5 hours ago, Brew said:

Just found this forum about GEM.

The store manager was an American, not very tall and a little portly. He also had very sticky out ears. I can't remember his name but the ladies all called him Mickey Mouse.

The store manager from the opening was Alan Bradford . I will stand corrected but though he had an American accent , I believe he was English born . He certainly spent a period of time in America . He got me my job there as a Saturday lad .

Alan Bradford is standing on the right of this trio.

8573043546_52555dc42e_z.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BUMP Next week its coming up to the 50th anniversary of the opening of GEM Supercentre on Loughborough Rd in 1964 (now Asda). That building though replaced by a new store in 1999, had the distinctio

On This Day in 1964…   https://www.britishpathe.com/asset/87005/

A few more pics of GEM at West Bridgford from the opening feature in November 1964 ,starting with a glimpse of the motor accessories (specially for Commo ) at the bottom of the first image . That brin

The original GEM was a market, separate businesses rented a piece of floorspace. It wasn't about cutting prices (remember retail price maintenance?), it was about everything under one roof.  The grocery department was the lynch-pin of the whole operation, and was operated by Associated Dairies (of Leeds). However, this operational model became unsustainable and in a bold move, Associated Dairies took over the whole shebang, renamed as Asda, and the Superstore was born.

"GEM" it was the only place I knew at the time who sold Heinz baby tins for 6d.

• 7 months later...

David, don't know if you have seen it but there was an article in the Nottingham Post, July 10th, 2017 which featured your old workplace.  I saved it with you in mind and it has been gathering dust in my garage since it was published.  If you would like it please PM me.  Good luck with the One Show!

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I would have been working there when those photos were taken , the older photos from near opening day have the GEM sign on the left hand front facia of the building .

For some reason (planning?) the size of the sign was reduced and later plonked on top of the front entrance canopy .

That front entrance was later closed and sole entry to the store was at the side facing the larger car park .

Think that happened when ASDA took over most of the concessions and swung the checkouts round to that side of the store . I remember there being 40 checkouts in all .

• Like 1

I was there pre ASDA days and each dept; had their own tills. As D Mills said originally it was just one massive market, a bit like Debenhams department store in principle but all on one floor.

Here's one for Ben. A Landers price list from 1963

The smell from the bakery on Woodh'us Rd near the Black Bull made your stomach rumble

Image from ourmansfieldandarea.org.uk 

You can see the full listing of all their products there.

Landers Bread Price List 1963

• Like 1

Blimey thanks OZ,, I'd forgot about Milk bread,,in fact even forgot about Landers,,didn't deal with em at Marsdens,,but they were very popular back then,,

Vans were red and cream i think? 

Mother in Law used to pay into a Christmas Club at Landers in Sutton in Ashfield to buy a Christmas hamper of Chrissy Cake, mince pies, bread, mincemeat, all presented in a festive box, usually used after for storing odds and ends.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...
2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

I've been in that ASDA quite recently. It's very much like shopping in an aircraft hangar

I have to comment on anything GEM related as I worked there from its opening as a Saturday lad whilst at college and ended up staying on full time before leaving in 1977.

Also of course , my late dad was in charge of the building of the original store and that was how I got my job after he had a word with the store manager.

The store was rebuilt in 1993 and not sure if any of the original building was retained.

Previous thread here 

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/9182-gem-at-west-bridgford/