Members 'Nostalgic Age' Photos.

So you guys got ticked off for wearing Brylcream, the way we girls got ticked of for spraying mirrors with our hair lacquer!

Jackson, My older sister Vonny (Veronica) used hair lacquer that came in big bottles, decanted into a spray bottle that worked by 'squeeze pressure' (pre-aerosol) if she overdid the spraying it would sit like sticky globules in her hair, and on the mirror. I can't remember where this lacquer was purchased, or the name, but suffice to say my sisters bouffant never moved an inch!!

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is me aged about 9 or 10 with my grandma.  Mum used to curl my hair in rags each night as my hair was never naturally curly!   It's only photo I have with my grandma... she was quite old whe

Me 1968/9 on me bike outside house I was born 28 Brixton Road Radford Nottingham Arms in the background. 

I put these together for a book 'wot i rote', makes you think when your lifes compressed into 15 photo's!

Posted Images

A lass in a place I worked went up in flames.Huge bouffant hairdo laquered to hell...she went to the sink to use the Ascot...the gas went 'Poof' as it lit like they always did, and that was it...she was all aflame.A guy chucked a coat over her and it went out straight away.Strange thing was she was hysterical but not burnt...apart from her lovely hairdo.

I was banned from using the stuff - lacquer that is - was told my hair would fall out; but all the girls used it when bouffants were the craze. The worst thing was when you combed your bouffant out, all flecks of white - what looked like dandruff - would coat the top of your clothes.

The owner of Pompador hair lacquer was a Mr Barron, he lived on Harrow Road, Wollaton Park. The factory was on Wollaton Street, (I think). He was a character, he would go for his fish supper at the chippie next to the White Horse late at night, his XJ12 parked outside.

My wife was good friends with wife Muriel, she was a nice lady. Sadly both have passed on now.

In the Sixties, business must have been brisk for Mr Barron when bouffants were in. We teenage girls would also buy special combs for back combing - the secret of a good bouffant. Our parents would threaten: "you'll ruin you hair, all that back combing and hair lacquer," but we still made bouffants.

Dusty Springfield had fantastic bouffant hairstyles, whether they were natural or not didn't matter.

Jackson, did the backcombing really ruin the hair or was it just a threat to stop you doing it?

Hi Compo, looking back I did give my hair some hammer when a teenager: backcombing, rinsing, bleaching, lacqeuring, perming but I'm glad to say it survives. I think our parents objected because the bouffant style was quite revolutionary for the time; although back in Madame de Pompadour's time hair styles were so high, it was reputed that mice lived in them!!

Had a thought: wonder if 'Pompadour' hair lacquer was named after Madame?

A life-size cardboad advertizing sign featuring SWMBO's sister in the early 1960s

014.JPG

mgread, how do you do it?: 'that lipstick they wore same colour as a penny bubbly' (quote). Brilliant description in ten words and I'm back in time.

PS: Wished the 'Quote' thing would work for me when only wanting a section of the writing.

\snip\

PS: Wished the 'Quote' thing would work for me when only wanting a section of the writing.

You mean like this? Easy peasy. Click quote and the whole quote comes up. Between the two sets of {Quote} brackets {Quote}, highlight the text you DON'T WANT and "Delete". The highlighted text will then disappear. I usually write \snip\ in so that folk know I have quoted a snippet. this way everyone can see to what you are referring when quoting a previous post. Shimples!

We teenage girls would also buy special combs for back combing - the secret of a good bouffant

I think the special combs were the tail-combs, which appeared about this time. You used the tail to lift your 'do'.

Compo, thanks for the help; I'll try it next time.

Kath, I remember the tail combs for 'lift' but the back combing combs I was referring to were black and had lots of bobbles on them; this must have been a safety measure - when I think about it - so that your hair wasn't split in two when back combing. They were quite revolutionary when they first appeared and may have been in short supply.

During school dinner breaks we girls would do each others hair, practising our bouffants. One girl name of Janet was determined to be a hairdresser when she left school - she already had a Saturday job in a Hairdressers - it was she who introduced us to the special back combing comb; I remember giving her 2/6d so that she could get one for me.

NB: 2/6d for a special comb - expensive back then - just shows how much we young girls were prepared to sacrifice for our vanity!

The last time I bought one she wanted a Brandy in it, They've been spoiled!!!

Brandy & Babycham, my first wife's drink of choice on a saturdy night, luckily it was Bitter & Lime all other times

Me and a couple of others were caught in the school changing rooms, drinking Babycham and Guinness from bottles obtained by a fellow pupil from his father's offy stock room. thought we were going to get expelled but good old Adolph (the head) gave us another chance.

i think all young ladies of a certain age draink babysham at some point it was the in drink on its own or with brandy ot advocar as a snowbal cheaper than chanpane but we thought it more sophisticated than lemonade. but then again i never liked champane still dont.