New Photography Forum

Nice one Mick (idea for a forum theme that is)

A problem I have is. Years ago you could buy say a Pentax Spotmatic as I did. Now cameras would come out with new gizmo's, auto exposure, auto focus etc but your old spotmatic still focused light on a film and was capable, with care of taking a photograph as good as anything on the market. Now with digital I am reluctant to shell out on a camera as every few months the new improved bigger better comes out and the sensors improve. Somehow I've lost the plot with it all. I bought a decent compact last year and thats it. Even that has had 2 upgrades since.

Mobile phones nowadays have reasonable resolution.

Even the lowest resolution image of a Nottingham scene today, will be of value in 50 years time.

I have to say that I've been trying to keep up with the market , now I have 18 megs of pixels I'm sticking with that now long as it lasts (Should be good for another couple of hundred thousand exposures, .... so next week then !!..LOL)

I can see that some of you guys are really into photography, have to be honest and confess that the only camera we own is a small Nikon Coolpix compact and although it takes great snaps we both find it difficult to use in bright sunlight, is there a compact with a view finder as well as the digital picture on the back.

Hard to find a point and shoot with an optical viewfinder these days. Never really understood why. They should be cheap enough to include. Wife a has a Canon Powershot and is always complaining she can't see the image on the LCD screen when outside.

BTW. Have they now discontinued the old Flashcard that came with the EOS in favor of standard SD cards. I've got a feeling I'm going to be left with a dinosaur.

No I don't think Kodak had anything to do with that project, may have been Sony or somesuch. Too idle to go get the camera and look right now and it would disturb the dog on the couch. Never fill the thing anyway, easy enough to dump everything onto the comp' any time.

My 40d and 400d both have "Compact Flash cards" the 4 gig card giving me around 960 - 1000 shots at 200 ISO , where as the new 550d uses an SD card , the 32 gig gives around 4500 shots at 200 ISO, equating to around half the capacity , but with twice the mega pixels it's understandable.

As for the view finder on a "point and shoot" I had one on my old Kodak (Which never worked properly from the word go, I got through more batteries than I did pictures !!) but you can purchase a 'pop out screen shade, I had one on my 40 ! but it came with it so I can't give a price.

• 1 month later...

Getting a new camera on Friday a Panasonic Lumix HD 14.1 megapixels 3" LCD Touchscreen 24mm wide angle Leica lens 16x optical zoom just hope i can put some of my pics on the forum if i can remember how to do it

I thought it may be a good idea with the better weather to go out on a photographic walk

when the more experience photographers can give some guidance on how to take better

pictures, to those less experienced. The type of camera and megapixels is not important.

We could use the opportunity also to document Nottingham.

Good call, we could pool cars and head for certain areas. IE a Tram ride to The Market Square, using a Park and Ride, for the less able bodied amongst us. A visit to Arnot Hill, and Arnold. Carlton, Netherfield, Colwick park and Holme Pierrpoint. Wollaton Hall and Grounds. Newstead Abbey and Sherwood Forest. The list of possibilities is endless .

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a before and after of a 35mm negative after a quick restore I did last year.

Neg081983.jpg

Neg081983R.jpg

I used two photo editing softwares, Photoshop 7 and Corel Paintshop ProX.

Here's another before and after of a 35mm negative.

SN01reduced.jpg

SN01Areduced.jpg

This was taken around 1980ish on a day trip up to Sydney one Sunday. I think the view is now blocked by a large building.

This has been restored too.

Operahousethrobridge-1.jpg

I thought it may be a good idea with the better weather to go out on a photographic walk

when the more experience photographers can give some guidance on how to take better

pictures, to those less experienced. The type of camera and megapixels is not important.

We could use the opportunity also to document Nottingham.

Or build an Ark... :blink:

They only had about half an hour's work put into them, for a truly first calss job, I normally spend a couple of hours on them. I'll post some more when I have uplodaded some to Photobucket.

When I was restoring photos for clients, I'd spend a day or more and even then, if you enlarged them more, there were still blemishes. You do have to know when to say "it's good enough"!

I have one I took looking south to Lake Illawarra sout of Wollongong, I spent about three hours on it, as it was so bad.

Here's the Wollongong scanned negatives looking to the southern suburbs towards Lake Illawarra, Pt Kembla steelworks is at the left of the picture.

I corrected the worst blemishes, but there's still a few hours work left in the second photo.

Neg36Wollongong1984.jpg

Neg36Wollongong1984R.jpg