Members 'Nostalgic Age' Photos.

IMMSC there was at least one other battery to the Northern end of the Hangers,

Possibly where the circle is to the centre of this picture.

6922998978_bc7c85e966_b.jpg

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is me aged about 9 or 10 with my grandma.  Mum used to curl my hair in rags each night as my hair was never naturally curly!   It's only photo I have with my grandma... she was quite old whe

Me 1968/9 on me bike outside house I was born 28 Brixton Road Radford Nottingham Arms in the background. 

I put these together for a book 'wot i rote', makes you think when your lifes compressed into 15 photo's!

Posted Images

Compo,

One last question on Newton before I get bounced for going off thread.

We kids went through the fence on the Newton airfield boundary along Shelford Road one day. There was a series of high grass embankments which you can still see on Google. We got to the top and saw men in white coats coming out of a door in the side of the embankment. Trouble was they saw us and started shouting. Through the fence and we didn't stop pedalling until we got to RoT.

Told the old man and got a back hander for my troubles!!

What was in those bunkers back then?????????????????

When would that have been Trevor? I When I was there (1970 and again in 1971 on courses, not permanent staff) Newton was designated "9S of TT" and not operational base. The bunkers would have been 'bomb dumps' so I wonder if they were converted to nuclear rescue/decontamination bunkers as were some on another base at which I was stationed. That sort of thing was very hush-hush in those days and not widely known of - even to the station personnel. '9s of TT' was an electrical/electronic training establishment and thus could have been experimental electronic workshops. The honest answer is that I don't know.

Compo,

I know it's off topic but there's a book out all about RAF Woodhall, plenty of pictures in it (might be some of your Father) as well as loads of info, it's called "Into Thin Air" it covers all the Dambuster exploits as well as 627 sqdrn right up to the place becoming a Bloodhound site, let me know if you have difficulty getting a copy (if you want one that is) and I will have a word with Mick Hodson at Thorpe camp

Rog

ps, checkout RAF Woodhall on youtube

I'm posting these for Babs (half of Piggy and ....) because she doesn't have the technical stuff to do it herself. So here goes.........

bab1-1.jpg

Babs in the garden around 1967/68

bab3-1.jpg

Babs (kneeling on the right) helping after an "accident"

bab2-1.jpg

Babs (around 1980) dancing with Mick Marriott (6ft 6in)

That photo has not been manipulated in any way!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for posting these; it's good to meet another member in photoperson.

thought you might enjoy a laugh these are perhaps the only photoes i have got of me in my teens

photo 1 took in my next door nieghbours garden by my friend lesley denoon in her garden i was 17 or 18 at the time.

photo 2 took on mapperley top near the libary by evening post when we had just started a new cadet unit and they asked us to do some casuty simmulation for pic.i can remember all the adults but carnt remember the names of any of the cadets in the pic my friend lesley is the girl opposit me in the pic holding the triangular bandage .

photo 3 was took in 1980 when i was expecting my third son big mick was trying to teach me to jive with him not easy as he is 6ft 6inches and me a meer 4ft 10 inch but we used to have some laughs ttrying mick was one of the early aces and still a good friend of ours was with him last night and we are going out with him next week along with lesley and her hubby to see dreamboats and pettycoats.

thanks for posting them for me cliffton.

as you can see my hair was short at this time hence i could get away with going in the mod clubs too this was not long after i had had my long hair cut of i grew it again shortly after these were took and had long hair untill after having my eldest son and then had short hair untill about 2 years ago when i decided to grow it again.

durring the sixties when it was short i would also sometimes were a long hair piece and sometimes tell guys the girl with short hair was my sister

glad you like them jackson as you can see micks waist come to my bustline.

Tode ya we was poor, this is me and my mate dressed up for a night out! Actually it was a tramps supper fancy dress party, me on the left, aged about 19.

60s3.jpg

• Upvote 4

DID YOU GO IN BOWLHOLE REGULARLY KATH I WOULD SOMETIMES GO IN THERE WITH FRIENDS AFTER WE HAD BEEN ICESKATING MY COUSIN ADY WOULD USUALY BE IN THERE AND WE WOULD USUALLY END UP CHATTING FOR A WHILE TO HIM HAVE NOT SEEN HIM OR HIS SISTER SINCE THERE MUM DIED

you mean the bar upstairs i surpose thats were we used to go for a drink after our skatingas i said my cousin was a regular in there at the time remember talkingto him one night when he went to the bar some guy came and said to me you wont get very far with him i said its ok i dont want to hes my cousin , and he walked of sortly after this my cousin told me he was gay but asked me not to say anything to the family at the time he did come out a few months after this when he met his long term partner as far as i know they still live together