bamber

Painter Girl / Newspaper Seller?

Welcome Tony

A fantastic Blog. Hope you gain much from our forums, and look fotward to your input.

And I note the following comment in your blog...

and judging by a few Nottingham nostalgia forums, no one knows where, although they certainly miss her.

We certainly do, and would like to hear of her location?

Interesting that this thread has come back to life.

I remember often seeing the girl (although didn't know her name until now) and it''s amazing how many other people remember her if you mention the subject. She definitely made her mark, in more ways than one.

And I'd never realised that she was also a pavement artist; probably saw her work without knowing it was the same girl who sold papers.

And the question which everyone I knew used to wonder about in the days when she was selling papers on Long Row.......did she really speak like that in her normal conversation, or did she "switch it on" for the occasion. Did she come from an up-market background? Was she aware that nobody in Nottingham talks posh like that?

Welcome Tony

A fantastic Blog. Hope you gain much from our forums, and look fotward to your input.

And I note the following comment in your blog...

and judging by a few Nottingham nostalgia forums, no one knows where, although they certainly miss her.

We certainly do, and would like to hear of her location?

Thanks for this, mick2me.

Sally and Sam used to live in a flat on or near Magdala Road, but I've not seen either of them since the early 1990s, when I saw Sally at Mick's. But quite shortly after that, Mick told me Sam was very ill. Now, Sally worshipped Sam: she was a lovely, very quite person, but if anyone insulted Sam she went wild. So I suppose she could be anywhere.

Mick asked me a few times to go with him to see them there, but it was more of a dare. I won't go into details.

Did she come from an up-market background?

Apparently very much so, although I know nothing further than that, other than she came from southern England. I assume she rebelled against her background, as she was very, very unconventional - I always saw her as a natural anarchist (and of course I mean that in the nicest way).

Was she aware that nobody in Nottingham talks posh like that?

Oh, she'd be very aware of that, but she certainly spoke that way all the time. I think the spelling was just an act, though.

An interesting thread brought back to life after sitting dormant for several years.

An interesting thread brought back to life after sitting dormant for several years.

Yes, it is interesting, and although it's only been dormant for just over two years, it could probably have done with an occasional bump. I revived it by accident as I was just (under powerful orders) de-cluttering. Anyway, I've just sent an email to Andy Smart at the Evening Post asking if he knows Sally's surname.

If nothing comes of it, so be it, but I shall look elsewhere. But the missing surname is the problem. I believe Nottingham University paid them for a few days - maybe a week - to look into the pavement art, although this is received information and may be a little skewed.

Re Xylophone man , I was playing in Wikipedia looking for famous people from Nott'm the other day, and theirs a bit about him in there too!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylophone_Man

A quick look at the electoral roll for the Magdala Road area in the late 80s early 90s may throw up some information.

The microfiches are held at the County Records Office.

I remember this young lady. I remember her high pitched cry "Evening POST !" & her great art work. I seem to remember having something of the Kate Bush about her.

i remember sally too when the kids were small they liked her pictures when she first started she used to draw straight on to the pavements roads outside m and s latter she whould draw onto paper stuck down on by tape this she whould roll up and take away with her at the end of the day or if it rained i surpossed she sold these she once dida small picture and gave it to my youngest sonperhaps couse he was cheeky and asked if he could have it. .wish we still had it might be worth something now.

I remember Sally very well we met often in the Grosvenor Mansfield Road...There's much in this thread about her bloke called Sam...all I remember is that the bloke she was with for years was called Dave,ex squaddie with a scruffy beard.Never seemed to work,I think she kept him.

Poosssssssssssssssssssssst Everning Post!

B6f1kskIIAAGvU5.jpg

• Upvote 2

Sally @Brew

That's her.. thnx as I said I wonder where she is now..

• Like 1

On 12/10/2004 at 2:37 PM, bamber said:

Can anyone remember the name of the "girl" that used to do chalk drawings on the pavement in town? She sold The Post for a while from a stall at the bottom of King Street. She was very thin and IIRC she came from a very good background.

Cheers,

Bamber

It was Sally.

Sadly, she died a few years ago.

A very nice lady indeed.