Newspaper Seller & painter - female

Can anyone remember the name of the "girl" that used to do chalk drawings on the pavement in town? She sold The Post for a while from a stall at the bottom of King Street. She was very thin and IIRC she came from a very good background.

Cheers,

Bamber

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With thanks to David for the information, I've now amended my blog post and included the information which I previously omitted. In view of the fact that this was so long ago, I don't think I'm doing

Sorry, should be this link https://www.flickr.com/photos/78104432@N07/sets/72157645446726534/

Poosssssssssssssssssssssst Everning Post!

Posted Images

I do know the girl you mean, but have not seen her for some years.

Mainly because I do not visit town that often now. I think she may have

been featured in the post. She was a very tallented girl.

Anyone Know what happened to her?

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

There used to be an elderly bloke with glasses who drank in the Sir Richard Arkwright, he sold newspapers in the city centre, damned if I can recall his name now. That was in the 60's.

Those pavement artists are great,such talent & yet they spend their days chalking up on the streets of Nottingham & wherever else they can make a few bob. Most of them are far more talented then the so called artists who have pictures hanging in gallerys , some of that is pure tripe.

• 2 months later...

I know she hung around with some bearded low-life who slapped her around regularly. I saw a lot of this, as I served them at the Newshouse in St James St. She also did the menu boards for Pete Mac who was my guvna there in those days. I could never see why she put up with that crap from the piece of sh1t. If any one knows of HIS whereabouts, chirp it up and I'll gladly call on him with a bag of surgical instruments on Christmas day. Dunno where she is, but I fear the worst. She was a lovely girl who deserved better. Piece of coward sh1t.

• 1 year later...

I remember this girl so well as I used to catch the bus on Long Row where her newspaper pitch was outside the pipe shop. She was a lovely girl and extremely well spoken, quite posh in fact. "Post...late extrarr". Before that time I remember her pavement art.

I also remember that bearded guy and am sorry to hear that sad story. What a lowlife.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's Sally. Wonder where she is now?

187_SP.jpg

Newspaper seller, Old Market Square, 1981.

This edition of the Evening Post concerns the capture of the Yorkshire Ripper, which dates the photograph exactly to 23 May 1981.

The well-spoken newspaper seller pictured here was also a popular pavement artist towards the latter half of the decade.

http://www.dreamtargets.com/nottm80s/gallery_0187.htm

• 6 months later...

I'm relatively new on here and I mentioned the newspaper girl on a previous post.I didn't know her name was Sally.Thanks.I also remember the bearded guy.I once saw them in a pub together.I'm not sure whatever happened to Sally but,hopefully,she is still around,somewhere.

Russ (Nottingham area resident 1975-1986)

Thats her.

The funny thing was , with all the yobs that hung/hang around town very few would ever try to deface her drawings unlike anybody elses. I have absolutely no expanation for this (Maybe it's because she usually had a big crowd round and they were afraid of getting 'Lynched' by the mob)

• 6 months later...

My missus just had her memory jogged by this thread......I used to see sally most days in the late 70s sellin her papers and drwing on the pavements...she also used to drink in the Flyin 'Oss and downstairs in Ben bowers at Canning Circus.................Well my Missus recons that Sally was hired to paint Murals at Carrington Day nursery off Mansfield rd....she did loadsa Disney characters....also did the kids bedrooms upstairs where the owner lived.

• 2 years later...

Interesting that this thread has come back to life.

I remember often seeing the girl (although didn't know her name until now) and it''s amazing how many other people remember her if you mention the subject. She definitely made her mark, in more ways than one.

And I'd never realised that she was also a pavement artist; probably saw her work without knowing it was the same girl who sold papers.

And the question which everyone I knew used to wonder about in the days when she was selling papers on Long Row.......did she really speak like that in her normal conversation, or did she "switch it on" for the occasion. Did she come from an up-market background? Was she aware that nobody in Nottingham talks posh like that?

Welcome Tony

A fantastic Blog. Hope you gain much from our forums, and look fotward to your input.

And I note the following comment in your blog...

and judging by a few Nottingham nostalgia forums, no one knows where, although they certainly miss her.

We certainly do, and would like to hear of her location?

Thanks for this, mick2me.

Sally and Sam used to live in a flat on or near Magdala Road, but I've not seen either of them since the early 1990s, when I saw Sally at Mick's. But quite shortly after that, Mick told me Sam was very ill. Now, Sally worshipped Sam: she was a lovely, very quite person, but if anyone insulted Sam she went wild. So I suppose she could be anywhere.

Mick asked me a few times to go with him to see them there, but it was more of a dare. I won't go into details.

Did she come from an up-market background?

Apparently very much so, although I know nothing further than that, other than she came from southern England. I assume she rebelled against her background, as she was very, very unconventional - I always saw her as a natural anarchist (and of course I mean that in the nicest way).

Was she aware that nobody in Nottingham talks posh like that?

Oh, she'd be very aware of that, but she certainly spoke that way all the time. I think the spelling was just an act, though.

An interesting thread brought back to life after sitting dormant for several years.

Yes, it is interesting, and although it's only been dormant for just over two years, it could probably have done with an occasional bump. I revived it by accident as I was just (under powerful orders) de-cluttering. Anyway, I've just sent an email to Andy Smart at the Evening Post asking if he knows Sally's surname.

If nothing comes of it, so be it, but I shall look elsewhere. But the missing surname is the problem. I believe Nottingham University paid them for a few days - maybe a week - to look into the pavement art, although this is received information and may be a little skewed.

Re Xylophone man , I was playing in Wikipedia looking for famous people from Nott'm the other day, and theirs a bit about him in there too!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylophone_Man

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Newspaper Seller & painter - female