Toys from your childhood

Both were tops: Carrot top like a round beehive upside down, window breaker like a mushroom.....................I think? Compo will know!!

Ah understand now .

Don't think we were really into tops .......probably because our road resembled a ploughed up farm track there was nowhere to spin them !

One of my favourite toys was a spinning gyroscope-type toy that spun up and down on a double sided hand held track .

Now what were they called ?

Simple really , found it..... a gyro-wheel !

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bought Gollywogs as a gift for SWMBO's grandkids but neither she nor her daughter would let me give them to the kiddies. I think it is a shame when adult racist ideas are forced upon children.

I still have my Gollywog - he is a bit shabby almost bald all over.......I call him Tony Sambo and was 3 years old when he was bought for me in Christmas 1948........Still has his blue jacket and polk

The Clangers was a tea time must watch. I loved it but it drove my mother up the wall.

Posted Images

There was like three small wooden blocks criss cross hinged with tape?

They hinged in all different directions?

There was also a magic trick version?

What were they

Some more names from the past:

Slinky

Mr Potato Head

Sooty puppet

Scalextric

Hula Hoop

Frido plastic footballs .the more raised bumps they they had the better

Dinky /Corgi cars that had suspension and steering when you pressed the sides

Trolls......the first time round

Gonks........used to be a shop , top side of the central market on Glasshouse Street that sold lots of these.......Studio 65 ?

Spirograph

Stylophone

Hot wheels

Tiny Tears

Girls World

Space hoppers

Clackers

Wombles

Rubics cube

Teenage Ninja Turtles

Slime

Some from more recent times that I sold lots of :

Trolls again

Yo yo again

Aliens in goo

Power bouncing balls

Pogs

Scoobies ....coloured plastic string for weaving

"Real tough toys for real tough boys.....TONKA!"

Just before Arkwright Street was demolished I bought a huge job-lot of Scalextric stuff from one of the second hand shops. Had great fun with it until I lost it to a divorce.

"Real tough toys for real tough boys.....TONKA!"

They should never have been allowed - this is what spawned the present day craze for chieftain-tank-sized 4x4s driven by one of two types of people. First, there are those who bought them so that they do not need to bother about other traffic at all. "This vehicle will just squash everything else flat, including double-decker buses." Second, there are those who are nervous driving anything bigger than a Peugeot 107, and are also incapable of parking any car less that two feet from the edge of the kerb. So they bumble around at 18mph and stop dead in the middle of the road to pass something going the other way. You will get the idea that I am not a fan of Chelsea Tractors!

• 1 month later...

Over the years, I had a kaleidoscope, bagatelle, compendium of games, toy post office, toy sweet shop, Bayko set, diabalo, whip and tops. And a doll of course, that was bald, and had a new wig fitted each Christmas!

I remember the little celluloid baby dolls in the 1950s that never lasted long, if you were not careful they would dent and once that happened the dent stayed for good,thank goodness for the invention of plastic.

They should never have been allowed - this is what spawned the present day craze for chieftain-tank-sized 4x4s driven by one of two types of people. First, there are those who bought them so that they do not need to bother about other traffic at all. "This vehicle will just squash everything else flat, including double-decker buses." Second, there are those who are nervous driving anything bigger than a Peugeot 107, and are also incapable of parking any car less that two feet from the edge of the kerb. So they bumble around at 18mph and stop dead in the middle of the road to pass something going the other way. You will get the idea that I am not a fan of Chelsea Tractors!

You only need an off-road vehicle for driving OFF-ROAD!

One toy I played with for ages was a little yellow digger. I built an imaginary quarry in the back garden and used the digger to extract material. Having extracted it I would tip it into a lorry and drive it away to the spoil tip. I was very industrious a s a boy!

Seems like you still like digging ,what with both you'r ponds,Lol,my two brothers always had cowboy hats and guns and caps to put in the guns, and tanks that the top used to lift up and down and a little soldier would appear and go back down again.

In St. Anns just after the war toys were almost unheard of. The things that were really popular was marbles in various games, and skimming cigarette cards upto a wall (similar to Nelson`s bouncing canonballs) the nearest card to the wall took the others.

Whip and top was the ultimate. There was the sissy type top that the girls had and the boys one that was streamlined and of a T shape. Boy did they fly! (especially when the string on the whip was replaced with leather.

My father had just returned from 6 years fighting Hitler and guns were strictly banned. He did however give me his old (empty)canvas revolver holster and helmet !

I could never get the hang of the 'mushroom' tops, but was a dab-hand with the carrot variety. Your recollections of all the marble games reminded me of when we cut out holes in a shoe box and wrote numbers over the holes, aiming the marbles through to see who could get the highest score. Us kids were easily pleased in those days. I only ever had one doll (but did have a little pram for her) and one teddy. My Christmas pillowcase always contained a Rupert annual (well until I was about 8 I suppose!), a chocolate Santa and a selection box. I loved drawing and used to get crayons and colouring book. As I got a bit older Santa brought me a Painting By Numbers oil painting set.

I agree with your post Stan (#94), marbles, cigarette cards and a whip and top kept kids amused for hours. When I used to play indoors I'd sort the marbles into the red coloured and blue coloured. The blue coloured would be the Cavalry and the red coloured would be the Indians. You needed a vivid imagination to enact the ambush and battle that would keep me occupied for hours on end. That's how it was in those days and kids were quite happy because they didn't know any different. The days when parents would spend £100+ on one present and the kids would have hundreds of pounds worth of toys crammed into their bedroom cupboard, and never played with, would come many years later.

I always got a Rupert annual, and a classic book, like Black Beauty, Heidi etc. I loved to read and still do.

Talking of Rupert, during the time my mum went out to work,as all women did during the war,the highlight of the day was collecting the Daily Express from the newsagent on Handl street and sitting at Grans feet whilst she read the daily Rupert episode to me

A genuine icon, Rupert Bear has been running in British papers since 1920. I distinctly remember reading a collection of the strips as a youngster and loving the old-time flavor, with the captions outside the pictures (rather than as word balloons). The Golliwog is a bit controversial, but the interesting Wikipedia entry shows Golliwog dolls still on sale and the image still being used on product labels.