Toys from your childhood

How would one know of Ruston Bucyrus. It is a Lincoln Company?Although a full range of steam engines was still being produced at Lincoln, Rustons recognised that the internal combustion engine had come to stay. Their horizontal engines were very successful, and they now entered the field of large multi-cylinder vertical oil engines (see pictures below) They were an immediate success in both industrial and marine applications. Also in the early 1920's Rustons commenced building small petrol/paraffin engines, which had a multitude of uses on farms, in factories, on building sites etc. They were sold in tens of thousands, either as independent engines or incorporated into packages such as lighting sets, pump sets, compressors, mills, mixers etc. Many country houses that had previuously relied on oil for their lighting could now boast electricity, provided very cheaply by a small Ruston engineHistory23.jpg See Ray Hooley's - Ruston-Hornsby - Engine Pages

my grandfather so I believe worked for Ruston gas turbines some time in the early 1950's I also worked for them in the late 1980's just before they changed the name to European gas turbines I was a draughtsman and I think my grandfather was an engineer.

Apologies for deviating off the subject, it was just something I picked up on earlier in this thread.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bought Gollywogs as a gift for SWMBO's grandkids but neither she nor her daughter would let me give them to the kiddies. I think it is a shame when adult racist ideas are forced upon children.

I still have my Gollywog - he is a bit shabby almost bald all over.......I call him Tony Sambo and was 3 years old when he was bought for me in Christmas 1948........Still has his blue jacket and polk

The Clangers was a tea time must watch. I loved it but it drove my mother up the wall.

Posted Images

The Golliwog is a bit controversial, but the interesting Wikipedia entry shows Golliwog dolls still on sale and the image still being used on product labels.

I believe it is now simply known as a Golly.......the apparently offensive bit having been removed :-)

My maternal grandparents always used to buy me a torch for Xmas. The type that had red and green sleeves that could be raised by a small button/lever over the bulb, thus giving a coloured beam of light.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

picture the scene.

its the late 70's and young phil is drooling at the window display in buyrites model/dinky/d.i.y. shop on lincoln street, the centrepeice of the airfix display there was the massive box with the 1/24 scale stuka, and was a model kit i could only dream of having even if i combined my birthdy and xmas pressies!

fast forward to 2012, and after some 30 odd years i finally get my hands on one of these beasts for the first time, and its not turning out too bad, although i've been working on it on and off for a year now. another bit of luck was the fact that a few years ago i know someone in the modelling fraternity who had a bunch of those old "flick to start" motors used in dinky toys, frog spin a prop kits, and these airfix 1/24 scale kits.

2i26dlc.jpg

r1foqv.jpg

*edit* the book in the background is a 1977 copy of ju87 stuka, their history and how to model them which has a detailed build of this kit as well as the details of the real things, i picked up from ebay

Can anyone remember when happy meal (from McDonald's) boxes used to be torn accross the ready-pressed lines and unfolded to be folded into a house or other sort of setting? I remember sitting and making those when I was a kid! The memory popped into my head earlier today

compo i got a reproducktion whip and top in my draw it looks very good till you try to use it just not the same i think they made of wood thats to light just carnt get them to work as well as the old type we had as kids have both carrott type and mushroom or window breakers as we used to call them.

did any ony have the make your own garden kits little plastic flowers and trees green house ect that fitted on a board with little holes

one of thethings i also remember doing at schooll was making a garden on biscuet tin lids with soil moss leaves flowers mirrors for ponds etc

i also have snobs metal jacks marbles yoyo wooden type snap , happy families, skipping ropes . and i always keep dice paper and pencils.

• 1 year later...

SWMBO's dad kept his "Double nines" dominoes but alas, one has gone missing which is a real shame because they are made from Ivory.

• Upvote 1

I remember in the early 70s. One Christmas we bought our son a carrying case with compartments in for Little cars. I can't remember how many cars it held, It could be 24/5? It's a long time ago and I can't remember if it came with the cars already in? It was made by "Matchbox" If I remember correctly. I thought it was great. I used to enjoy putting them all in order as I tidied up after he had finished playing with them! I think it got played with so much, it just fell apart.

I know my brothers always had "Fire Engines" or "TinTanks" at Christmas in the 50s. I used to love the "Tanks", with the little soldier that popped up as you pushed it. I know the "Tanks" had keys to wind them up, but a lot of the toys we had were friction. Much more fun than celluloid Dolls. Not forgetting the Sweet Shops. A must have item for Christmas. When ever I see them in the shops, it brings back the lovely feeling you get when a good memory comes back.

• Upvote 3

I still have my Gollywog - he is a bit shabby almost bald all over.......I call him Tony Sambo and was 3 years old when he was bought for me in Christmas 1948........Still has his blue jacket and polka dot dickie bow, red and white striped legs.....luv him too bits and would never part with him, he will be buried with me............

I also played house with my sisters under the big table in the living room and in the attic when it rained, although we did get nice toys every year at Christmas and birthdays we made cribs, settees and armchairs out of shoeboxes and dolls houses out of big cornflake packets, the big box the groceries was delivered in was made into a television - puppets made with toilet roll holders with old socks stuffed with newspaper for their head's and buttons stitched on for eyes............We played for hours with the button tin, putting the buttons in rows, big ones at the back, small ones at the front, pretending the buttons were children at school and we were the teachers........It's all a bit different today, the amount we spend on children's toys today would have kept us in luxury back then.............

• Upvote 6

Katyjay - We had a sheet over my grandmother's clothes horse to make a tent, (my mum's clothes horse was too big), grandparent's had their own bungalow and lovelly garden, we had a terraced house with a back yard........But we did play skipping with the clothes line and ball games up the wall, roller skated up and down the big entry...............

And you can't beat a "Cardboard Box". Hours of fun: even just sitting inside with the lid pulled over was somehow exiting. For some reason, we all ended up taking it in turns, to sit inside the box, while the rest would dive on top!

• Upvote 1

I remember in the early 70s. One Christmas we bought our son a carrying case with compartments in for Little cars. I can't remember how many cars it held, It could be 24/5? It's a long time ago and I can't remember if it came with the cars already in? It was made by "Matchbox" If I remember correctly. I thought it was great. I used to enjoy putting them all in order as I tidied up after he had finished playing with them! I think it got played with so much, it just fell apart.

One of these? I had practically every Matchbox car ever made, as well as Dinky and Corgi things.

3oCarCarryCase1965.jpg

• Upvote 1

It was such a simple concept......slightly open the 2 steel bars and the bearing heads toward you ( up hill )....the cleverer you are at controlling it the further you could get it to travel...the idea to get to the hole nearest you.....wasn't as easy as it looks.....got bored with it easily....lol

I recall the whip and top, how old am I, don't answer that. I was rubbish at it anyway.

one toy I did have when I was very young about four was a drum. I loved that drum.

While playing out the front one day with said drum a woman past with a little boy,

snatched it of me said that's my boys and walked off. ( scared me for life )

The hoola hoop was a craze with us girls when we were older we could keep them

going for ages.

Toilet roll holders Blondie, no newspaper on a nail fore you then.

• Upvote 2