Members 'Nostalgic Age' Photos.

thanks poohbear thats the one whats it like inside looks good from the rd took kat and her hubby past it the other week when we went out for the day.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is me aged about 9 or 10 with my grandma.  Mum used to curl my hair in rags each night as my hair was never naturally curly!   It's only photo I have with my grandma... she was quite old whe

Me 1968/9 on me bike outside house I was born 28 Brixton Road Radford Nottingham Arms in the background. 

I put these together for a book 'wot i rote', makes you think when your lifes compressed into 15 photo's!

Posted Images

thanks poohbear thats the one whats it like inside looks good from the rd took kat and her hubby past it the other week when we went out for the day.

Thors Cave...Difficult to walk inside with sloping floor.We used to go 25 years ago at the crack of dawn before the anorak brigade flooded the area.I was more interested in the big cat prints we found at the river edge and the fossils in the cave that most visitors miss.

48110a0d.jpg

db4db087.jpg

IIRC it's Jurassic limestone, hence the Ammonites. You should be able to find Coral and possibly Crinoids in there too.

3-28-2012_034.jpg?t=1336178638Pulling a few pints at the wife's Aunts pub at 'Normanton Upon Trent Nottm' back in 1986.

a couple of me-

2vbr78l.jpg

thats me on the back row 4th from right with the red jumper with white trim

now jump forward 30 odd years-

11ub685.jpg

pic taken in 2010 as near as i could get to the exact spot the above pic was taken, its the little field across the road from southwark school behind the church

and another Henry Mellish pic!

taken as far as i can remember in about 80-81 (i left in 82)

20z4dtw.jpg

back row (again!) in the middle i can be spotted because i seem to have forgotten my tie!

taken a couple of weeks ago-

2921ttl.jpg

the pile of rubble is whats left of the buildings behind us in the school photo.

• Upvote 3

Lancaster bomber tailgunner "Tail End Charlie" Reg Smith. Born C1922 - Died 2011

Right: Pictured during World War two as a young lad

Left: Pictured in 2010 alongside the tail gun in the type of aircraft that flew him over 30 sorties over Germany and Europe.

scan0006.jpg?gl=GB

• Upvote 2

Got the tear in my eye and the lump in my throat for that last one Compo.

He wanted to get back into the turret but his loss of agility made it impossible. He never spoke of the horrors of aerial warfare over Germany but he did say that once inside that turret you were at the mercy of luck. If hit, death was a near certainty; the armour behind the gunner's seat cut-off all contact with the rest of the crew.

It was such a shame Reg Smith couldn't get back into the turret for one last time because of his loss of agility. It went through my mind that he could have been lifted up on a platform by a forklift but then I thought about 'elf & safety' putting a block on it. I'm pleased that one of our war hero's lived to a good old age.

The promble was that he wasn't able to manoeuvre himself in through the armoured turret door. He had a serious fall down a flight of stairs fall a couple of years previously that left him somewhat inflexible. After the war he worked the remainder of his life as a signalman (Bobby) on the railways in Derbyshire.

blog-lancaster867.jpg?t=1336510146Canadian built Lancaster"s Xs ready for take off at my dads home base "Middleton St George" ((6 Group RCAF) in 1944.

Me, Early 80s

post-45-1129058225.jpg

Taken at a wedding reception where I was supposed to be the photographer.

I have my left arm round a nice young lady (long trimmed off)

Hence the grin

I find it curious that people trim off ex partners from photos. Everyone but me in our family have done this at some time or other. I still have pictures featuring myself and ex together. After all it is history so why deny it? Rhetorical question - not interrogative, honest.

Should've kept it to threaten your SWMBO with <g>

P1000113.jpg

Almost the same baby carriage this one is at the Museum of Notting Life Brewhouse Yard

In 1959 my baby sister had a pram with four equal sized wheels. I think it was a "Swallow" or maybe "Swan".

Them pram wheels would have made a great trolly!