Gibbo 04

Gem at West Bridgford

Benjamin ,  the name Carty rings some vague bells . To be honest food and non-food staff didn't mix that much ....We were just too busy !

Could be him in the middle of the management photo with the long hair . The guy in the jumper next to him was the food warehouse manager as far as I remember .

( I'm the one with the tash (and hair!) next to Mr Fanaken , the store manager). 

In the other photo it's a different guy . If I have got it right , the guy standing next to the trellis was the manager on the electrical section (forgotten his name ).

• Like 1

Just found this forum about GEM.

As a callow youth in addition to my day job I worked part time for a firm on Cliff Rd who supplied cleaning staff to the store. It was my job to drive the Commer mini-bus, collect and deliver the ladies to the store then take them back to Clifton. I drove the floor polishing machine.

The store manager was an American, not very tall and a little portly. He also had very sticky out ears. I can't remember his name but the ladies all called him Mickey Mouse.

If we were a team member short one of the cleaners would bring her daughter as a replacement. She always turned up with an empty shopping bag and always left with it full. Don't know, didn't ask, scared me to death.

• Upvote 1

Sorry to say Brew........we caught lots of contract cleaners 'Well at it''..........you wouldn't believe how much they could cram into their 'Mop buckets''

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Brew said:

Just found this forum about GEM.

The store manager was an American, not very tall and a little portly. He also had very sticky out ears. I can't remember his name but the ladies all called him Mickey Mouse.

The store manager from the opening was Alan Bradford . I will stand corrected but though he had an American accent , I believe he was English born . He certainly spent a period of time in America . He got me my job there as a Saturday lad .

Alan Bradford is standing on the right of this trio.

8573043546_52555dc42e_z.jpg

The original GEM was a market, separate businesses rented a piece of floorspace. It wasn't about cutting prices (remember retail price maintenance?), it was about everything under one roof.  The grocery department was the lynch-pin of the whole operation, and was operated by Associated Dairies (of Leeds). However, this operational model became unsustainable and in a bold move, Associated Dairies took over the whole shebang, renamed as Asda, and the Superstore was born.

"GEM" it was the only place I knew at the time who sold Heinz baby tins for 6d.

MEDIA REQUEST / ADMIN CONTACTED FIRST BUT NO RESPONSE RECEIVED

Hi everyone

My name is Lauren, I work on The One Show at the BBC, I hope you don't mind me posting on here.

In the next few weeks we will be making a short film about the GEM opening in the 60s for The One Show,  and we're looking to interview anyone who worked there or remembers visiting the store. I know we've already got a local historian on the case but his search hasn't proved fruitful just yet; I noticed on here that a few of you might fit the description though! If you'd like to get in touch you can email me at lauren.norris@bbc.co.uk, would be great to chat!

Many thanks

Lauren Norris

Director

The One Show

BBC STUDIOS

Hello Lauren and welcome.

Certainly DavidW will be your man with lots to tell.  Not sure how often he gets on Nottstalgia though.  Good luck with your research. 

Thanks Lizzie have sent an email off !

• Like 1

David, don't know if you have seen it but there was an article in the Nottingham Post, July 10th, 2017 which featured your old workplace.  I saved it with you in mind and it has been gathering dust in my garage since it was published.  If you would like it please PM me.  Good luck with the One Show!

• Like 1

I would have been working there when those photos were taken , the older photos from near opening day have the GEM sign on the left hand front facia of the building .

For some reason (planning?) the size of the sign was reduced and later plonked on top of the front entrance canopy .

That front entrance was later closed and sole entry to the store was at the side facing the larger car park .

Think that happened when ASDA took over most of the concessions and swung the checkouts round to that side of the store . I remember there being 40 checkouts in all .

• Like 1

I was there pre ASDA days and each dept; had their own tills. As D Mills said originally it was just one massive market, a bit like Debenhams department store in principle but all on one floor.

Thanks David..great information, i wonder if the staff on the opening day all got a slice..plus a Dinky Toy?

Notice the product placement..a Landers Bread van near the door.

Here's one for Ben. A Landers price list from 1963

The smell from the bakery on Woodh'us Rd near the Black Bull made your stomach rumble

Image from ourmansfieldandarea.org.uk 

You can see the full listing of all their products there.

Landers Bread Price List 1963

• Like 1

Blimey thanks OZ,, I'd forgot about Milk bread,,in fact even forgot about Landers,,didn't deal with em at Marsdens,,but they were very popular back then,,

Vans were red and cream i think? 

Didn't they have shops dotted around Nottingham? I think there was one on the first floor of the Victoria Centre. Cakes, filled rolls for lunchtime, etc. 

Mother in Law used to pay into a Christmas Club at Landers in Sutton in Ashfield to buy a Christmas hamper of Chrissy Cake, mince pies, bread, mincemeat, all presented in a festive box, usually used after for storing odds and ends.

• Like 1

Landers Dundee cake..slab of that stopped yer' gallop on Xmas day.

Yes..they sold this..Landers-Seal-Icon.jpgIn Broad Marsh and Victoria Centre...13 outlets eventually.

( me Mansfield thread has some Landers snapshots.)