Members 'Nostalgic Age' Photos.

I have mentioned in a past posting how my paternal granddad was a drinker and sometimes got nasty with it. I put this down to spending four years in France during the First World War. That's him on the right in the photo. He had two sisters, one of which, Alice is seen below. I would think that the photo was taken at the turn of the century. Wasn't she a good-looker, with her cottage loaf hair style.

I have also mentioned in a previous post how I went for my first interview after leaving school, took one look at the place and said 'no thank you'. That decision changed my life. It was something of a similar story with Alice. She was very religious and was courting a member of the clergy, probably a  curate. She took her young man to meet her brother (granddad) and his wife at Bell Terrace. While they were there he came home much the worse for drink. The young man did nothing more and left the house and Alice never saw him again. She never married. If only they had visited on a different day, or before her brother went out drinking, how different her life probably would have been. But it was not to be. In 1923 she emigrated to America and became a nanny to well-off people, spending most of her life in Pasadena, California. I met her on two occasions when she came over. A really nice old lady.

Alice%20Birch_zpsc7q7c00e.jpg

• Upvote 6
  • Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is me aged about 9 or 10 with my grandma.  Mum used to curl my hair in rags each night as my hair was never naturally curly!   It's only photo I have with my grandma... she was quite old whe

Me 1968/9 on me bike outside house I was born 28 Brixton Road Radford Nottingham Arms in the background. 

I put these together for a book 'wot i rote', makes you think when your lifes compressed into 15 photo's!

Posted Images

Too bad the curate took off.  It wasn't her fault.  Probably better of without him if he wanted to be so Pharisaical.  After all none of our families are perfect.  Glad my first wife didn't choose me on the basis of my family, or my second one for that matter. :rolleyes:

Lovely photo, Chulla. Reminds me very much of one I have of my own grandmother, born 1889.

I think your relative had a lucky escape! If the clergyman was so easily put off, he wasn't worth the trouble anyway! No one's family is without its rattling skeletons in the closet, including his I shouldn't wonder!

• Upvote 1

Add this to my photo at #494 and it would make a 4th generation. My great grandmother Fanny Stapleton Walker, (later Smedley) b. 30th September 1873 coincidentally the same date of birth as me - not that I was born 1873 mind!  Calculated guess but I reckon this picture was taken on her 21st birthday 30.9.1894. Her birth certificate here also. She didn't live too long unfortunately. She died in childbirth in 1913 aged 39.

16m4kzt.jpg

2m3pytw.jpg

• Upvote 5

What beautiful writing on the birth certificate at #509

Well, now we're getting into some really old photos.  Thats great.

Here's one of a real pup.  With Mother, maternal grandmother on right.  Maternal great grandmother on left.

Dave%20as%20a%20baby.jpg

• Upvote 4

I mentioned that Alice had a sister; she also had two brothers, one of whom was granddad. The old man in the first photo left his wife because she couldn't give him children. He then took up with another who gave him his children. When you see how beautiful the girls Alice and Margaret (photo below) turned out to be and the other brother, Bernard (photo below), I suppose you can't really blame him. Margaret has an air of dignity about her. She married and lived on Foxhill Road Carlton. Bernard was in the First World War, but not in France. he died in 1943 following a simple operation in hospital. Mighty fine looking man. All were employed in the lace trade; the men as mechanics - William Joseph was known as a whitesmith.

Interestingly, because the children were illegitimate, their father's name is not on their birth certificates. However, the mother gave the name Birch as their second first-name, so Alice, for example, is officially Alice Birch Birch. Our family is not particularly  interesting, but knowing this and having the old photos makes it so for us.

Margaret%20and%20Bernard_zpsdh1xfzao.jpg

• Upvote 4

There is certainly an elegance about the dress of the women from this era which is sadly missing today. I often look at the photos of my grandmothers and great grandmothers with their tiny waists, impeccable gowns and upswept hair, wondering what they would make of some of the obese, tattooed, skimpy T shirt wearing females of the 21st century. Dread to think.

• Upvote 5

Bonner%20group_zpstxzcjbny.jpg

This is a family group of my grandparents and their five children outside their cottage at Caythorpe in Lincolnshire, taken probably somewhere between 1930 and 1932.

My grandparents would have been in their mid to late 50s then. Behind them, left to right, are Jasper, Mary (my mother), Nat, Kath and Harry. My Uncle Jasper would still have been in his teens then, and my mother about 20 years old. My Uncle Nat has recently been mentioned on another thread with people remembering when he was a teacher at Greenwood School in the 1950s/60s.

• Upvote 5
On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2012 at 5:06 PM, Paulus said:

Jackson, My older sister Vonny (Veronica) used hair lacquer that came in big bottles, decanted into a spray bottle that worked by 'squeeze pressure' (pre-aerosol) if she overdid the spraying it would sit like sticky globules in her hair, and on the mirror. I can't remember where this lacquer was purchased, or the name, but suffice to say my sisters bouffant never moved an inch!!

The hair was from Pompadour Mount st Basford If you brought it with the bottle it cost 2/6 if you had it refilled up it cost 2/- it was called lacquer because it contained sellac now days not used in hair sprays, the best thing about lacquer was that your hair once sprayed would not dare move out of it's style

Loved looking at all the photo's I think if members looked back at a topic that, I started, it proves that there's nothing to touch our old photos. Topic Photos September 6th 2015.

Here's a photo of my Mum, her brothers, sisters and parents in about 1915.  She's the one with the dark hair sitting at the front.  All my aunts and uncles died well before they were 70, but my Mum lived to be 94.  

image_zpsi29evq9x.jpeg

• Upvote 5

And here's one of my Great Grandmother [my Mum's Grandmother] around the 1880s 

image.jpg2_zpsdhnkfusi.jpg

• Upvote 2

Den, yes.  We were on holiday together in 1961 or 62.  We were best friends at the time....

Here's another oldy for you.  Me and Me dad.  My spell checker flagged 'oldy' and suggested 'moldy'.  I know it's old but I don't think it's that bad.  :biggrin:  Anyway probably taken sometime in 1945.  Just before my dad got out of the Navy.

TandD_Transfer.jpg

• Upvote 5

Here's my maternal Great Grandfather Pearson and Grandmother around 1900.  I'll try to get full names before the edit button disappears... This particular Grandma Pearson died at some point and Grandad Pearson re- married. I'll try to post the pic of his second wedding later.

The children, as far as I can work out are my maternal Grandmother Ida, and her sister Flo.  Ida married and lived with Grandad Jack on Bulwell Hall Est until his death and ended her days in sheltered accomodation off Gainsford Crs.Bestwood.  Flo lived with her hubbie George Burgin in their shop on the corner of Gordon St, off Vernon Rd Basford.  The building is still there but no longer a shop.  When widowed, Flo lived in one of the streets opposite that are also still there and back onto the railway.

21309989182_bdecd978bf_z.jpg

• Upvote 5

And here is Ida some 20+ years later on the day she married my maternal Grandfather Jack Whyman MM.  in 1921.

21294448886_ce70239876_z.jpg

Fondly remember them both.

Col

• Upvote 5