Nottm. adverts : are any of these still trading?

Skinner and Rook disappeared in - I think - the 1950s

Don't think Redgate still exist - in fact I can't think of any "Pop men" who are still operating

Midland Red don't exist any more. Buses and Coaches have been regulated, deregulated, nationalised, privatised and I think they are now part of "National" like verything else

Lymn's probably haven't got that old Roller, but they still have stretched Rollers

Skinner and Rook survived into the 1960s. The plot at the corner of Smithy Row/Ling Row East and Clumber Street was redeveloped and Hornes (mens outfitters) occupied the shop onthe corner for many years.

I think Skinner and Rook then moved to premises down a yard off Clumber Street on the left hand side as you walk towards Lower Parliament Street.

Tim

• Upvote 1

I think Skinner and Rook then moved to premises down a yard off Clumber Street on the left hand side as you walk towards Lower Parliament Street.

I vaguely remember that as well, Tim. Looking at one of the "Old Nottingham" books by Douglas Whitworth, he says ".....the store closed in 1955 when the wine business transferred to Maypole Yard" and that is/was a yard on the left side of Clumber Street. So we were both right!

Love the light and shade on the photograph (courtesy of Cliff Ton) of 'Skinner and Rook' and the shops down Clumber Street. First shop at the left - double fronted - is Timpson's Shoe Shop; back in the 'Swingin' Sixties', Clumber Street was renowned for the amount of shoe shops to be found gracing its narrow pavements.

Looks like the streets have become deserted because of a recent downpour but now the sun is out and business will soon be back to normal.

Crikey Mick! I'd forgotten all about good old Arthur Short Plant - the failed gardener.

• 2 weeks later...

i worked in the offices which replaced skinner and rook called Alan House

no idea who alan was?

• 1 year later...

BUMP

These adverts from the Nottingham Evening Post January 1966 . First one is County Sales , whose adverts were great but when I went there never actually found anything worth buying , though come to think of it we may have got our first "Continental Quilt" from there .

It wasn't as we know it today ,a quilt with a removable cover , more of a bit of polyester filling completely sewn into a cheap flowery nylon bag. But they were all the rage at the time and god knows how we cleaned the things .

8599269486_fdd188a6d0_c.jpg

Can't remember Henrys of Wheeler Gate in the same paper from January 1966 but looking at the advert I do remember anti -mist panels for cars !

We used to sell dozens of those at GEM in the old days . Guess that was before heated rear screens were standard issue .

"Ruby vase with Gold horse" sounds a bargain at 2 for 1 shilling !

8598188917_d654dcdb96_c.jpg

Last one .

Would love some of those holidays for that money .

10 days in Switzerland for 22 gns !!!

8599329324_8f9b8a5302_z.jpg

re lyms rolls its still in the bath st window along with the old hand cart they had when they first started up.