Members 'Nostalgic Age' Photos.

I'm usually told by those who knew us both that I strongly favor my dad. Glad. I resemble 'em both anyway ;)

Interesting to see all these good folks.  They were indeed a great generation.

Side note:. It is said you start to look like your pet after a few years.  Hmmmmm!

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is me aged about 9 or 10 with my grandma.  Mum used to curl my hair in rags each night as my hair was never naturally curly!   It's only photo I have with my grandma... she was quite old whe

Me 1968/9 on me bike outside house I was born 28 Brixton Road Radford Nottingham Arms in the background. 

I put these together for a book 'wot i rote', makes you think when your lifes compressed into 15 photo's!

Posted Images

My name sake was a beautiful red head, slightly over weight, but extremely cuddly. The most appealing eyes and liked being spoilt!

Sometimes she behaved and sometimes very naughty, and always liked the best things in life, and the little bo99er always nicked my chair!!!

Oh by the way, she was a Gorgeous Irish Red Setter, named.....you guessed it Carni!

Sorry I got carried away and went off topic.:rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

#527 Col. I seem to remember that on Bulwell Lane, that runs parallel to Vernon Road, there used to be Burgin's timber yard?  Any relation? Bit of a co-incidence if not. Our uncle - at left in the 4 generations photo, lived slightly higher up at number 229 Vernon Road.

• Upvote 1

Dave #532.

Yes.  Uncle George.  ( Technically my Great Uncle), had a wood yard and also allotments.  He had the shop as described above, and the the wood yard and allotments were on the opposite side of Bulwell Lane from that end of Gordon St.  The last time I was in the house behind George's shop would be around 1962/3.  It was a late Summer evening and I'd been out on my bike, at something of a loose end, just riding round the general area.  The weather got very wet and thundery, so I called on Auntie 'Florry' and Uncle George.... mostly to just get out of the rain, if I'm honest.  Florrie gave me a cuppa and then I set off home.

Last time I looked was last year when my brother was painting out a house on Vernon Rd. more or less opposite the end of Gordon Rd.  The area where George's woodyard and allotments once were, is now occupied by fairly recent new build housing.

George sold things such as hardboard, new timber and also re-cycled timber.  Any off-cuts were bundled and sold in his grocer's shop as 'firewood' or 'kindling'. Produce from his allotments and greenhouses were also sold in his shop.  As I think I've said on here previously..... old George didn't miss a trick...  ;)

I'm struggling to get onto the PC. at present as Mrs Col has another translation on the go, but in the next couple of days I'd like to put up more pics.  I think the ones I've put up so far fit the 'Nostalgia' theme both as personal stuff for me, and pics of general interest for Nottingham folk, but I'll also be putting up some more recent pics from a mere 50 years or so back.  :)

Col

• Upvote 2

My dad, outside Shakespeare Street register office circa. 1950.ish. Don't know much about him, he died when I was aged 7, him being aged 44 yrs.

Just realised that he would have been 102 years old yesterday !

img011_zpszny9es33.jpg

Mrs Catfan & her childhood hero her grandad at Skegness circa 1959.

img014_zpscqrwyoqg.jpg

Her grandad, picture taken in the war years.

img013_zpspkmreg3p.jpg

• Upvote 9

Catfan, great photos.  Tell Mrs C that she is still easily recognisable from the photo of her - still beautiful! 

• Upvote 2

My Father (Rex Harvey) and Grandfather (Edward Harvey). Photo taken March 25th 1940. My Father is the one with his dad's hat and rifle. I don't know who the scruffy kid at the front of the picture is. This is very likely the last photo that was ever taken of my grandfather and I suspect that this was taken while on leave. It is most likely in the back garden of 25 Melbourne Road. He was in the Royal Engineers in France in the so called 'phony war' laying parquet floors in French châteaux.  He came out of France at Dunkirk in one of the little ships in 1940 and was injured in the process. He died in 1942 aged 48 of stomach cancer that was believed to have been caused by the injuries received. Between the wars he was Master Carpenter on the Nottingham Canal. I never knew him of course.

14jn974.jpg

• Upvote 7

Radfordred.  Fab pics!  Thank you!

• Upvote 1

Eeyar.  Heres another.  I have a vague memory of this being taken in a photo studio in Nottingham.   Must have been around 1950.  My dad was called up again back to the navy for the Korean war.  I spent a lot of my formative years with my mam or my grandma.  Still seems like yesterday.

DaveMay311951.jpg

• Upvote 4

Aright have another, tried to find its place yesterday thought it was that hut (church hall) opposite St.Peters church on Hartley Road/Churchfield lane, but I was not? Any Guesses?

I would like to retake the photo with my 84 year old Mam x & 48 year old brother, where did i put that corduroy jacket?

425089506_568f256c85_z.jpg

• Upvote 10

I'm gradually getting closer to the present day.. but it seems a shame to miss all of these lovely old pics.

Here's my Mum being Carnival Queen at Springfield School Bulwell Hall.  Mid 1930s I think.

20699583473_5d5285d320_z.jpg

And now, leaping forward in time to a mere 60+ years ago!!!   It's Mum, Dad my late big Sis and me.  I think it may be somewhere like Yarmouth because I'm told we went there, but I don't recall this being taken and it could easily be a day trip to Skeggy.  I look about 3 at the most, making it about 1952 ish.

20699577063_3d67bfaae6_z.jpg

Col

• Upvote 2

Compo.  Post #1.  Is that a People's College Scarf you're wearing?

Col

Moving forward a bit further in time.  This time, the whole crew, including little Bro, Phil.  He was born June 1955 so I'm guessing the pic was around 1956.  I'm especially proud of my 'gormless' NHS specs look.  I reckon I influenced Lennon.. ;)

21320668165_2f58ca2ef9_c.jpg

Col

• Upvote 2

Nice pictures Col. I still think that the one of you holding hands with your big sister is the nicest ever posted on this forum. It wonderfully expresses the times and the children of those times.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Dave,

The pic of Pam and me is very nice so I'll put it up again here, though I must say that RadfordRed's pics, especially #538 are fab too and so are many of the others.

Incidentally it's only just dawned on me that I wasn't wearing specs in this pic but I definitely got them when I was 5, so maybe later that year.

21328838271_af9578bf24_c.jpg

I've often wondered about the chap who took this pic.  He just approached us in the street.  I recall him being a young man.. anything from maybe 18 ish to early 20s.  So if he was 20 in June 1955 he'd be early 80s now and could well still be about.

Col

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

You can read a lot in to a photograph (whether it's there or not). First impression is of a couple of Bisto kids. Then we have you with no smile, leaning on your sister and holding her hand for assurance. If it needed a caption I would put 'We don't have much but we have each other'. Pleased you put it on again, Col, because I can never find the original post.

Edit. #549. Ref topic on a different thread recently;  note the Austin.saloon on right of pic has its trafficator extended. 

• Upvote 2

My Great Granddad George Chilvers b.1850. Head Maltster at Beeston Brewery Co. for many years. His son W.G.Chilvers was also a Maltster. George's earliest recorded working life was as a Stock-keeper on a farm in Norfolk age 11

photo George Chilvers b.1850_zpsh1dblbxj.jpgphoto Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 10.35.57_zpsx6qajt0u.png   

W. G. Chilvers and family after emigrating to Australia the child (H.C.Chilvers) seated 2nd right is bottom right in NSW team with a certain Mr. D.G.Bradman.

photo W.G.Chilvers Alice Maud and children_zps8t67mggj.jpegphoto new south wales cricket team 1934_zps9kw8egq6.jpg

• Upvote 4