Gibbo 04

Gem at West Bridgford

DAVIDW    1,047

Benjamin ,  the name Carty rings some vague bells . To be honest food and non-food staff didn't mix that much ....We were just too busy !

Could be him in the middle of the management photo with the long hair . The guy in the jumper next to him was the food warehouse manager as far as I remember .

( I'm the one with the tash (and hair!) next to Mr Fanaken , the store manager). 

In the other photo it's a different guy . If I have got it right , the guy standing next to the trellis was the manager on the electrical section (forgotten his name ).

Brew    325

Just found this forum about GEM.

As a callow youth in addition to my day job I worked part time for a firm on Cliff Rd who supplied cleaning staff to the store. It was my job to drive the Commer mini-bus, collect and deliver the ladies to the store then take them back to Clifton. I drove the floor polishing machine.

The store manager was an American, not very tall and a little portly. He also had very sticky out ears. I can't remember his name but the ladies all called him Mickey Mouse.

If we were a team member short one of the cleaners would bring her daughter as a replacement. She always turned up with an empty shopping bag and always left with it full. Don't know, didn't ask, scared me to death.

• Upvote 1

benjamin1945    8,413

Sorry to say Brew........we caught lots of contract cleaners 'Well at it''..........you wouldn't believe how much they could cram into their 'Mop buckets''

• Upvote 1

DAVIDW    1,047
5 hours ago, Brew said:

Just found this forum about GEM.

The store manager was an American, not very tall and a little portly. He also had very sticky out ears. I can't remember his name but the ladies all called him Mickey Mouse.

The store manager from the opening was Alan Bradford . I will stand corrected but though he had an American accent , I believe he was English born . He certainly spent a period of time in America . He got me my job there as a Saturday lad .

Alan Bradford is standing on the right of this trio.

8573043546_52555dc42e_z.jpg

Dave Mills    11

The original GEM was a market, separate businesses rented a piece of floorspace. It wasn't about cutting prices (remember retail price maintenance?), it was about everything under one roof.  The grocery department was the lynch-pin of the whole operation, and was operated by Associated Dairies (of Leeds). However, this operational model became unsustainable and in a bold move, Associated Dairies took over the whole shebang, renamed as Asda, and the Superstore was born.

mary1947    667

"GEM" it was the only place I knew at the time who sold Heinz baby tins for 6d.