Toys from your childhood

That track is what you buy nowadays to run Thomas the Tank Engine on, so maybe it's more recent than you think?

I think my kids toy-playing , pre-dated the resurrected Thomas TV cartoon series, (my eldest is 40 next week ) but true , Brio made wooden tracks and trains and went on to produce Thomas merchandise later I think .

Not saying that this is Brio as none of us remember buying it or where it came from .

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bought Gollywogs as a gift for SWMBO's grandkids but neither she nor her daughter would let me give them to the kiddies. I think it is a shame when adult racist ideas are forced upon children.

I still have my Gollywog - he is a bit shabby almost bald all over.......I call him Tony Sambo and was 3 years old when he was bought for me in Christmas 1948........Still has his blue jacket and polk

The Clangers was a tea time must watch. I loved it but it drove my mother up the wall.

Posted Images

Last Autumn I "found" a box of mostly battered toys that were my kids in the 70s/80s . As they both live a distance away , I took a snap of them and if I can figure out how to link the image you should see it below .

The Noddy car , if it actually contained the Noddy and Bigears figure could have been worth up to £100 .

Strangely neither they , nor I remember the existance of the wooden train track

7424868516_249d49c09d_b.jpg

That looks like a Brio train set.

Its not Brio .

Just gone to examine the track for any markings . On one of the plastic track connectors you can just make out the name "MICKI" .

On googling it seems it must be a company called Micki Leksaker and the image here certainly looks similar .

Unlike us to be buying Swedish toys , maybe they were cheaper then ?

http://www.oldwoodtoys.com/micki_leksaker.htm

Invisible Noddy must be up to summat....he's being followed by the police, an ambulance AND the Flying Squad.

Could be something to do with the missing load off the back of the Foden lorry ?

• Upvote 1

my lads had most of the toys on that picture but there train set was a strong plastic type but simmilar way of fitting it together and the plastic cars with the little people were gteat if i remember right they were made by matchbox and there was a set of about thirty fire engines ambulance police train cars practicaly indestructable went in the bath the sand box paddling pool proberbly even got put down the loo too at some point still had them for years untill nieces kids decided they liked them .they could be wased and disinfected very easily too never ruined them used to put them in the bath with hot water and milton sterelizer over night ang then let them drip dry.

Could have been Matchbox .

The helicopter in this pic is Matchbox but the cars are Fisher Price and fitted in this old Fisher Price garage .

Luckily my 2 year old grandaughter loves playing with this when she comes down so its getting a second life .

8511690670_f50a0d22ba_b.jpg

i remember now we had the garage too some of the cars came with it bur others were matchbox wish they made things as good as that now and they wernt that expensive

• 2 months later...

my favourite toy was Escalado, the horse racing game that was fastened to the kitchen table and you would wind the handle like mad and try and win the race.

\snip\

I bought an Escalado game a couple of years ago. Used it once and the mechanism broke. One day I shall get around to fixing it. Great game and in the old days the horses were of course, made of lead :)

• Like 1

Carrot Tops and Winderbreakers, I was pretty poor at those.

Snobs were good 'cos you could also use them to mark out the Hopscotch grid, leave Tracking arrows or write rude words on the wall ! Remember when we were going up to Mapperley top to collect conkers, friend's Dad warned us that the folk up there were posh, so not to go writing "Bum" on the walls !!

• Upvote 1

Anyone have a wooden whip and top?

Well I did have one 50 odd yrs ago. Busy clearing my Dad's house out so I might come across it ..... Why, are you looking for one Compo?!!!

The games of yesteryear were certainly simpler and less expensive than the electronic devices of today. I'm thinking of things like: Snobs, Marbles, Whip and Top, Guns made from a stick, home-made bows and arrows that never worked, Dens, trolleys, pea shooters, telephones from bean tins.

Even the "complex" ones were simpler, like Meccano and Bako - but my guess is that neither would be acceptable today, too many small, pointy, parts!

I also had a building set that had real miniature bricks. You built a house just the way you would build a "real" house. It took forever to build and to take it apart you soaked it in water to dissolve the "mortar". I have no idea what it was called though.

It worked - but I think it took longer than expected!

• Upvote 1

Even the "complex" ones were simpler, like Meccano and Bako - but my guess is that neither would be acceptable today, too many small, pointy, parts!

But if you've got any left in your attic, they fetch some pretty big money. If you take a scroll through here..... http://www.vectis.co.uk/Page/ViewAuctionLots.aspx?AuctionId=445&DayNo=1&Section=127&Sub=0

I wish I did. I gave it all away when I was about 15 to a neighbor. All my "Dinky" toys too - and I KNOW there was one or two in that collection that are worth big money today!

I could just about manage carrot tops - could never get the hang of making window breakers spin, fly or break windows.

Don't remember them but what were carrot tops and window breakers ?

Don't remember them but what were carrot tops and window breakers ?

Both were tops: Carrot top like a round beehive upside down, window breaker like a mushroom.....................I think? Compo will know!!

I also had a building set that had real miniature bricks. You built a house just the way you would build a "real" house. It took forever to build and to take it apart you soaked it in water to dissolve the "mortar". I have no idea what it was called though.

That would have been Brickplayer. I never saw one myself, but it used to be advertised in the Meccano Magazine.

http://www.architoys.net/toys/toypages/brickpla.html