Members 'Nostalgic Age' Photos.

MargieH

He could afford to have it well groomed and very similar to todays Hipster trend. Apparently he was a rich man in the 1890s earning £800 per year, unfortunately in his bankruptcy proceedings he was said to be spending £900.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is me aged about 9 or 10 with my grandma.  Mum used to curl my hair in rags each night as my hair was never naturally curly!   It's only photo I have with my grandma... she was quite old whe

Me 1968/9 on me bike outside house I was born 28 Brixton Road Radford Nottingham Arms in the background. 

I put these together for a book 'wot i rote', makes you think when your lifes compressed into 15 photo's!

Posted Images

Another Great Granddad involved in the beer trade, William Burder Brumby b.1855 - alcohol must be in my genes and I do try my best to keep up.

Publican, Innkeeper, Farmer, horse breeder and dog breeder he also still found the time to sire his own brood of 11

Tempest arms_zpszlgjvcfd_1.jpg~c100.jpeg

His son James Leonard Burder Brumby emigrated to the U.S.A. in 1913 and became a leading dog breeder/handler.

Leonard Brumby b England 1899_zp                                  Leonard%20%20Brumby%202_zpscacncvd0.jpg~

Below Granddad Herbert Webb and most of his grandkids I'm in the middle on the floor

His sister married Len Brumby - Len's sister married Herbert

Last pic is me, mam must have used up all of her coupons to buy that coat.

Herbert%20webb%20%20grandkids_zpst1hhthx                                    David%20prince%20abt%201949%201_zpsealcd       

• Upvote 2

Dave, I think your ancestors were 'go getters' - didn't let the grass grow under their feet!  It's good  when people decide to really make something of their life.  At the end of their lives they could look back and see that they had really achieved something.  Paul and I were talking the other day about what people would remember us for... and particularly what we'd LIKE them to remember about us.  We came to the conclusion that our demise almost certainly wouldn't make the TV news and, after the grandchildren had gone in less than 100 years from now, we'd just be names on someone's Family Tree, unless one of our descendants has kept photos and some DVDs/videos/Super8 cine film (and has access to something to play them on!)

RR I had some skates like that... loved them.  You were very cute btw

• Upvote 1

This was taken when I was 4. I was on my own while mam went to a neighbours for a cuppa, and the photographer came to the door and asked to take my photo. When I told mam about it when she came home, she went spare. Not because a stranger had come to the door, but because she didn't have the chance to clean me up, change my clothes etc. Oh the good old days, when you were safe to be left on your own and talk to strange men!

201210_zpsaqsqbofy.jpg

• Upvote 7

This time mam knew the photographer was coming, and she was able to 'tart' me up! Curled my hair, ribbon in, and party frock. The frock was lemon, and the bolero was white with lemon trim. I wore that outfit for all the parties on the street, for ages. I was about 9 on this photo.

img100_zpsfpn24rpz.jpg

• Upvote 6

Both are beautiful, katyjay and you are still recognisable from these early photos!

Margie #558

I have always been impressed by what they did, in the case of George Chilvers not sure if it was a plan or circumstances dictated his action. His future wife gave birth to a daughter in 1871, the weekly wage for a labourer in Norfolk was 8s 0d, in the north it was 14s 0d. Both good reasons to move on.

GG.George left Norfolk for Leeds in 1871 married a girl from his home village 1872 his occupation was labourer.

He left Leeds for Nottingham 1882 occupation Maltster.

He left Nottingham for Sawbridgeworth Essex 1887 occupation Maltster's Manager, employing Maltster's at £70 a year.

Left Sawbridgeworth and returned to Nottingham 1900.

Just the logistics of moving home over large distances in those days seems daunting, I don't think Pickfords were around then.

• Upvote 1

#559 &560. Little gels grow up to be big gels.

How about a Nottstalgia Ladies' calendar? We have a start; we need just eleven more. Let's see now, there's carni, Cranky Pig, Lizzie M,  Hippo Girl, SueB48, MargieH Jill Sparrow, NonnaB, Melissa and Blondie, plus one more.

Kath%20calendar%20girl_zpsj1hui0wj.jpg

• Upvote 4

How about Ben, as the token male. Wearing his liberty bodice, of course!

I don't know who took that photo of Chulla but he looks rather two dimensional, as though he had a flat head. Could it be that Mrs Chulla caught him ogling his calendar girls?  :wacko:

• Upvote 1

Resemblance? Tell me CT, does katyjay look like a 77-year-old man, Or do I look like a 4-year-old girl?

JS. Me, a flat-head? I'm a three-dimensional person. I saw House of Wax at the Elite in 1953.

Siddha, Oh no I don't!

CT. Where was the photo of me taken?

Yes, Benji stripped down to his liberty bodice would make a good calendar picture, As would JS wearing a red beret and grey flannels and a cheeky pout whilst holding two moggies close to her. (In yer dreams, Chulla)

• Upvote 2

#575. I stop taking the horse pills tomorrow in readiness for the chemo. Maybe that will dampen my ardour:angry: Ardour, what's that? Oh yes I seem to remember it, vaguely.

• Upvote 4

#560. Off subject I know, but I have given examples of dad's handiwork in the past and there is some in this photo. The living-room wall at the back of KJ. It was decorated in panels made up from a plastic paint, that was much thicker than normal paint. While it was still tacky it was rag-rolled or something similar to get the texture required. The edges and borders were scraped using a straight-edge and a narrow blade. The zig-zag border was a stencil that he cut. When finished and everything had set hard he painted it in a light beige and brown scheme.  It could, of course be repainted in other colours if necessary - it would last for ever. 

• Upvote 1