Following up from another thread...The happiest years of my life were spent with my lad twenty years ago.

I tried to instil in him a love of nature,when all his mates were stuck in front of the box or their new fangled PCs.Every weekend I dragged him out round the countryside and he wasn't impressed.

Then one day he started asking questions...I'd cracked it!!....All of a sudden he couldn't wait to get out and explore.

I bought him his own scope,binoculars,books and camera and we'd set out.I passed on all I'd learned about birds animals and plants and hopefully he'll pass it on to his own kids.

Kids that have never been introduced to Mother Nature don't know what they're missing.His own mates teased him unmercifully and his nickname at school was 'Goose' because he was a birdwatcher...rotten lot.

134ad259.jpgd3699c16.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You'd like it here then Jackson mi duk. Yesterday I was watching seals in the Thurso River estuary and on my way home A deer jumped out of the hedgerow right in front of me as I walked up the lane from the bus stop.

Brought up with it weren't we Kath? - Nature - Broxtowe Woods in the Frying Pan down the road: on up to the stream where the newts thrived and then on to the stile and into the meadow . . .

I still think of that meadow and all the wildflowers we picked on there, dodging the old bulls of course! They ran many a kid down the hill to the woods. We took our Springer Spaniel in there once and he rolled in the cow muck, came home green! Had to be hosed off before he was allowed back in the house.

Meadow.....Ahhh, memories of a scene gone forever. Looooooooooooong sigh.

Remember how when word got round at school that gypsies were in the meadow and we rushed down after tea and stood in awe and watched them around their camp fire making pegs?

Now you rush down after tea and watch them concreting the meadow before the council latch on.

gypsies were in the meadow and we rushed down after tea and stood in awe and watched them around their camp fire making pegs?

Shouldn't that be ........gypsies were in the meadow and we rushed down after tea and stood in awe and watched them around their camp fire with their Toyota Landcruisers and Range Rovers?

;) with apologies to jackson

Shouldn't that really be, ,,,,, 'We all rushed home after school to make sure that hadn't pinched our bikes' !!

Again ,, appologies to Jackson

TAKING THE P. . . . (sorry don't want to get thrown off) FELLAS! No these were the days when the true Romanies camped in the meadow, made their pegs and came round later selling their wares at the back kitchen door. Makes me sound ancient doesn't it? But would rather have these memories than the modern ones you mention.

Remember when we were lads and one of us had a ferret which we used to take out netting for rabbits. One day up Landmere lane somewhere a gypsy offered to help us out and show us how best to do it. while we were netting holes below the hedge row he pi**ed off with the ferret.

• 3 weeks later...

Iv allways wanted a ferret when I was growing up, my mum never liked them. She said they were vicious and smelt.

.... Now iv moved out, I'm STILL bot aloud one because my partner doesn't like the look of them.

I'm not much or a 'nature' person, I have to ask other people about plans and birds, but I do love walks by the river, down the woods, I could sit and watch birds and other widlife all day if I could. I hope my lady grows up to appreciate such beautiful things as she gets older & has a love for animals like I do!

I'm not much or a 'nature' person, I have to ask other people about plans and birds, but I do love walks by the river, down the woods, I could sit and watch birds and other widlife all day if I could.

Then you most certainly are a 'nature' person Pixie. All it takes is an appreciation of God's great outdoors and what is to be found within it.

ON WAY TO GUNTHORPE TODAY FOR LUNCH CAME DOWN COLWICKLOOP RD JUST PAST THE FOOTBALL PITCHES BUT BEFOR GETTING ON TO BURTON JOYCE RD LOOKED OUT THE CAR WINDOW UP ON ONE OF THE LAMPOSTS JUST OF THE SIDE OF THE RD WAS SAT A BEUTYFUL PERAGRINE FALCON .KNOW OF COURSE BECAUSE OFTHE WOODS AND THE FIELDS AROUND THAT AREA THEY HAVE ALWAYS BEEN AROUND AND HAVE SEEN THEM BEFORE BUT NEVER THAT CLOSE TO THE ROAD JUST SITTING THERE. WHY IS IT THAT WHEN EVER I SPOT SOMETHING INTERESTING AND REALY CLOSE UP DAVE NEVER GOT THE CANMERA IN THE CAR.

• 6 years later...