Happy Pancake Day

Robbie,

Sorry it's not a personal photo. I just picked it out on Google images and put it in Photobucket. Great though it does remind me of my Mam! I just love the old pictures, I can see my Mam tossing those pancakes and all us kids waiting patiently for our pancake.

Basfordred, I'll do my best!! Mmmm. Delish.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pancake day always leaves me flat

They say the first one is no good..............................True I did a thumbnail to save space.   

Pancake day already? That crepe'd up quickly? 

Latest data from the AMA, eggs are safe and don't cause problems, Stephen, so get stuck in!! In fact evidence suggests eggs lower cholesterol and can reverse diabetes!!

Oh dear!! So darned difficult eating pancakes stuck to the ceiling. LOL.

A nice little Nottingham story of Pancake Day.

During the times of a ban on Roman Catholicism, the residents of Aspley Hall were members of the Roman Catholic branch of the Willoughby family. Although related to those at Wollaton Hall who were protestants, I believe these came from the Willoughbys who resided at Cossall. However, the squire and his wife at Aspley Hall were good people who cared for the poor families in local villages. Every Pancake Day they would invite the poorer people around to the Hall and provide batter etc for the families to fry up pancakes on the premises at Aspley Hall. It was always a merry time when Ale was issued to each member of each family (even the children) at the Squire's expense. Those families with the most children would be more experienced at tossing the pancakes, whereas the younger mothers would often find their pancakes stuck to the ceiling or all over the floor. The older ones would laugh and tell them it would be much easier when their brood had multiplied somewhat. It was all presided over by the Squire and his wife who would sit in their high backed chairs and share the fun.

But in the background was a mysterious figure in black gown who would pray over the food. This person who the Willoughby family liked to keep secret, was of course Father Thomas Pickering, a member of the order of the Discalced Carmellites, the illegal family priest who often celebrated mass in secret for the few Roman Catholic families who dared to show their faces.

• Upvote 3

Stephen, I know what you mean about the health issue, but we really do only have Pancakes once a year on Shrove Tuesday and we couldn't resist them. Afraid the Batter didn't last until teatime though. We decided it would be better to have the Pancakes for lunch and that would leave more of the day to burn off the excess calories! Ahem.

1 with Sugar and Orange Juice

1 with suger and Lemon Juice

1 with Golden Syrup

And 1 with all three

:biggrin:

Only fruit for tea today!

• Upvote 2

Well, my pancake was a little unconventional because, for the first time ever, we didn't have any eggs. My wife made some out of baking powder, vanilla extract, flour, milk, a spoonful of oil, cinnamon and other stuff that she can't remember. We had fruit in the centre and cream. I must say they were delicious.

darkazana, I agree with your post (#95) regarding the youngsters being glued to their computer games and also their mobile phones. You see kids of six and seven years old stuck in front of the computer. When I was a kid I was never in the house, I was out playing with my mates and learning about life. Still, it was a different world in those days.

My brother had a friend called Martin Booth back in the 1960's/70's who lived in Hucknall, my brother's name is Philip Housley and were neigbours, was it you by any chance ?..............

I'm not quite as naughty as I pretend to be :rolleyes: because I knew we were having Pancakes today, we didn't have breakfast. We had late breakfast and early lunch in one! Brunch. So my four Pancakes were actually two meals in one. Fresh fruit salad for tea. Not a healthy days diet but a gels gotta live a little. slywink

• Upvote 3

No pancakes for us this year, noblue Still no computer at work and it has been such a difficult day, with "if it can happen, it did" that I completely forgot about pancakes. Big fat FAIL as a wife for me.

Just ate 2 large pncakes, now I feel sick..................

• 4 years later...

Forgot it was pancake day. Here its Martedi Grasso ( Mardi Gras)  so today is carnevali. Will leave pancakes for another day. I know its not the same but they're too good to eat them only once a year.

• Upvote 1

Had no dinner, but 4 whacking pancakes with lemon juice and sugar.  Superb, but so filling.......... Burp !

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1