• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BUMP Next week its coming up to the 50th anniversary of the opening of GEM Supercentre on Loughborough Rd in 1964 (now Asda). That building though replaced by a new store in 1999, had the distinctio

On This Day in 1964…   https://www.britishpathe.com/asset/87005/

A few more pics of GEM at West Bridgford from the opening feature in November 1964 ,starting with a glimpse of the motor accessories (specially for Commo ) at the bottom of the first image . That brin

siddha , sorry those names don't ring any bells .

I left in 1977 and for virtually the whole of my time there worked on the non-food sections . Where did they work in the store ?

Can't remember if I posted this on here before but there is this photo from the mid 70s of some the non-food staff , (me with 'tash) . Looking at the signs , when you could buy a Qualcast Suffolk Colt Petrol mower for £59 and a Punch for £69 .

8569011345_cee8b671df_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

May as well post these photos that were from the ASDA in house newspaper of 1977 featuring the West Bridgford store . You never know someone googling might be pleased to see a photo of themselves (or their grandad / grandma !)

8570108086_254d75a3dc_h.jpg

Close up-This one the checkout operators

8569014835_632942925f_b.jpg

This one Non-food soft-goods staff

8569016647_49b7eb7dba_b.jpg

This one management staff . Store manager Russell Fanaken on the far left .

8570109926_d5417e9337_b.jpg

My mum worked there part-time when i was a Kid must have been around 67? seem to remember was it the first centre to have late night trading as early as the 1960's not everyone had a car in those days so they were quite forward thinking

Sheridan , you are right it was the first centre to have late night opening , not only that but it was also the very first out of town shopping centre in the country . First to have free parking, a petrol station , free bus , car wash, travel agent , hair dressers,etc etc.

Initially it was just late nights on aThursday and Friday till 8pm. They still maintained the local half day closing on a Wednesday ! Though later probably when ASDA took it over they went to being closed all day Monday . Sunday trading was still decades away.

• 1 year later...

BUMP

Next week its coming up to the 50th anniversary of the opening of GEM Supercentre on Loughborough Rd in 1964 (now Asda). That building though replaced by a new store in 1999, had the distinction of being the UKs very first out of town shopping centre complete with petrol station , restaurant , tyre bay etc.

Some will say it was the start of the decline of the high street but my interest as mentioned previously is that my dad was in charge of the construction and I worked there from the beginning , as a Saturday lad and stayed on for some 13 years .

Tried to get Asda interested as I would have thought it would have been good PR for them, as by buying GEM it was estimated it gave them a 5 year lead over other supermarket chains in out of town shopping . However they don't seem interested .

Not sure whether it will be in the Post or in Bygones but I think the Post are possibly running a story about it within the next week . Would be interested if anyone sees it .

• Upvote 3

Thanks Michael , I will keep checking their website but not every story from the paper makes it to the web .

I have actually contacted Asda on three different occasions about it and got nowhere . I have a feeling their PR people are on the young side and don't really understand the significance so have given up with them .

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Cliff Ton for the link to the pictures . Some I have already used , one of the bus ones with permission of the owner .

Some photos that show up are ones posted on this site by me . Cheers !

Great , thanks for the heads up on the story Katyjay . Just phoned my brother and as it happens he has bought todays Post and has seen the article and is saving it for me . Cheers !

• Upvote 2
  • 2 months later...

Strangely the GEM article has been repeated in this months Bygones ? (According to my bruvver). He tells me there is also a piece on famous Notts folk though he says there are some omissions .

• 1 year later...

I have fond memories of shopping at Gem in the mid to late 1970s with my parents and grandparents. My grandad used to pick us up in West Bridgford from Clifton and we'd all shop together as we didn't have a car. I remember the black and white buildings on Loughborough Road, still there now.

Food in Gem was just left in boxes on the shelves and not 'presented' as it is now.

I found it all a treat and a great trip out!

Happy memories.

David just picked up on this thread,and if you were there in 64 can you remember a lad with the surname carty?  Think first name doug not sure, anyway was working with me at the time and left Marsden to join gem

Thanks cliff-ton................think i found Doug Carty,...........on#30.....3rd from right middle row.........and 31#  1st on left bottom row........smart chap in suit with long hair............could be wrong as its over 50 years..........perhaps David W....can confirm?

Benjamin ,  the name Carty rings some vague bells . To be honest food and non-food staff didn't mix that much ....We were just too busy !

Could be him in the middle of the management photo with the long hair . The guy in the jumper next to him was the food warehouse manager as far as I remember .

( I'm the one with the tash (and hair!) next to Mr Fanaken , the store manager). 

In the other photo it's a different guy . If I have got it right , the guy standing next to the trellis was the manager on the electrical section (forgotten his name ).

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Just found this forum about GEM.

As a callow youth in addition to my day job I worked part time for a firm on Cliff Rd who supplied cleaning staff to the store. It was my job to drive the Commer mini-bus, collect and deliver the ladies to the store then take them back to Clifton. I drove the floor polishing machine.

The store manager was an American, not very tall and a little portly. He also had very sticky out ears. I can't remember his name but the ladies all called him Mickey Mouse.

If we were a team member short one of the cleaners would bring her daughter as a replacement. She always turned up with an empty shopping bag and always left with it full. Don't know, didn't ask, scared me to death.

• Upvote 1

Sorry to say Brew........we caught lots of contract cleaners 'Well at it''..........you wouldn't believe how much they could cram into their 'Mop buckets''

• Upvote 1