Members 'Nostalgic Age' Photos.

Some time ago I spent the best part of two days copying my negatives and slides onto a PC. Ozt you are so right, I never look at them and can't even remember which PC or drive they're on...

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...
  • Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is me aged about 9 or 10 with my grandma.  Mum used to curl my hair in rags each night as my hair was never naturally curly!   It's only photo I have with my grandma... she was quite old whe

Me 1968/9 on me bike outside house I was born 28 Brixton Road Radford Nottingham Arms in the background. 

I put these together for a book 'wot i rote', makes you think when your lifes compressed into 15 photo's!

Posted Images

Miss Sparrow has asked if I will post this photo on her behalf. It shows the Rev F G Ralph with the choir outside St Peter’s church Radford in 1953/4. Jill’s parents were married here by Rev Ralph in 1949. Incidentally I was married here too in 1974 but not by Rev Ralph.

IMG-7646.jpg

Many thanks, Mr Letsavagoo (as we're being formal today). Credit for this photo goes to David Worsdale who is a member of this site, although he hasn't visited for a while. I've been chatting to him on Facebook about Berridge, where he was a pupil. He told me he was a member of the choir at St Peter's and, as such, would have sung at my parents' wedding in 1949. 2/6 per wedding. 7/6 per funeral, plus the rest of the day off school for being too upset to concentrate on lessons after seeing the coffin. That wouldn't happen today.

I know Revd Ralph officiated at the marriage of CTs parents.  The photo dates from 1953/4. More information to follow.

David Worsdale (wearing the Leading Choirboy medal) is standing to the left of the Choirmaster, Mr Mason, as you look at the photo.  David Lockwood stands next to David Worsdale. Between Revd Ralph and Mr Mason is Patrick Camm, whose family started Camm's Coaches (more of which later on). To the right of Revd Ralph stands Tommy Edmunds.

Apparently, Choirmaster, Mr Mason, had a brother named Edward J Mason. Along with a Geoffrey Webb, Edward J Mason was one of the originators of the radio saga, The Archers, in the 1950s.  Edward J Mason attended a carol service at St Peter's one year and took the whole choir out for a meal afterwards.  Singing in the choir hath its advantages.

I remember The Archers on the radio in my younger days; I wouldn't say I listened to it but I was aware of it.  I also remember the end credits being read out, and Edward J Mason is one of the names which immediately registered with me.

That's made me think of weekday evenings in the early 1960s.

Thanks. CT, as always.

This cutting and photo appeared in an old copy of Bygones.  The Revd Ralph appears here in civvies plus clerical collar but minus his vestments. Presumably, the children are entering via the gate on the corner of Hartley Road/Churchfield Lane as I'm told it was the only entrance in the 1950s.  David Worsdale tells me that it was rebuilt in 1952 in honour of the accession of Queen Elizabeth II but from what I can see in this photo, it doesn't look like the present entrance.  There is now an entrance further down Churchfield Lane, built in the same style as the main entrance with an attached plaque stating that it was built in memory of Sir John Anstey (Player's).

Mention here, too, of nearby Forster Street school. Known, I'm sure, to our own Beekay.

Going back to the photo of the choirboys, the lad on the far right is Robert King (born 1942). He also appears on one of the older Berridge photos I've been trying to date.  Don't know whether he's related to Beekay. Robert's mother was a talented seamstress who made all the choir cassocks and surplices.

Yes Jill it is known to me, although i never went to that school, some of my pals did. I was though, a frequent visitor to the pawn shop on the opposite corner. I attended Douglas Road junior school 1948 to 1953, before progressing to boulevard school. Also known as Radford academy for sons of retired gentle folk.

I thought that, CT. I could understand it if she had been born after WWII, possibly to someone who had been in the RAF (Per Ardua ad Astra) but that's clearly not the case here. She probably ended up being known as Sheila!