Toys from your childhood

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bought Gollywogs as a gift for SWMBO's grandkids but neither she nor her daughter would let me give them to the kiddies. I think it is a shame when adult racist ideas are forced upon children.

I still have my Gollywog - he is a bit shabby almost bald all over.......I call him Tony Sambo and was 3 years old when he was bought for me in Christmas 1948........Still has his blue jacket and polk

The Clangers was a tea time must watch. I loved it but it drove my mother up the wall.

Posted Images

The Golliwog is a bit controversial, but the interesting Wikipedia entry shows Golliwog dolls still on sale and the image still being used on product labels.

I believe it is now simply known as a Golly.......the apparently offensive bit having been removed :-)

I bought Gollywogs as a gift for SWMBO's grandkids but neither she nor her daughter would let me give them to the kiddies. I think it is a shame when adult racist ideas are forced upon children.

• Upvote 6
  • 1 year later...

How many of you had a pair of these shoes.I loved mine, I had a few pairs over time; some with flowers on the front or twinkly bows. I couldn't keep them on, my feet would slide down and out the front of the shoe, leaving about 4inches sticking out the back. I loved the clonking sound when I walked, I felt really grown up.

l

'>2e14b0e2-3cf0-4566-be93-68f1636ea853.jpg

I remember those shoes! I always wanted some but was told "no". The reason given was that they were bad for your feet. Instead, when we played dressing up we used to wear my friend's mum's old high heels! This was nothing like as good as the pretty plastic ones and with modern knowledge of hygiene plastic would have been better. We still had loads of fun!

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

Something on the telly the other day reminded me of a toy I had as a kid. It was called Hocus Pocus, 3 cups, that fitted inside each other. The was a small ball or something between 2 of them and depending how you seperated the cups, depended on seeing the ball or not.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Ahhh, but does he keep you awake at night??  LOL

I had Bayko which I loved, and metal meccano, also an electronic engineer kit which you could use to make things like morse code transmitters and a simple radio. I also collected Action Man stuff. One of my relatives passed on a "visible man" to me which was a teaching aid for the human body. My brother had Montini which was a cheaper version of lego.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, AlanB said:

I had Bayko which I loved ....

I loved Bayko, too.  I remember the corner 'bricks' which had to fit on 3 poles instead of just 2.

• 3 years later...

Lets resurrect this topic again, who had one and was you any good at it, I remember having one when they first came out,(late 1950's) tinplate cars and jus an on/off button to make the things go, wish I still had those cars today, very rare

P1060487.jpg

Rog

• Like 1
On 5/29/2016 at 9:08 PM, katyjay said:

Something on the telly the other day reminded me of a toy I had as a kid. It was called Hocus Pocus, 3 cups, that fitted inside each other. The was a small ball or something between 2 of them and depending how you seperated the cups, depended on seeing the ball or not.

Did you remember those two balls on a stick ? Called kernackers or something of that ilk .

On 6/3/2013 at 5:43 PM, Compo said:

My maternal grandparents always used to buy me a torch for Xmas. The type that had red and green sleeves that could be raised by a small button/lever over the bulb, thus giving a coloured beam of light.

That reminds me of a children's program in the 60s  called Torchy , does anyone remember that along with Fireball XL5 , and the clangers ! 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, David sheridan said:

That reminds me of a children's program in the 60s  called Torchy , does anyone remember that along with Fireball XL5 , and the clangers ! 

I always thought Torchy and Fireball XL5 were a bit naff. But the Clangers were terrific. Who remembers the Soup Dragon supplying the Clangers with Green Soup and for after, Blue String Pudding.

Their "voices" were made by slide whistles almost a cult program where i worked. 

• Like 1

Whip and top and the mushroom shaped top called the window breaker for obvious reasons. Great fun.

Playing Hop Scotsh on the pavement in chalked out numbered sections of the pavement slabs.

Playing marbles in the quieter streets and snobs with friend sitting on the pavement.

Winter warmers made from perforated tins filled with old cloth and sticks of wood lighted with paraffin and swung round on an attached wire that made the burning contents flare with flames.

How childhood entertainment has changed.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

I always thought Torchy and Fireball XL5 were a bit naff. But the Clangers were terrific. Who remembers the Soup Dragon supplying the Clangers with Green Soup and for after, Blue String Pudding.

Their "voices" were made by slide whistles almost a cult program where i worked. 

Throwing Captain Scarlet and Thunderbirds into the mix !!