 mph, compared poorly with the circuit lap record 76.42mph

After this race severa1 of the invited dicers decided that they would be happier at home and did not wait for the invitation handicap. In this, the two-fifties were sent on their way 10s before the one and only three-fifty was flagged off. Then there was another wait of about half a minute before the five-hun­dreds were unleashed.

Neyille Landrebe, the New Zealand solo champion who is over here for the TT, was the initial leader on his two­-fifty Bultaco. Within two laps, however, Lincolnshire lad Vic Chatterton (249 Yamaha) had gobbled him up. Chatterton was really gal­loping, Could WilIiams, on his big Matchless, make up the 40s? He was having a go. From seventh position. He worked his way to fifth place on Lap 5.

Selwyn Griffiths was bring­ing another big Matchless into the picture but he couldn't catch WllIiams. Robin Fitton (Norton) had been put out with magneto trouble.

The query was whether the gap was closing between the chaser and the chased. Wil­liams had been passing all and sundry and finished third­ but Chatterton took the flag 48s earlier. He had not only retained the lead, but gained 8s.

Sunbeams were made 1946-1956, I looked that up as had never seen a black S7, only the green ones, nor any Sunbeam with handlebar end clutch/brake levers. It would appear this one is an original 1946-1949 one . I had 2, an S7 (fat 16" wheels) and an S8 (normal size BSA wheels) made (what I thought) 1 good one out of the 2, late 1960's, the S7 less forks and front wheel cost me £5 the on the road S8 £10. They were not a very good bike though both had shaft drive and the S7 interchangable wheels, handy if you got a flat (assuming you had a spare with you) Handling and cornering was on a par with an ASDA shopping trolley but the main problem was a crap engine design with little wet sump oil capacity and a rear cylinder that overheated and seized due to little cooling air reaching it as I found to my cost on the A1 near Scotch Corner

Fer gawds sake.......I'm fed up looking at scooters.

Doesn't anybody have any pictures of motorbikes.Preferably classics.(Pre 1965)

Baz :ninja:

I hope Bazza is happy now :)

Look what I saw parked outside a motorbike shop in Wick this morning:

IMG_3535.JPG

And this:

IMG_3537.JPG

Re B&W pic, it was The Ship at Skeggy, re the 2 you saw Compo, either an ES2 or a model 50 Norton (one was 500cc the latter 350) I went Nottm to Dumbarton one day on the latter and came back the next in 1970, about knackered me! mine was later featherbed frame model, not many of those about as they were a cheap basis for a Triton, the Triumph is of course a model 21 (3TA) 350cc. My other bikes in photos were a sprung hub thunderbird (had just seen Easy Rider) and a 1961 Triumph T110 bought as a total wreck and rebuilt, typical of me ran out of film and never did get photo of it complete and on the road, (around 1980)

Thanks Ashley. In 1972 I rode from Nottingham to Dundee in pouring rain all the way, on a Suzuki T250J. I couldn't get off the bike without assistance at the other end!

4642357350_7f679a95f8_b.jpg?t=1335485064 The Ace 'Andre Baldet' at the Isle of Man on 150 GS.Covered 100 Laps (3,775 miles) on TT mountain circuit in 99 hours 41 minutes with co'driver Dennis Christian.Woking four-hour shifts.