Members 'Nostalgic Age' Photos.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is me aged about 9 or 10 with my grandma.  Mum used to curl my hair in rags each night as my hair was never naturally curly!   It's only photo I have with my grandma... she was quite old whe

Me 1968/9 on me bike outside house I was born 28 Brixton Road Radford Nottingham Arms in the background. 

I put these together for a book 'wot i rote', makes you think when your lifes compressed into 15 photo's!

Posted Images

Fab pics above!!

As promised elsewhere..the definitive answer as to which way round a 96th Nottm. ( Bendigo's Own) Cub Pack neckerchief should be worn..

Pictured here on a camp at Blidworth Bottoms on land owned ( I think ) by a family called Spencer. Probs around 1959/60.

Here I was working on further developing the 'Gormless NHS Glasses' look,  aided by knobbly knees..

Quite successful I thought.....  :laugh:

20697968774_1893e290a6_b.jpg

Col

• Upvote 3

Memories of my early years too Col,"pull yer socks up lad it looks bad in front of the troop"

Rog

• Upvote 1

Ha!!

I think the lad to the left of the washing basin may have been called 'Walters'.  The lad standing to the right may have been Skerrit. I'm sure Benjamin would know.....

Incidentally.. by the time I got to wash my knees in that bowl.. the water was about 50% mud and 50% soap..  I ony put on the faux enthusiasm for the sake of Cub Pack morale....  ;)     

• 3 months later...

P_20160417_103125_001.jpg

This is my mum in 1947, taken 2 weeks after her wedding. I love the hats they wore in those days! She was all dressed up for the christening of my cousin at Beeston Parish Church.

• Upvote 4

P_20170708_111004.jpg

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned on this site that it would have been my parents' 68th wedding anniversary and that they were married at St. Peter's Church Old Radford in Nottingham.

The vicar who married them was the Rev Frederick George Ralph and one or two members, after consulting their families' historical documents, noted that he had also officiated at their own parents' wedding. 

This prompted me to do a little research into the Rev Frederick George Ralph and I discovered that he was born in 1904 in the Isle of Wight and after attending theological College in London, was ordained as a priest in 1931. He came to Nottingham in the 1930s and was initially the vicar of St Christopher's in Sneinton where he lived at St Christopher's Vicarage on Sneinton Boulevard along with his wife Dorothy. The Vicarage is still there and is apparently lived in by the female vicar who shares it with various other females who help out with work in the parish. In 1947, Rev Ralph moved to be the vicar of St Peter's Old Radford and it must have seemed quite a novelty to him to have a church with a roof on it because St Christopher's had been severely damaged by German bombers during the war.

The Reverend Ralph remained at St Peter's church in Old Radford until 1961 when he returned to the place where he was born on the Isle of Wight and became the Vicar of Totland church until 1974 when he retired. He lived for a further three years, dying in 1977 and he is buried in the churchyard of Christ Church Totland Bay. For some reason, since I was a child and looked at my parents' wedding photographs, I was always fascinated by this man and wanted to know more about him. Now I do!

• Upvote 6

P_20170708_110511_004.jpg

Here is my paternal grandmother, Kate Sparrow, nee Hudson,  dressed in her not very glamorous working attire sometime during 1917 when she was employed at the Chilwell Ordnance depot doing an extremely dangerous job. 

I think this is one of the first photographs I remember seeing as a child and I couldn't understand why she was dressed in such strange clothes. Kate was supposed to have been at work on the night of the great explosion at Chilwell but her fiance was home on leave as was her older sister's husband. Kate's older sister, Elsie, also worked at Chilwell but the two of them decided they wouldn't turn in that night and went to the cinema in Beeston instead. Half way through the film, the whole building started to shake and plaster began to rain down from the ceiling. Some of Kate's friends and colleagues had been killed and many more were injured. From that moment on, Kate decided that the Almighty had spared her and that she must have a charmed life. During the rest of it, she rarely did any housework and just sat in a chair and ordered everybody else about! However, there are those in my family who say that she was like that before the explosion!

• Upvote 6

P_20170708_115229_001.jpg

This photograph was taken on the factory floor and Kate is shown standing on the far right.My father used to say he didn't know which would do the most damage if it went off - Kate or the shell she is standing next to! Kate had a formidable temper and an extremely short fuse! 

This photo has appeared in the NEP.

• Upvote 2

Love the old photo's

please, please help have tried to post my photos and don't seem to get any where can any member point me the way?

P_20170708_124917_002.jpg

My paternal great grandmother, Sarah Sparrow, nee Savage. 1857- 1893. Sarah was born in Deeping St James and was the second wife of William Sparrow. They ran a grocery shop in Wollaton Road, Beeston. Don't think Ben worked there...He's not quite old enough!

Sarah gave birth to a son, my grandfather Ted, in September 1891 and died of cancer 18 months later. Her grave is in the Wollaton Road cemetery in Beeston.

• Upvote 2

You are right jill,didnt work there, however i did have dealings with a shop in deeping st james, late 70s vg shop.

• Upvote 1

P_20160417_143101_001.jpg

My maternal grandfather, Louis Saunt, who worked at Karlsruhe House...never heard any more about that thread, did we?

Born in 1883 at Alison Rise in Nottingham. Took me every day in my push chair to Hyson Green library and taught me to read and write before I started school. I owe this man a great debt.

• Upvote 2

P_20170708_141404_002.jpg

Kate's father, John Samuel Hudson, 1865-1935. Lace designer and Leivers lace maker. Difficult, temperamental, 6 feet tall, mean as muck with his wife, generous to the local urchins of Beeston. Lived at 12 Chapel Street, where he died.