Toys from your childhood

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bought Gollywogs as a gift for SWMBO's grandkids but neither she nor her daughter would let me give them to the kiddies. I think it is a shame when adult racist ideas are forced upon children.

I still have my Gollywog - he is a bit shabby almost bald all over.......I call him Tony Sambo and was 3 years old when he was bought for me in Christmas 1948........Still has his blue jacket and polk

The Clangers was a tea time must watch. I loved it but it drove my mother up the wall.

Posted Images

There was a 'limp wristed' version of action man, called Barry, in civvy life he was a ladies hairdresser.................but enlisted in the army, when asked by the sergeant in bayonet training, could you kill a man?...........................Barry coyly answered, 'eventually sergeant!!'.............. :blush:

• 1 month later...

I had a pocket solitaire game as a kid, red plastic round case, with white pegs inside. The object was to finish with 1 peg in the middle. I don't ever remember achieving this, but spent hours trying!

An electrical set. Came with some lamp holders for flashlight type bulbs, an electric bell and push button, a couple of switches and some wire and diagrams for how to connect them up etc. Batteries not included. I once tried to solve the battery problem by wiring a regular plug on the end of a circuit. I thought I was pretty smart until I plugged it in. A blown fuse and few burned out bulbs later I began to learn about different voltages and their effects. :-(

I had a pocket solitaire game as a kid, red plastic round case, with white pegs inside. The object was to finish with 1 peg in the middle. I don't ever remember achieving this, but spent hours trying!

i still have one somewere kath

• Upvote 1

rosebud doll with long blond plats and cotton dress knickers shoes and socks by brother gave it to me one year when he came home on leave for christmas only present i remember him giving me

set of tiny baby dolls with cots high chairs play pensthink there were six of each in the set

dolls pram and a baby doll

pettiet type writer

cinderella watch

lady bird books by the dozens used to buy one every week

Notice the "Y" and the "Z" on the Petite Typewriter shown in the linked article are transposed! Was this common on British (or European) typewriters? Or perhaps it was to dodge a patent of some sort?

dont know but made by britains in baseford just round the corner from were i live now they also made the soldiers and cow boys and indiams farm animals i also colected the farm animals my younger brother had the farm but i played with it more than him same with the lego

I can remember having a Hornby trainset for Christmas when I was about 9-10. There was an engine, two carriages and enough track to make a figure 8. After watching it go round and round for five minutes I'd be bored stiff. I stopped playing with it and In the end my parents sold it.

I had a very inquisitive mind as a child and when I got my first electric train set, ran through a transformer, was soon bored with its slow running.

I then decided I got probably "gee it up" a little if I increased the power.

Anyway my clever little mind looked at the power point and thought mmm! so I got some twin flex and poked it in the socket and connected it straight to the lines !

Then switched on the power point ! big bang lots of smoke ! train welded to track, windings in train melted, mum came running in and then I got the good hiding I deserved, ha ha didn't do it again !

Dad had to replace the fuses when he came home, again not happy.

Train set was ruined and beyond repair, so that was the end of my model trains.

As an aside, I later became an electrician and now retired, still love taking things to bits to repair or improve if possible, only now I have far more respect for electricity.

Notice the "Y" and the "Z" on the Petite Typewriter shown in the linked article are transposed! Was this common on British (or European) typewriters? Or perhaps it was to dodge a patent of some sort?

That was well spotted Limey! I've used a typewriter, word processor and now computers for nearly 50 yrs and there has always been a QWERTY keyboard. The US laptop we have was confusing to begin with, the @ is on uppercase 2 but other than that there is no difference.

I spent a single week working in Berlin, just before laptops became affordable. In the office I was given a computer to use with a continental keyboard - everything in the wrong place. Oh dear...talk about hunt and peg. Writing a couple of paragraphs was like trying to push custard up a spout with a knitting needle.

Last Autumn I "found" a box of mostly battered toys that were my kids in the 70s/80s . As they both live a distance away , I took a snap of them and if I can figure out how to link the image you should see it below .

The Noddy car , if it actually contained the Noddy and Bigears figure could have been worth up to £100 .

Strangely neither they , nor I remember the existance of the wooden train track

7424868516_249d49c09d_b.jpg