Nottingham Model Railway Exhibition, Harvey Hadden Sports Centre, 17th-18th March 2012.

If you would like to see a 3D interpretation of the area just east of Trent Lane, come along to the Nottingham Model Railway Exhibition at Harvey Hadden Sports Centre on 17th-18th March.

There will be a display with two part completed baseboards from Nottingham Model Railway Societies' under construction layout.

Further information here:

http://www.nottingha.../exhibmain1.htm

East Midlands Themed Grouping

Annston 1980s Paul Butler

Brenton Midland 2000s David Page

Ilkeston Town 1930s Nottingham MRS

Stamford East 1961-63 Trevor Webster

Stoke Summit 1950s-60s Wolverhampton MRS

• 4 weeks later...

cheers, ravin'.

this event is only round the corner from me, and i wouldn't mind joining the nottingham rail modelers.

.....if there was something GCR 50's/60's that show would be like a nottstalgia meet! !rotfl!

• 2 weeks later...

well, i did go to this one, ended up taking my niece along too, a lot of inspiration there to get me thinking again about building a layout, that jimmy87notts and jackson will be pleased to hear will be very 50's 60's nottingham GCR influenced, but probably based on the bulwell common area, and i'd also like to get the rathole in there too!

theres just the small matter of finishing building works in my garage so i've got somewhere to build it!

i also picked up some old maps of radford, central nottingham and basford and hyso green there, from an old fella selling books and magazines etc.

I measured up for Victoria once, think tunnel to tunnel in OO it was 22 feet? anyway too big for converted roofspace at 821, did try N gauge once but couldn't get on with it, plus the cost! was lucky to get back the money I spent on a 6 x 3 board.

I had to rule out the loft here too, thats why I've had to build in the garden. I have built a couple of small layouts just to get a feel for what was involved, which were quite random as to locos and era, i.e. blue diesel running one way as the flying scotsman comes the other way!

once I decided on the GCR as a theme thing got a little clearer!

in fact I've made a start already, built this about 2 or 3 years ago-

2elgsh2.jpg

swfzau.jpg

its actually the airfix/dapol evening star kit painted to represent an everyday hard working loco, based on a pic i found here-

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2325/2138006089_ec6d1ba7db_o.jpg

Have read your stuff and taken a look at your trains phil box and I'd like to say how much I admire you fellas' devotion to the beautiful steam trains that once ran regularly; its good that their memory is kept alive.

• 1 year later...

Re #6 There used to be a layout of Bulwell Common built be the Bulwell MRC years ago.

I think I saw it at either HH or the exhibition at Woodthorpe.

If you had sufficient room, you could incorporate the Rat Hole, GC mainline and the ex GN line to Derby at the south end. At the north, you could have the mainline north and the turn off for the GN to Bestwood .

I will attempt something similar if we ever get to move house or convert the loft. I wouldn't be able to have all the sidings though.

I've already got the stock for the trains that ran up to 1962 .

80 odd vans, 40 odd mineral wagons, 35 Esso tankers, various other wagons.

14 Gresley coaches, 7 Thompsons, 21 MK 1's and 12 ex LMS coaches.

Locos include 3 V2's, 3 B1's, 2 K3's, an O4, J39, J52, Brit, 2 BR 4MT's, WD, Black 5, Ivatt 4MT and a Crab.

Just need time and money now.

If you are modeling the GCR of the sixties don't forget to paint on plenty of fake muck & gunge on them 9Fs. Come to that, the whole railway infrastructure also. Pity you can't involve a recording of the run down locos wheezing and groaning and leaking steam out of every orifice, and of course the driver effing it blind because there isn't enough steam pressure.

I once made a period layout doing country branch line GWR in N Gauge, but we moved house and no longer had the room. Anyway, the GCR was my religion in the sixties too.

• Upvote 1

Weathering them all eventually now I've retired and a bit of time on my hands till HWMBO retires.