I now know that there was a daily train to Annesley colloquially called the DIDO (day in day out) but I remember a reference to "Dickie Dido's cave", which was supposedly somewhere along the trackside at Bulwell Common, cut into the sandstone. Anyone else remember this?

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

Was Dickey Dido's also a pub somewhere, that was full of cobwebs that were never cleaned? or am I getting confused again.........................

Also a rhyme; "& the hairs on her Dickey Dido hung down to her knees, one black one, one white one............................etc"

She came from Glamorgan wth t**s like a barrel organ, and the hairs on her dicky dido hang down to her knees.

One black one, on white one, and one with a bit of Sh**e on, and the hairs on her dicky dido hang down to her knees.

She wed a coal miner-------------.

Thats all I can remember from the days when rugby songs were all the rage at the White Hart.

true graham I recall that, typically sung on the bus home, yes, us ton up boys didn't drink and ride, ( more likely the bike had broke down or we were already banned for something or other) when I first saw the topic I thought something to do with my dad! his real name was Ernest but known to one and all inc my mother as Dick, something to do with a resemblance to a character in a kids comic of the time ( 1920,s) called "Dicky Dogbird"

i too remember that ace and ash along with zigger zagger

• 10 months later...

Dicky Dido's cave was south of the sandstone 'fork' cutting going into Bulwell Common Station, between the 'Golden Ball Bridge' from St.Albans Road to the crossing at Cantrell Road. It was not so much a cave, but a 'dug out' into the sandstone. Spent many hours walking up and down the disused cutting as a teenager and sheltering in Dicky Didos cave to have a 'fag' if it was raining along with a few other 'likely lads'. We would have gone in the Golden Ball if the landlord would have let us, but alas he thought we were too young. Good Job 'Jack' at the Oxford, and the landlord of The 'Billy' didn't care how old we looked, as long as we could pay for the pints of 'mixed'. Hope this helps :) Steve.

Dicky Dido's cave was south of the sandstone 'fork' cutting going into Bulwell Common Station, between the 'Golden Ball Bridge' from St.Albans Road to the crossing at Cantrell Road. It was not so much a cave, but a 'dug out' into the sandstone. Spent many hours walking up and down the disused cutting as a teenager and sheltering in Dicky Didos cave to have a 'fag' if it was raining along with a few other 'likely lads'. We would have gone in the Golden Ball if the landlord would have let us, but alas he thought we were too young. Good Job 'Jack' at the Oxford, and the landlord of The 'Billy' didn't care how old we looked, as long as we could pay for the pints of 'mixed'. Hope this helps :) Steve.

thats the one i'm thinking of. funny you should mention the golden ball in that respect too, because in the early 80's there was one of the first space invader machines installed in the passageway between the bars, and us 14-15 year olds would hang around outside the door, then nip in to play it, if we thought the landlord wasn't looking!

• 3 months later...

I now know that there was a daily train to Annesley colloquially called the DIDO (day in day out) but I remember a reference to "Dickie Dido's cave", which was supposedly somewhere along the trackside at Bulwell Common, cut into the sandstone. Anyone else remember this?

Yes i remember this as we played in it in the 50 s