When The Trent Froze Over!

This fantastic photograph taken on 16th February 1895 shows the River Trent at Wilford in Nottingham completely frozen over. The wooden pile structure in the background is the contractor's temporary bridge in readiness for the construction of the impressive Trent Viaduct. Note the wave formations in the ice.I bet even Al can't remember this far back? :D

post-10-1089411587_thumb.jpg

• 8 years later...

It used to do it quite often (When I say 'quite often' I don't have exact figures but it was about once every 20 years), but the power station putting warm water in and the greater width of the bridge supports put paid to it.

• 4 months later...

Global warming you say??? Bloody snow in tonights forecast, SNOW!! Almost unkown at these latitudes this time of year......I'm going to invest in a wharehouse and stock it full of thick blankets and woolly long johns, the ice age is coming...

No warehouse, my spell checker didn't pick the error up.

• 3 years later...

The Trent frozen.  Closed to paddling but open to skating :)  Don't know the date but I think the last time the Trent froze was before the weirs were installed towards the end of the 1800s  Further information gratefully received:

31405124064_cf6ec9679a_b.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...