Toys from your childhood

When I was a kid I always asked for a Mamod steam engine that I'd seen in Beaties but my Mum and Dad could never afford one , there's now loads on ebay , might just buy my 11 year old lad one for chrimbo

a5_1_b.JPG

And my favourite played hours with this was Arnold Palmer's pro shot golf made by Marx

38_1_b.JPG

06_1_b.JPG

come on then what was yours ?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bought Gollywogs as a gift for SWMBO's grandkids but neither she nor her daughter would let me give them to the kiddies. I think it is a shame when adult racist ideas are forced upon children.

I still have my Gollywog - he is a bit shabby almost bald all over.......I call him Tony Sambo and was 3 years old when he was bought for me in Christmas 1948........Still has his blue jacket and polk

The Clangers was a tea time must watch. I loved it but it drove my mother up the wall.

Posted Images

my favourite toy was Escalado, the horse racing game that was fastened to the kitchen table and you would wind the handle like mad and try and win the race.

The thing I really wanted was a train set but all I ever got was soppy dolls.

The Mamod steam engine was bought when I got married to a fanatic but the kids were not into this so they went the way of all flesh, great to fire up though with thrr old meths and cotton wool. Get one you will enjoy it a great deal.

A cool2

What about this one?

The Bayko construction toy was marketed from 1934 to 1967. Bayko is an architectural building system, used for constructing model houses, shops, stations, churches, and similar buildings. Bayko was manufactured from bakelite, and was one of the earliest plastic toys to be marketed. It was invented by Charles Plimpton in 1933, who set up the firm of Plimpton Engineering in Liverpool, England to manufacture the toy. baykcard.jpg

More dangerous than a real building site?

Sliding those wall sections on the metal spikes :Fool:

howtouse.jpg

see Bayko Building Site

I had other game some flight simulator ( forgot the name ) where you tied about 10 feet of string to a door handle and tried to land a plastic plane on a runway , I tied it to the handle of my Mums best vase and when I missed the runway and smashed the vase , the plane went in the Beeston boiler and if Esther Rantzen was around when I was a kid I'm sure my mum would still be locked up for the beating I took .

Hi Barnze, you beat me to it with Johnny Seven. Does anyone remenber the jingle that went with the TV advert for the ultimate present for a bloodthirsty seven year old.

BTW you never see kids playing war nowadays :(

The kid is some places fight real wars..how mad is that????

Meccano and Hornby Dublo were ok, but for me, pride of place was Malcolm.

he stood atop the paraffin stove in my room, and during those long dark nights when there was nothing to do, he would often be my only source of solace and comfort, whether I be whittling the headboard, peeling paper off the wall, or simply playing tents..

he lasted till the winter of 69, when during one particular cold snap my father decided to light the stove, and by the morning he was gone.. the only testament to his existence being a two foot soot ring on the ceiling! .. ah well!

post-25-1132423332_thumb.jpg

Yes I agree, but the Paraffin stove was an old industrial Ruston Bucyrus and would only run on a mixture of paraffin, petrol, and derv.. thus the extreme heat created was enough to flash off any humidity, leaving just the searing heat.. on reflection the soot ring could have possibly been a result of the hydrocarbons within the fuel, but it gave me comfort at the time in thinking it was my old dear friend!

How would one know of Ruston Bucyrus. It is a Lincoln Company?

Although a full range of steam engines was still being produced at Lincoln, Rustons recognised that the internal combustion engine had come to stay. Their horizontal engines were very successful, and they now entered the field of large multi-cylinder vertical oil engines (see pictures below) They were an immediate success in both industrial and marine applications. Also in the early 1920's Rustons commenced building small petrol/paraffin engines, which had a multitude of uses on farms, in factories, on building sites etc. They were sold in tens of thousands, either as independent engines or incorporated into packages such as lighting sets, pump sets, compressors, mills, mixers etc. Many country houses that had previuously relied on oil for their lighting could now boast electricity, provided very cheaply by a small Ruston engine

History23.jpg

See Ray Hooley's - Ruston-Hornsby - Engine Pages

Prior to the new ring road being built, and If travelling to the east coast via Lincoln, the old Ruston works were on the right hand side, just before the approach to Lincoln hill..

nowadays, with speed being of essence there's not much in the line of historical sightings, other than a glimpse of the cathedral from afar, it's a good bet the old Ruston works have been long gone... but maybe not!

Prior to the new ring road being built, and If travelling to the east coast via Lincoln, the old Ruston works were on the right hand side, just before the approach to Lincoln hill..

nowadays, with speed being of essence there's not much in the line of historical sightings, other than a glimpse of the cathedral from afar, it's a good bet the old Ruston works have been long gone... but maybe not!

I wuz born in Lincoln(shire)

My father was a welder at Ruston's when I was very young, probably just before he emigrated to Canada, then on to Los Angeles.

Last time I went to Lincoln the factory was still there under another name.

I dont know its current status but I know who will...

• 1 month later...
Meccano and Hornby Dublo were ok, but for me, pride of place was  Malcolm.

As a kid, my Saturday ritual involved a walk down to the barbers on Broxtowe Lane - armed with written instructions ["short back and sides"] and 2/6d - then a wander down to the library on Nuthall Road for a session poring through the magical National Geographic.

The highlight was always drooling through the window of Lee & Goodjohn's electrical shop at their display of the unattainable Hornby-Dublo model railway stock. So engrossed that one day I didn't even notice the pouring rain, the proprietor - who must have been fed up with my regular appearances at his window - invited me inside for a closer view. He even gave me a damaged wagon, to begin my collection!

Should have been more devious with my haircut money, after a few weeks of saving could have used it to buy a second wagon!

Cheers

Robt P.

poring through the magical National Geographic

Ahem, what was just so fascinating about the National Geographic? ;)

My parents used to subscribe and I was always fascinated by the articles about America and the adverts for products that seemed so glamorous in dull, drab 1960s England.

When we went down to London on the train I always half hoped that we might have a glass roofed observation car behind the Class 40 - just like the ones in the National Geographic.

Memories ...

poring through the magical National Geographic

Ahem, what was just so fascinating about the National Geographic? ;)

My parents used to subscribe and I was always fascinated by the articles about America and the adverts for products that seemed so glamorous in dull, drab 1960s England.

When we went down to London on the train I always half hoped that we might have a glass roofed observation car behind the Class 40 - just like the ones in the National Geographic.

Memories ...

Class 45 surely...

'Whistlers' were very rare in Nottingham, more common in Grantham!

Over the years I've managed to acquire a full set of NG's, from Jan 1947 to date.

It began when I luckily got a 30 year run, for £100, from a book shop on Outram Street, Sutton. Topped up with numerous visits to the book-lovers heaven...Hay-on-Wye, on the Hereford border with mid-Wales.

A place that every book person must visit at least once before they are called to Wilford Hill!

http://www.hay-on-wye.co.uk/bookshops/frameset.htm

Cheers

Robt P.

• 7 years later...

the toys i remember from my child hood (in the 90s)

Pogs

Those rubber cap things you turned upside down waited a few seconds and they popped up, anyone remember those? (poppers i think they were called)

Weebles

A wind up tv that played 'London bridge', Paige got one for christmas that plays mary had a little lamb and shows animals.

Polly pocket

slinkies

Jumping jacks

Cats cradle

I remember having a yellow and blue teapot dolls house thing

Etcha-sketch

Cabbage patch dolls

The aliens in slime that everyone thought if you rubed them together they had babies

To name but a few, got abit carried away there... its a shame kids these days want games for their game consoles, i grew up so happy with simple things like POGS!