Happy Pancake Day

Beefsteak, you don't know what you're missing; bragging about making 16 pancakes and 'not one hit the ceiling'!!

Last year - when it was my little grand daughter's first appreciation of 'Pancake Day' - I tossed a pancake and it landed up on the kitchen ceiling. You should have heard the hysterical laughter from my grand children; I swear it was better than 'Pancake Day' itself.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pancake day always leaves me flat

They say the first one is no good..............................True I did a thumbnail to save space.   

Pancake day already? That crepe'd up quickly? 

What is it you suffer with Jackson? Iv had a problem with my ears ringing for a couple of years now, think it's down to all the clubbing and loud headphones when listening to music. Really annoying.... :(

....I'm going to grow a lemon tree in the greenhouse now, well, attempt to! Now iv just got to find some seeds or a small baby lemon tree.

I thought you were moving house soon? If so you need to keep it in a pot for the time being. Lemon trees can be bought from many garden centres.

Hi pixie, after a terrible cough last year I suffered viral labyrinthitis: vertigo, extreme dizziness - couldn't get my balance. I'm still suffering - there's nothing they can give you - but managing to get about with confidence. It is very common. As for the ringing in your ears, I should check this with your doctor; there is an ailment called Tinnitus, I'm not saying this is what it is but go and have your ears checked.

Hi pixie, jackson is right about tinnitus, it could be just wax in your ears .I have had tinnitus myself for about 20 years, also had vertigo 1 year ago but only for 3 days.Tinnitus could be caused by loud music or infection in the ear.Get in touch with Action on hearing loss and tinnitus. Tel: 02072968264/ or

web: www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk /Email: supporterservices@hearingloss.org.uk. The Patron is his royal highness the duke of Edinburgh.

Been to the doctor last year, they said its Tinnitus, apparently its caused by loud noises.. Alot of builders get it & people who go into nightclubs, have their music on their earphones too loud etc, its easing off a little but its more noticable at night when its silent. been told to maybe wear ear plugs if i do go out to clubs and such. Im hoping to get a move soon compo, But it doesnt look likely for another year or so .. typical council. So for the time being, just making this house a 'home' & getting the garden looking nice.. The only thing i can do really! Ill be taking a trip upto the garden centre at the weekend & maybe invest in one.. I go to one near lowdham, i think its called water world? I just go in usually to look at all the fishes they have, abit sad really.. but im not 'aloud' any of my own unfortunately - too many pets as it is! lol

Dinnae mess aboot - go and see your doctor at once; he/she will tell you what, if anything, is wrong.

Sorry, messages seem to have crossed, yours wan't there when I typed mine.

I can't have fish in my pond up here - the otters would snaffle them all.

Awh no! we used to have a pond when i was a child, i used to sit right next to it n try n look in to find frogs (i used to LOVE frogs for some reason) So to keep me away, i was told the story of a giant 'pond spider' that used to jump up out the water if anyone got to close... i used to be scared of spiders so after being told this, i kept well away haha!! sorry, reading that just reminded me of that little memory....

I want a pretty tank of some gold fish, nothing specail.. just some shubunkins, black moors & these gold ones with eyes on the side of their heads that allways look upwards.. But with two cats who refuse to go out & two indoor pigs because they cant go out in a hutch, they were allways indoor & i adopted them, going out in a hutch could make them poorly.. or kill them.. Because of this, im not aloud any pretties. Although i keep using the excuse 'But baby would love to sit and look at them!' .. What can i say, if i had it my own way id have what iv got, a rabbit, a pug, some fish & a cockatoo!! lol

Hi Pixie,

Get to the doctors and tell him/her about the ringing in the ears, if it's in both of them it's sometimes a sign of high blood pressure, I've suffered with it for a few years now and it's no joke as you say at night when it's all quiet

Rog

• 11 months later...

:biggrin: Pancake Day today? Many thanks for the reminder red.

Now if there's one thing I enjoy doing, it's tossing pancakes; such good fun and I'm real good at it: once sent a thick, well browned one up to the ceiling and it stuck up there! Boy did it cause some laughs. :biggrin: Happy Memories.

The pancake is also connected with a local legend:

'The quaint village of Linby is renowned locally as the place the pancake was invented, baked to honour brave local women who killed the Danish invaders who enslaved them after their husbands fled.'

linby_cross.jpg

• Upvote 1

It's "Paczki" day here! A kind of Polish donut. Nationally known as "Fat Tuesday".

I'm giving up living in the lap of luxury, my fortnightly holidays to the Bahamas, the bottle of "Bolly" with every meal (Including the one with breakfast) and it's just plain old "T Bone" for dinner as opposed to "Fillet"

slywink

The pancake is also connected with a local legend:

'The quaint village of Linby is renowned locally as the place the pancake was invented, baked to honour brave local women who killed the Danish invaders who enslaved them after their husbands fled.'

linby_cross.jpg

Women of Linby invented chucking an egg into flour and water because passing Vikings gave 'em a damn good rogering....So they killed 'em....Yeah!...I can believe that if I believe the tooth fairy.

Oh...Stu is 100% correct.We're pretty sure a Viking army did pass within a couple of miles of Linby on the Old North Road,on it's way to overwinter in Nottingham.Most probably behind earthworks built on the site of the castle.

As for the odd rape and pillage and inventing the pancake...I think I'll wait for the movie.

Believe it or not , the Vikings did indeed travel up the Leen in their 'Long boats' as their shallow draft allowed them to do so. There are accounts that the Leen was settled and a homstead built along it long before Snottingham itself

• Upvote 1