Newspaper Seller & painter - female

i remember sally too when the kids were small they liked her pictures when she first started she used to draw straight on to the pavements roads outside m and s latter she whould draw onto paper stuck down on by tape this she whould roll up and take away with her at the end of the day or if it rained i surpossed she sold these she once dida small picture and gave it to my youngest sonperhaps couse he was cheeky and asked if he could have it. .wish we still had it might be worth something now.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With thanks to David for the information, I've now amended my blog post and included the information which I previously omitted. In view of the fact that this was so long ago, I don't think I'm doing

Sorry, should be this link https://www.flickr.com/photos/78104432@N07/sets/72157645446726534/

Poosssssssssssssssssssssst Everning Post!

Posted Images

I remember Sally very well we met often in the Grosvenor Mansfield Road...There's much in this thread about her bloke called Sam...all I remember is that the bloke she was with for years was called Dave,ex squaddie with a scruffy beard.Never seemed to work,I think she kept him.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/10/2004 at 2:37 PM, bamber said:

Can anyone remember the name of the "girl" that used to do chalk drawings on the pavement in town? She sold The Post for a while from a stall at the bottom of King Street. She was very thin and IIRC she came from a very good background.

Cheers,

Bamber

It was Sally.

Sadly, she died a few years ago.

A very nice lady indeed.

• 2 years later...

There have been a few editions of the Evening Post added to the news archives .

This is a picture of her , that I haven't seen elsewhere .

There are a few more pics in these later editions that I will try and post when I get chance .

This picture from 1991 confirms her name as Sally Freeman .

There is another article later that year that says she was aged 33 (so born 1958ish ? ) and living Mapperley Park Drive and it gave her full name as Sally Anne Freeman .

52077039701_3d3af0e5e0_c.jpg

• Like 2

Tony Shaw, on his blog page, once promised more, but not necessarily 'pretty', information. Pretty or not, I'd really like to know more.

I only saw her maybe a dozen times, but for some reason she made quite an impression on me...

This must be one of the earliest threads on Nottstalgia.....December 2004.

And it says a lot that the subject is still remembered by many Nottingham (or ex-Nottingham) people.

15 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Strange as it may sound and I never spoke to her, she had 'victim' written all over her. 

If you haven't already, check the earlier posts in the thread. I think 'victim' may be appropriate.

• Like 1

Poor woman. It sounds as though she didn't have an easy life and somehow that communicated itself in her appearance and body language. She wouldn't be the first female to fall under the influence of an unsuitable male and pay the price for it (Ruth Ellis was, possibly, an extreme example).  Sadly, she won't be the last.

• 4 weeks later...

With thanks to David for the information, I've now amended my blog post and included the information which I previously omitted. In view of the fact that this was so long ago, I don't think I'm doing any harm in revealing this. Admittedly some of the story comes from Sally's friend, the late Mick Mcminn, but I never once discovered him inventing things, and someone else at the time who knew Sally backed things up. I've omitted a few things about Sally because they're just too personal and of no interest anyway. Dr Tony Shaw: Sally, Nottingham Newspaper Seller and Pavement Artist. And Friends (tonyshaw3.blogspot.com)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Tony, looking at your amended article it's obvious she must have had a hard life.

There was an article in the E.P. in 1984 on street buskers and artists in the city. 

It mentioned Sally amongst others and that when she had saved enough money from her pavement art she would like to go abroad .

Maybe her partner Sam died and she took the opportunity to fulfill her dream ?

She would be the type, who at that time would have gone off to somewhere like Ibiza and lived a hippy lifestyle . 

This was part of the Evening Post article :

So far she has only drawn in Nottingham although she would like to go further afield if she could raise the money from her drawings and also from murals and commissions which she does for private concerns.

......Later it says she would like to go abroad.

David, I don't think she'd be the type for Ibiza: far too much noise, as at the time it would probably still be experiencing the long summer of love. As someone with a mild case of Asperger's syndrome, I'm quite sure she had the same: the symptoms vary vastly, but she showed many of them, and raves don't fit into the frame.

And, yes, there's the money. There would be a great deal of it, and Mick told me he couldn't work out where Sam kept it, as it certainly wouldn't have been in a bank. I hope he told Sally where it was before he left the world, as she certainly deserved it.

• Like 1

Ha ha being old and decrepit , I wasn't even considering raves .

I more imagined she would be doing her street art on a foreign seaside promenade. :)

• Upvote 1

I’ve read all about Sally on Nottstalgia but can’t say I ever saw her, heard her shouting ‘Evening Post’ or saw her pavement art.  This is no doubt because she wasn’t about when I was still in town, as I moved down south in 1975 and didn’t return until 2004.  I’m sorry I didn’t see this lady. 

I can remember walking past Griffin and Spalding and hearing “evening post” quite loud.

18 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

I’ve read all about Sally on Nottstalgia but can’t say I ever saw her, heard her shouting ‘Evening Post’ or saw her pavement art.  

Me neither Lizzie. We left Notts in 1981 , so before she started her job and street art but am intrigued as to what became of her.

One news item on her , indicates she left art school in 1983.

Many say she died young but although it's a fairly common name , I can't see any deaths in the records  for anyone of that name with a birthdate of 1958. 

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Newspaper Seller & painter - female