Happy Pancake Day

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pancake day always leaves me flat

They say the first one is no good..............................True I did a thumbnail to save space.   

Pancake day already? That crepe'd up quickly? 

Well, Stu did say "legend" - not proven history. Mind you, I can't imagine Danish invaders rowing their fighting ships up the Leen !

Cheers Stephen. As you say, quoting a legend - not purporting it as the truth or otherwise.

The Danes are reputed to have travelled down the Old North Road (now the A60) in 868AD on their way from York to sack Nottingham. It was stated in a local history class I attended that they 'found' Arnold tucked away in the thickness of Sherwood Forest and invaded what would have been a tiny hamlet at the time near St. Mary's Church.

Pancakes tonight will be topped with a Mango, Apple and Pear puree ( just freshly made by yours truely) topped off with fresh Raspberrys and clotted cream. (Heart attack city !)

Believe it or not , the Vikings did indeed travel up the Leen in their 'Long boats' as their shallow draft allowed them to do so. There are accounts that the Leen was settled and a homstead built along it long before Snottingham itself

Bet they didn't moor in "Linby Docks" though!!

I think my dad owned 868AD - it was a Ford Consul!

sounds nice beefy had mine with the old golden surup and a half of squeezed orange juice enjoyed them sat on my bed as dave brought them up to me with a milky coffee think he might just have put that arsnic in and did not want me to fall on the floor i would already be in bed when i died. lol.

How else would they stop by the Horse and Groom for a pint?

Just a little bit of my family history ....... The Horse and Groom was in my family for probably 50+ years. My uncle ran it very successfully for 25 yrs and before that my Great Aunt and Uncle kept it. I spent a lot of time there, happy days.

and just to jog the memories a bit after pancake day came came whip and tops getting new clothes ready for easter and in our case sundy school anniversary. i always got 3 new dresses socks shoes cloves and bonnet after anniversary hat was trimed up for easter bonnet parades my older sisters whould sew ribbons on add chicks and egg shells painted in bright coulors won quite a few nice chocolate eggs with then.

Just a little bit of my family history ....... The Horse and Groom was in my family for probably 50+ years. My uncle ran it very successfully for 25 yrs and before that my Great Aunt and Uncle kept it. I spent a lot of time there, happy days.

Always loved The Horse and Groom, such a cosy pub. It's getting rare these days as it's one of the dwindling amount of pubs that hasn't resorted to knocking all the smaller rooms through into one big open-plan space and it's all the better for it. Linby looked beautiful at Christmas the way the village was lit up. I called in for a pint at The Horse and Groom and there was a lovely warming fire in the grate and an equally warm welcome. Smashing place.

Been in and around Linby quite a bit over the years, have a regular walk that passes through Newstead Abbey and Linby from Papplewick, used to love the Bonfire night celebrations there and even got the rocks for my pond at the quarry at Linby! Visiting The Horse and Groom is always a pleasure and never seems to change, thankfully.

I have a special feeling for Linby village as for my late mum, a Hucknall girl, it was very much her playground as a youngster. I remember her telling me that she and her childhood sweetheart carved their names and a heart on one of the crosses but I've never know which, nor been able to find it. It's probably worn away after all these years.

• Upvote 2

and just to jog the memories a bit after pancake day came came whip and tops getting new clothes ready for easter and in our case sundy school anniversary. i always got 3 new dresses socks shoes cloves and bonnet after anniversary hat was trimed up for easter bonnet parades my older sisters whould sew ribbons on add chicks and egg shells painted in bright coulors won quite a few nice chocolate eggs with then.

I used to love my whip and top, I suppose in this nanny state they are far too dangerous nowadays!!!

just a few years ago part of my job was facilitating street play and we always took whip and tops, snobs, marbles, hoops. skipping ropes long and short ones, dieablos, stilts , chalks, bean bags, you would not belive some of the comments made by the older local people until you reminded them of the games they used to play got them involved turning ropes singing the old ryhmes one old lady in her 80s even drew the hopscotch for us and tought the kids how to playincluding the hopping

• Upvote 2

I can empathise with that. I was a youth worker for 12 years or so and I also introduced "playground" games into the club. These were 14-18 year olds enjoying something they had missed out on in their primary years. And it was great nostalgia for us workers too. I think its really sad that nowadays so many skills are being lost to computer games particularly the social ones!

Well, my pancake was a little unconventional because, for the first time ever, we didn't have any eggs. My wife made some out of baking powder, vanilla extract, flour, milk, a spoonful of oil, cinnamon and other stuff that she can't remember. We had fruit in the centre and cream. I must say they were delicious.

darkazana, I agree with your post (#95) regarding the youngsters being glued to their computer games and also their mobile phones. You see kids of six and seven years old stuck in front of the computer. When I was a kid I was never in the house, I was out playing with my mates and learning about life. Still, it was a different world in those days.

Forgot about Pancake day but will make up for it today got about 5 lb oranges off the tree

Bought a 2.5 lb bag of Cadbury's Mini eggs the other day wife got to them first ate the lot had to go buy more as they are seasonal only here till they run out.

• 2 years later...

Are they all for you then Carni ?........ LOL