Netherfield then and now

As i promised people on here id get pictures of Hodgkinson st & Deabil st for the people who havent visited in a while..

Here they are! Very different from the pictures originally posted in another thread.

... i shall get a few more for you lot tomorrow & Upload, i got these on a way out in a slight hurry.

....Enjoy.

2wfl7dh.jpg

10n6q9g.jpg

Deabil street, Top pic - 1970s..Bottom pic Feb 2012

14wakht.jpg

ay7pdt.jpg

Hodgkinson street top pic, again, 1970s & bottom Feb 2012.

• Upvote 1

Glad you liked them! I shall get some more of some streets in netherfield.. If theres anywhere in particular you want to see just ask & ill get them for you :) because im nice like that & it gives me an excuse to get out the house!

• Upvote 1

Thats what im doing this morning while baby has a nap & i enjoy a nice brew :)

I have to agree with loppylugs, the older appearance of those houses look better than the present day versions. Whoever invented the stick-on front for those kind of terraces has a lot to answer for; a godsend for the tasteless, awful for everyone else.

Stick on front? You mean all the different colours? I think it looked better in the 70s when all the houses were uniformed. But that's just my opinion. The golden looking houses have been insulated and 'pebble dashed' as these terraced houses are quite cold. They want to do this to my house not far from here, I'm unsure wether to agree to it or to keep the original brick work.....

Ahh, had my loft insulated last week & was offered that, the guy said it it's 'dry lined' from the outside then covered in whatever to insulate the house and keep the warmth in. I quite like the look of original brick, although this house is rather chilly!

I'd like to see how the old Chandos school looks now if you're ever up that way. I understand it has been extensively remodelled from my day. Also Godfrey street would be nice. As I mentioned I had an aunt at 63a and grandmother at 65a. Spent some happy times at both places.

As Cliff mentioned I think brick looks as good as anything and is not likely to flake off. Didn't like the red paint on my old house too much. Guess somebody got a real deal on red paint. :-) Doubt there would be much insulating value in the pebble dash. Insulating the loft would give more value per $ spent. + double glazing. Did they re-wire all those houses? The old system was pretty basic One 5 amp circuit upstairs and one down. Wired in that single wire rather than two wire. Worked on re-wiring a couple of houses on Godfrey street during my apprenticeship, but I think they all needed it.

The 'Tyrolean'coating over the brickwork has no insulation value at all,purely cosmetic. These houses were built around the 1880s,the biggest problem is rising damp in the cavity between inner and outer walls.

Remember the foam insulation pumped into the cavity?, a big thing in the 70s - 80s because of dampness, the foam collapsed into a mud like substance at the bottom of the cavity. Sandblast the brickwork ,repoint the mortar joints,strip and repaint the woodwork. Would look as good as new.

There's that bike again! Were those houses ex railway company ones? look that way? pebble dashing etc can look ok new but awful when it falls off (as it does), about time they were pulled down and replaced by a balloon woods type complex, lol apart from the stucco etc what's the other big difference between the 1970 and 2012 pics? (a clue is they have 4 wheels)

I love the way the gentleman's posing on the corner in jimmy87notts photograph.

Ashley, I'm remembering back to the 50's when there was only 1 car on the road where I lived. It was a black Ford and had we kids fascinated: we'd stand on the dashboard and look in through the tiny windows. Mr Samples, the father of my friend David owned it; he worked many hours at Raleigh Industries in order to afford it.

My great grandmother was living on that road when that photo was taken, her husband had died previously in the year, My dad can remember Henry Lloyd ( the man posing) and he can remember the bloke who owned the black van halfway down the road. It hasnt really altered since that photo was taken.

Didnt go out today, but panning on taking a walk tomorrow.. So ill be uploading some more then and now photos tomorrow evening. :)

Remember Henry Lloyd well. Bought all the parts for my first racing bike from him. Very friendly helpful guy. If he's still alive he must be getting on in years now.

Was going to comment on the number of cars on Deabill st. compared to 1974 but several of you beat me to it. Would sure like to see one of Hodgkinson street when some of those big vans aren,t there. Make it easier to see the houses, though I realise that might be a bit difficult.

Re Harrogate Street, used to be a very good guitarist lived on there, me and a mate went round the house to see if he'd join us, had a 200 watt Marshall amp in front room, when it got too loud his mam turned the lights on and off! re that Henry Lloyd, did he have a bike shop just out of view to right on that photo? if so Tom Johnstone Notts County player used to own it