Aerial views of Arnold, Daybrook and Redhill

I know quite a few people on this site were/are from these areas. Picture the Past have a new batch of photos which include aerial shots of these parts of North Nottm at various times over the years.

Here's the page which has the thumbnails to click on. Hit "previous" and "next" and there are quite a few more.

http://www.pictureth...=search&page=54

Thanks CT. By pure coincidence I was searching on the area on Picture The Past yesterday and spotted some of these new images. Some nice new ones also of the old Guide House on Mansfield Road and Arnold town centre.

Always worth remembering to check back on that site now and again to see if any new images have been posted.

There ya go...another example...That Guide House should never have been demolished.Surely the first house with history you come to as you approach Nottingham from the North should have been preserved.They could have developed to the rear but left this building.

I know you can't preserve everything but this should have been listed.

The Guide House was an amazing building. Upstairs had around 18/19 bedrooms arranged either side of a long central corridor. The old kitchen was to the left at the front of the building. The farming family used to sit and eat 'tea-soaky' (toast dipped in a bowl of tea) in there before a day on the fields.

It is my understanding that permission was not granted to demolish the building fully. A requirement was to retain the façade of the building but what was kept was merely the short front garden wall only which now stands in front of the modern bungalow in the same spot. All allegedly of course but I have a very good source..Disgusting.

A pretty similar story regarding the old building that housed The Arriba Club on Bottle Lane.

The owners of the building , Messers Geo Aitkin et al (As I'm lead to believe , again by Mr Reliable Source!!) wanted to build that carbunkle that's on the site now but 'accidentally' demolished most of the grade 2 listed building that stood there (And a veritable den of iniquities it was too !!) it was only through a rapid interjection by a council wallah that the demolition was halted and scaffolding was then thrown up to support what bit was left. Of course this was not robust enough to support it 'long time' and whilst the court wranglings went on, and on, and on, ad infinitum, it eventually collapsed during a good gust of wind !!

Exactly, once the deed is done...there is no return. All that history and all that is left are a few black and white photographs.

(Can some kind admin please delete my double post post above, thanks - sorry connection problems).

A beautiful and distinctive old building - sadly no more.

Thankfully for all of us, they put a cutting through Arch Hill to save us from that 'deplorable ascent of Redhill'!

NCCC002396.jpg

Forest Guide House, Redhill, Arnold, c 1900s-30s

'Built c 1800 and demolished c 1977. It was also known as Gadsbys. The following is extracted from Links with old Nottinghamshire by J Holland Walker:-

'Guide House, Redhill. THE Old North Road is of immemorial antiquity. It joined the North and the South of England together, and crossing the Trent in the neighbourhood of the present Trent Bridge, it passed through Nottingham and so away by Rufford to Blyth and the North. This road was of great importance all through the Middle Ages, and along it passed all manner of wayfarers, some good, many bad. The presence of the latter did not make for the popularity of roads, and so villages gradually developed a little off the road, just as Arnold lies back a trifle to the East of the Old North Road. The roads were largely left to themselves, and for the most part led the anxious, thief-expecting wayfarer through remote and uninhabited districts. Gradually it was found safer to take the more devious roads that passed from village to village, and so the great trunk roads became more and more lonely. Moreover, no provision was made for their upkeep, and in spite of laws and statutes they became choked with thorns and wild growth and more than ever foundrous and perplexing, so that finally guides became necessary to conduct travellers along them from place to place.

For thirty miles, from Nottingham to Blyth, the Old North Road passed through forest land whose intricacies made guides more necessary than ever. The old farm house at the foot of Redhill was a post where such guides could be hired, and in later days it became a change house where fresh coach horses were obtainable before facing the deplorable ascent of Redhill.'Built c 1800 and demolished c 1977. It was also known as Gadsbys. The following is extracted from Links with old Nottinghamshire by J Holland Walker:-

'Guide House, Redhill. THE Old North Road is of immemorial antiquity. It joined the North and the South of England together, and crossing the Trent in the neighbourhood of the present Trent Bridge, it passed through Nottingham and so away by Rufford to Blyth and the North. This road was of great importance all through the Middle Ages, and along it passed all manner of wayfarers, some good, many bad. The presence of the latter did not make for the popularity of roads, and so villages gradually developed a little off the road, just as Arnold lies back a trifle to the East of the Old North Road. The roads were largely left to themselves, and for the most part led the anxious, thief-expecting wayfarer through remote and uninhabited districts. Gradually it was found safer to take the more devious roads that passed from village to village, and so the great trunk roads became more and more lonely. Moreover, no provision was made for their upkeep, and in spite of laws and statutes they became choked with thorns and wild growth and more than ever foundrous and perplexing, so that finally guides became necessary to conduct travellers along them from place to place.

For thirty miles, from Nottingham to Blyth, the Old North Road passed through forest land whose intricacies made guides more necessary than ever. The old farm house at the foot of Redhill was a post where such guides could be hired, and in later days it became a change house where fresh coach horses were obtainable before facing the deplorable ascent of Redhill.'

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NCCC002396&prevUrl=

Done. First time I've done that since I got my new powers !

Thanks CT. Be careful with those magic powers!

Also a heads-up to the likes of Compo etc re this thread generally. There are some really nice new shots on Picture the Past of High Street and it's businesses and yards, including this one of Henry Fish the bakers which I think has been mentioned previously.

NCCC002281.jpg

http://www.pictureth...002281&prevUrl=

• 3 weeks later...

I know quite a few people on this site were/are from these areas.\snip

http://www.pictureth...=search&page=54

Thanks Cliff Ton. Looks like they are building the Home brewery tower in this 1952 picture:

NCCG000256.jpg