Old railway lines at Colwick

There used to be a lot os shunting down "Mile end road," from the 'sugar beat' factory and Trent concrete. I have vague memories of seeing one when I was going fishing with my dad as a 5 year old

A money-saving exercise? Don't know if you've tried it, but if you go along to the right - on Streetview - every time there is an entrance to a factory, the old rails reappear. So presumably they must be still buried under the grass verges all the way along; it's easier and cheaper than digging them out. They weren't removed, just hidden under whatever was near......And I suppose they also act as a kind of primitive speed hump.

And I can also vaguely remember seeing trains within that estate when I was a kid. That kind of thing fascinated me - trains on roads.

Taking it a step further.....Parliament Street bus garage still has tram tracks on its floor - and they haven't been used since 1936!

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Fisher+Gate,+UK&hl=en&ll=52.952421,-1.138217&spn=0.000932,0.002293&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=39.780156,75.146484&oq=fi&hnear=Fisher+Gate,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=52.952335,-1.138734&panoid=n8o-jRstKNDaZD6dhEMwYA&cbp=12,69.72,,2,2.88

I think most of those tracks in Colwick etc were in the road as it were? akim to tram tracks. makes you wonder what came first? there was alot like that at the gas works at Basford and their sidings in level concrete and tarmac which ran virtually to Wilkinson Street, were still there 2001 maybe still are? another place which had track and wagon turntables sunk in the road was Mill Lane Bestwood Village

I remember going up pennyfoot street or some street around there as a kid and some of the tarmac on the road had worn away revealing the original cobbles and some rails from the old tramlines. I preseum most of the old tramlines are still in situ around nottingham, just tarmacked over

Colwick Industrial Estate was created by Ernest Jardine and his businesses included the Sugar Beet factory and Trent Concrete. It seems the rails were not lifted prior to the estate being sold off. With each parcel of land the new land owner would not have jurisdiction over the rails outside their property or in the roadway.

Love to know exactly when the last train used it , as I say , I remember a "Shunter" dragging something along there as a kid (Early 60s)

• 1 year later...

When I was a shunter at Nottingham Carriage Sidings in the early 1980s, we used to send a class 08 shunter down to what we called Colwick Estates. I don't know what exactly was there but it used to do some shunting and then take loaded wagons to Nottingham Yard just before it closed.

A friend I had in the 60s was a bus conductor on Trent Buses. One day his driver reversed into the train leaving the British Sugar premises.