• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Her name's Etta (The Lambretta), I'm an Etta James fan.................

Trying to recapture my Mod days of mid sixties, & now retired, I 've just purchased a 1964 Li 150 import from Italy got my new number & all is good to go with my renovation of this lovely icon

Some very nice scooters on these photos :

I passed my test on a 1959 LD 150 .........shaft drive and built like a brick ****house.

Happily drove it round til its death in about 1967. Wish I still had it!!

Are you sure Siddha that your LD was not a LI "Wide Style" as the Last LD was built July 1958 along with the Top of the Line Special Edition "Riviera LDB 150".The LI 150 series 1 came on Line April 1958.The only LD in Nottm in the mid 60s i remember was a guy from Clifton Est used to see him at the Pancake House.July2013triptoUk102.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

the scooter racing club race with British Historic Racing some of the tuned Lambretts give a manx norton a good run for their money,the sidecars are pretty good too!

Having started out on scooters then going over to motorcycles, I happen to be off the road due to a car pulling out so while it was being repaired i went out armed with a tenner looking around the bargain basements for a cheap bike, well you could then but at this time all that was on offer were twice as much as I wanted to spend.tried everywhere Hooleys greyfriar gate, kingstons carrington st, anyway finished up at Ray Williams on Raleigh st, someone had just part exchanged this 1956 Lambretta ld 150 for a bubble car so I bought it for £7/10 shillings and it was brilliant took me all over and have kept a scooter alongside a motor bike ever since but then there was a problem I liked the mod style clothes so when out on my bike in my leathers i got called by the mods and when I went dressed up at night as mod I got called by the rockers so i couldn't win. when my mate who's a rocker comes to see me now, he still has to resist the urge to kick my scooters over.

• Upvote 2

Are you sure Siddha that your LD was not a LI "Wide Style" as the Last LD was built July 1958 along with the Top of the Line Special Edition "Riviera LDB 150".The LI 150 series 1 came on Line April 1958.The only LD in Nottm in the mid 60s i remember was a guy from Clifton Est used to see him at the Pancake House.July2013triptoUk102.jpg

It was definitely an LD I must have the date wrong it was a long time ago!

Hi Siddha
Your Lambretta Ld might have been unsold stock and late registered as they were phasing out that model due to the popularity of the Li series,although they did introduce the Ld again as the French model which was a 125 this was available till the early sixties, everything was different on it with the exception of the tyre size.l have a Triumph 1966 model which was not registered till 1967 it came from new from Breffits [newcastle filling station Nuthall rd].My favorite Lambretta is the model d 150 when i first saw one in a book i had to have,this was around 1967 they were quite scarce then.l put an advert in the Evening Post and got one reply and bought it £22/10 shillings,480 AAU. it was customised a bit but looked good i kept that till late seventies.l still have two now both bought from the same person but at different times the first was dragged out of a coal shed in 1977 and restored over the years the other is work in progress but it is local machine from Copes of Mansfield.

• 1 year later...

Thinking of buying a motor scooter in the new year,always been a motor cycle fan but for some reason fancy a scoot,probably an age thing,but I am looking,will keep you posted if I make any progress

Rog

• Upvote 1

Talking of scooters Rog reminded me of my Lambretta LD 150cc I bought for £6 in '68 off a bloke on Dame Agnes Street ?.

Couple of weeks later took & passed my test at Chalfont Drive.

Scooters are much easier to maintain than motorbikes.

Saw this one the other day, not sure if it's for sale tho !!

P1030744_zpssfdalynn.jpg

• Upvote 2

Nice looking machine,I have been looking at one of the new range of Vespa,don't want to spent too much,maybe a couple and half grand just in case I don't take to it or kill myself

Rog

• Upvote 1

Trying to recapture my Mod days of mid sixties, & now retired, I 've just purchased a 1964 Li 150 import from Italy got my new number & all is good to go with my renovation of this lovely icon of my yoof!!..........................Just one ( or perhaps more)snag(s),

• Never ridden 2 wheeled contraption before, always rode pillion to Skeg', Mabo' & Matlock etc
  • Now find I can't ride it on 'L's' as it's above 125cc.......................

Wish me luck please.......................it does have full engine rebuild + 12 months MOT, I'm only renovating the bodywork to original

The madness of youth............:crazy:

• Upvote 4

Paul's just read your posts and says he'd been thinking he'd like to get one.  Must be the new year that's making you men feel so nostalgic...

• Upvote 2

Nice one Paulus,don't know much about scooters but if I remember right the Li 150 was a decent scooter,I'm not looking for a 60's icon just something fairly new with all the modern mechanicals,cant be bothered tinkering each weekend now before a ride,Like you I've never riden a scooter,plenty of motor cycles though,started looking at clothing and crash helmets now in readiness of my impending purchase,maybe just before the summers gets here,I do wish you luck with your Li150 and good luck for your test

Rog

• Upvote 1

Aww, Etta looks really sweet!  Hurry up and pass your test Paulus, Spring is just around the corner and you'll soon be able to hit the road (not literally)

How many mirrors are you putting on her?

• Upvote 1

Nice looking machine Paulus,like Lizzie says hurry up and pass your test,go on you know you want to

Rog

• Upvote 1

Thanks Lizzie & Plantfit, but I'm not intending to be out with Etta until all the bodyworks/respray etc completed (end of summer).............I won't have a mirror as its distracting doing my makeup whilst riding.....................:Kiss:

• Upvote 2

Margie,tell Paul it's the only way to go,all these new scooter riders with their birds on the pillion,Skeggy here we come

Rog

• Upvote 2