Netherfield then and now

I'll see what it's like on hodgkinson street tomorrow, the larger van never seems to move though but I'll get a couple of the street from a couple of different angles for you

couldnt go out today, Attempted to go out TWICE & both times it started raining.. so gave up, babies crying with pain from teething, shes cutting 3 back teeth at once that have just cut the skin.. poor girl. so were going to have a lazy day. I promise, there till be some pics of netherfield then and now uploaded by the weekend! i have some old pics saved of areas to get newer pics of! :)

Don't worry about it, no big rush. Teething babies are dim and distant memory but I know it was no fun. Rain is one of those thing no-one can do anything about. Really appreciate you even being willing to take these pics.

Thanks again.

When we first got married in 1971 we lived in the ground floor flat at 38 Meadow Road which is on the opposite corner to what is now Marshalls electricians.

The rent was 28/- (£1.40) per week.

Upstairs lived Sam an ex wrestler who made Big Daddy look like a lightweight, or maybe thats the passage of time affecting the memory.

Several trips to the old railway yard in our minivan scavenging for the coal that had fallen off the wagons in previous years meant that our coal bill for the year we were there was minimal.

• Upvote 1

nice one pixie is the little park still on dunston st whats it like now not been down there in years

The play park in the middle of dunstan, babs? I believe its still there.. A friend used to live next to it but i havent been down that road since they moved. But last time i was there, about a year ago it was still there..

...Got the pics as well peeps! Just need to upload em (: im so nice to you lot haha!

• 2 years later...

My memory must be very poor as I lived until the age of 8 right down the end of Dunstan Street on Norman Villas. This row of houses, which ran across the bottom end, was demolished when the Loop Road was constructed. ANYWAY, I can't remember a park on Dunstan Street at all and it seems I must have walked by there every day to school.

• 1 month later...

The very same park hosted the 1977 silver jubilee party.

Am i just getting old or did there seem to be much more community spirit then.

Everyone from the whole of Dunstan & Curzon street mucked in, from what i recall we had a whale of a time i do have some photo's of the party somewhere at dads, i will dig them out the next time i am home :biggrin:

rebember the little park on dunstan st very well it was the nearest real park to us in them days some of my school mates lived dunston and curson st in the 50s,play equipment was 40s 50s style so think it was just a waiste land for many years before that unless it had a refurb about 40s dont think it was a park.

big slide very high withches hat roundabout swings couple of baby swings with the bars across abbout four swings with just the flat wooden seat and i think a sand pit and maybe another roundabout thought of another lad from our class lived curzon st top end kenny milner last time i saw him he was living in skeggy he was the mayor of skegness he was on the carnival parade

your right nathan netherfield did have a good community spirit then and in some ways still dose but many of the old families like yours and mine and many more began moving out and new families who dont often stay long moved in and you lost contacked with each other when the older families were there there was always some one who knew you and your families and whould keep an eye on you when you were playing on there st or like your grama auntie mable as we called her would lok over her back wall to see if the kids playing there on the rec were ok i often asked her if i could have a drink of water and she always gave me one

• Upvote 1

my two sisters still lived in netherfield one on traffic terrace and one on lnw terrace at the time you lived down there.

Very Small world Babs.

I used to have friends who lived on LNW Terrace and would often be that way hanging around riding our bikes down the big dipper on the muck hills or playing on the "bombsite" across from the footy changing rooms.

As we got older we would venture further afield down the trent ponds and go camping, fishing & swimming.

Believe it or not after you crossed the train line at Jackie bells field you were technically no longer in Netherfield but all the addresses and post codes stated that as the address. Dad informed me that to leave Netherfield by car you must cross (under or over) a train track.

thats true nathan i allways say netherfield is llike an island surounded by railways on three sides and the river across the bottom end just the things we did as kids down there when we were young only difference being was we did not have bikes we used old pram wheels or tin trayd on the muck hill my nephew stephen parnham lived lnw terrace think he was about 2 years older than you his sister samantha was a littlel younger than you i think my other sister lived on trafic terrace her youngest daughter kerry wilson was about your age her sisters were dawn and tracey all of them went to ashwell st school the eptons lived next to stephen on lnw . knew a lot of the families on lnw as your dad proberbly did from his schooldays

• 3 months later...

My Grandparents used to live on Forester Road in Netherfield, we moved from the "Medders" in the 60's to Emerys Road, continuation of Chandos Street & I entered the school there moving on from TBS on Green strret, used to play about the railway sidings there, accessed from Netherfield or from behind Emerys Road, past the Stoke Bardolph Settling Ponds & Quarry, collected a hoard of railway signs from the rolling stock parked there waiting for the end after Beeching cuts, Mother must have binned them at some point, as she was want to do - would be a nice little earner on ebay these days Doh!